• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MCS 3245 q-u-e-s-t-i-o-n-s-?

Another note on the Technics units is the screen printed lettering on the aluminum surface, wipes off very easily. Cannot use alcohol or harsh cleaners. Even vinegar is questionable. Soap and water seems to be ok. It even looks like greasy fingers will wear off the volume numbering. I always look closely at those areas before purchasing.
 
Another note on the Technics units is the screen printed lettering on the aluminum surface, wipes off very easily. Cannot use alcohol or harsh cleaners. Even vinegar is questionable. Soap and water seems to be ok. It even looks like greasy fingers will wear off the volume numbering. I always look closely at those areas before purchasing.
My 3842 looks good in that regard. However, the seller only used air pillows and bubble wrap when he sent out my unit and it arrived with bent bottom corners on the aluminum faceplate. Slightly annoying. I was able to bend them back but the damage is still evident.
 
My 3842 looks good in that regard. However, the seller only used air pillows and bubble wrap when he sent out my unit and it arrived with bent bottom corners on the aluminum faceplate. Slightly annoying. I was able to bend them back but the damage is still evident.
That's disappointing. I get my share of damaged wood cases on receivers, bent face plates on rack mount amps, and about a 50% chance of a smashed turntable cover. I just had to bend a corner back on a big amp. I managed to not damage the paint, but it is not perfectly flat anymore and the amp was near mint otherwise.
 
Both of the 3840 and 3842 are 45 wpc. Only difference is cosmetic - color scheme on the face. Same with the 3860 and 3862. Both are 60 wpc, with differences only on the face. Nice sounding amps, but very few have survived over the years. They were Panasonic rebadges, with a few cosmetic changes. The 3760 tuner looks like a Technics ST-Z45 to me. The amps look 'somewhat' similar to a Technics SU-Z45 (maybe more like the Panasonic version?).
 
Hi, I'm new to AK, but have visited this site many times over the years researching issues with various pieces of vintage gear I've collected. I'm a big thrift store junkie. My most recent finds were the MCS 3245 Stereo Receiver and 3563 Stereo Cassette Deck (both found at the same store, but weeks apart). This thread has taught me a lot about both units. I wanted to thank everyone for the knowledge they've shared. I coveted these MCS stereos since I was a teenager looking at them in JCPenny stores in malls in Toledo, Ohio back in the day. Of course they were way out of my price range at the time. lol I had no idea they were actually pretty darned good units as attested to here by some of you, but they sure looked cool. So, I was taken aback when they showed up in a thrift store I frequent here in Denver, CO.

Here I've learned the 3245-10 (black tuner and meter backing plates) was designed by Arvin in the USA and manufactured by Capetronics in Taiwan. Sticker on back indicates it was made in January, 1981. The tape deck was made by NEC in 1978.

I'm happy to report both are reasonable functioning and pretty clean considering their ages, but do have some issues. I think I just need a new belt for the tape deck as playback is a little wobbly at times and it shuts off intermittently. One digital meter pegs all the way to the right, but with a tap on the top it functions normally. I've cleaned the head and capstan with tape head cleaner. As for the 3245 I've had it hooked up in my office over the last couple days trying to work out some kinks. I had it hooked up to a computer and streamed digital music via the AUX channel. It sounded fantastic! Wow! Very impressed. I just brought it home and hooked it up to my main stereo rig with my best turntable(1979 Kenwood KD-3070 I restored). So far the biggest issues are the FM tuner selector switch which was scratchy and either would not play the radio or fall in and out, and the Phono 1 switch would not engage so the red indicator light wouldn't come on. I sprayed some contact cleaner on the switches the best I could since they are underneath a circuit board attached to the back of the front panel. This did recover the Phono1, but the FM is still intermittent. The tuning gauge stays dead center when the switch won't engage, but the red light is on. At one time I did get stations to come in and got the red stereo light to come on and it sounded fantastic, but it eventually just stopped working again right in the middle of being tuned into a station. I played records via the turntable and it sounded fine, but I got some feedback on the stylus when playing at high volumes with the bass turned up too high. (I have an EQ hooked up to the other amp I'm using and this eliminates this issue so I'm confident it will do the same with the 3245 when I get it added to the system properly, so no big deal). The only other thing is two bulbs are burnt out. I guess I'll look into replacing with LEDs. Any suggestions as to which ones I should look for?

So, I guess the only real issue is with the FM tuner. Anyone know why this may be cutting out? I might try spraying more contact cleaner, but taking off the front panel to get better access to the selector switch on this unit is over my skill level. lol We have a really good vintage electronics repair store here. I night consider bringing it to him and having him give it a go over as I think this unit is definitely a keeper! Everyone who has seen it comments, "It's beautiful!" Currently I really only want to play vinyl and digital music anyway, so for that, it's pretty much working OK.

Thanks for letting me share my MCS story.

Here are some pics of the beasts:
IMG_20191206_163334904-01-XL.jpg

IMG_20191205_132012653-X2.jpg

IMG_20191204_100301892-X2.jpg

IMG_20191206_143819560-X2.jpg

IMG_20191206_143743398-XL.jpg

IMG_20191205_091709525-X2.jpg
 
Very cool story, Navanoise - and welcome to AK! Those two pieces look great together.

The 3245 most likely just needs more cleaning of the input switches to get the FM back - and the tuning meter working. I think the date code on the back is "C011", which is actually November of 1980.

The 3563 is such a great deck. The pegged meter on one (or both) channels usually means the record slide switches inside the unit need a good cleaning with deoxit. It's really easy to do - just (with the power off) spray deoxit into the long slide switches mounted on the circuit board. They are easy to spot - and are connected to the tape mechanism with a long metal bar. With the switches sprayed, work the record function many times. Just put a tape in (with tabs still in place), and press record and play - then stop. Do this MANY times, and that will clean out the record slide switches on the board. Let it all dry, and see if it clears up the issue. If not (rarely), then some of the switches on the front may need some cleaning.

The intermittent stopping of a tape is usually a weak belt for the tape counter. It's a few little belts (not the main belt) that grow weak over 40 years. If they can no longer turn the counter, the deck thinks you have come to end of a side on the tape, and it shuts off. If the counter still turns, it may be getting hung up when turning over to the next hundred - like it will stop when 399 tries to turn over to 400 - or some combination like that. Sometimes running it through a few fast forward cycles will help get it working again - sometimes those little belts need to be replaced. Not sure what size they are, but that's usually the culprit.

Good luck with them, and thanks for the pictures.
 
Awesome score on that gear! I have had several 3245s over the years. I still have one I need to go through and restore. I personally don't like LEDs in receivers because of the flicker and intensity. I have also had experience where LEDs caused AM interference. I use 194 type sockets and bulbs in these. You can get 194 type LEDs or bulbs in many colors. Your choice. These sockets are the ones I use and fit the hole size in the light reflector.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Connect...ail-T10-168-194-rubber-wedge-LED/262440708101
The wires need to be extended an inch or two for the lights on the end. You can see them in the photo.DSCF1010.JPG

i typically only use three bulbs if using clear. 194 bulbs are about 250mA, where the originals were 150mA. So three ends up pretty close to original.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply, Rob! And thanks for the correction on the manufacturing year.

I think I will give it another go with the FM switch then. I had to unplug a plastic connector to that board to get to those. Will try again since it did work with the Phono1.

As for the tape deck, I was wondering about that! I had taken it the cover off to look at the belt and saw those record switches and actually sort of moved them a little just out of curiosity mostly and magically when I put the cover back on the meter worked again. I had no idea I may have accidentally done something right. lol Good info about the tape counter belt too. Will check that out! Thanks, again!
 
Awesome score on that gear! I have had several 3245s over the years. I still have one I need to go through and restore. I personally don't like LEDs in receivers because of the flicker and intensity. I have also had experience where LEDs caused AM interference. I use 194 type sockets and bulbs in these. You can get 194 type LEDs or bulbs in many colors. Your choice. These sockets are the ones I use and fit the hole size in the light reflector.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Connect...ail-T10-168-194-rubber-wedge-LED/262440708101
The wires need to be extended an inch or two for the lights on the end. You can see them in the photo.View attachment 1693008

i typically only use three bulbs if using clear. 194 bulbs are about 250mA, where the originals were 150mA. So three ends up pretty close to original.

Perfect. Thanks so much!
 
Just did some tinkering and I'm pretty sure all above issues are resolved with both tape deck and 3245! First I cleaned the record levers on the tape deck and cleaned all the belt wheels and rollers and other mechanical parts I could see. Those belts all look OK best I could tell. I ran the tape that was giving me problems yesterday and both meters worked great and the thing did not shut off in the middle of the tape. Yay!

As for the 3245 I did several rounds of trying to spray more contact cleaner in the FM selector switch and it was acting pretty much the same...in and out...mostly out. I happened too poke around the tuner mechanism itself and there a plastic adjustment potentiometer(?) on the left top. When I tapped it the tuner sprang right into action. I sprayed a bit of contact cleaner in it and slightly moved the screw adjustment back and forth and now the FM tuner is picking stations like crazy! Stereo light and meter are functioning normally.

Now for getting some new bulbs at some point (it does still have two working ones so not a huge emergency).

Thanks again guys! Cheers!
 
Good job! That adjustment on the tuner capacitor is the local oscillator trimmer cap. Turning that will change where the stations align on the dial. So tune in to a station and adjust it until it lines up.
 
Good job! That adjustment on the tuner capacitor is the local oscillator trimmer cap. Turning that will change where the stations align on the dial. So tune in to a station and adjust it until it lines up.

Not knowing what I was doing that's what I did. lol Worked great! Thanks!
 
I neglected to mention I got the MCS 3245 for $40 and the deck for $20. I couldn't really test the receiver as that thrift store only had one speaker to hook up, but I managed to figure out it powered on and the Front R and L channels worked. So, thought it was worth the risk. (no returns at this store) I'm a very happy camper now!
 
The 3245 was $399.95, and the 3563 was $279.95. Some markets were $10 higher, and most were sold as part of a package deal - that saved around 30% or so off of MSRP.
 
And that's why I ended up getting a Montgomery Wards combo phono, 8-track, cassette, AM/FM stereo from my parents for my 16th birthday that year. Trust me I was happy to have it, but as I mentioned above, my eyes were on something different. :rflmao:

Vintage-Montgomery-Ward-Stereo-Model-6340A-record.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thank you TomBig58!

So, I've been looking into bulb replacement options. Still considering LED mentioned above, but came across this guy on eBay selling these as incandescent replacements. for original 3245 bulbs.
s-l1600.jpg


And I pulled a burnt bulb from the reflector on mine and here's what it looks like (came out easily).
IMG_20191211_165941070-XL.jpg

IMG_20191211_165917466-XL.jpg

IMG_20191211_165744634-XL.jpg


Obviously the eBay ones are different and would somehow need to be soldered and there's no metal sleeve to insert into socket. I'm kinda liking the original as far as brightness/feel, but looks like snipping some wires and replacing with the LED sockets sets mentioned above would not be too difficult. hmmmmm
 
Back
Top Bottom