I just got back from a Freedom Hill here in MI where the American Veterans Traveling Tribute has set up their monument. My daughter wanted to go for her History class, so I drove here over. Here's a bit about it I found online:
"The monument will be on display at the park over the Memorial Day weekend and is an expanded version of what was displayed at the park during Labor Day in 2005, said Pat Daniels, president of Chapter 154 of the Vietnam Veterans of America, based in Mount Clemens, which spearheaded the event.
“The monument will include ‘The Cost of Freedom,’ which honors those who served in every war the United States has fought in since Vietnam, including 9/11,” Daniels said. The exhibit is more than 370 feet long and 8 feet high, and is an 80 percent scale replica of the Washington, D.C., Vietnam Veterans Memorial, which honors 58,249 men and women who died in the Vietnam War.
The tribute will also include a 10-minute informative presentation on the Michigan Moving Wall, which includes biographies of Michigan Vietnam veterans who lost their lives. "
I'm not a vet, but was in the 1970 Lottery and probably would have been if not for going to college. These memorials are really quite sobering and are something I think more folks need to appreciate.
We owe our veterans, all of them, more than we can ever imagine.
Thank you!