• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pearl Harbor Day

needforspeed

HERE’s JOHNNY.
Subscriber
I know there are quite a few vets here at AK, And just good Americans. Lets not forget our fallen brothers tomorrow, December 7th. Hang a flag, Have a quick thought of what it takes to keep this great country. Robert
 
Register to hide this ad
Since I have to work all day tommorow,7a-7p,and I may not be on here, I will give my thanks to ALL the vets of ALL the wars these great men fought in to defend my freedoms and my way of life. THANK YOU ALL for what you have so unselfeshly given to me and this great country.
 
I'll echo the previous sentiments. Big thanks to all that serve, and have served in the past.:thmbsp:
 
I have a friend who was on Omaha Beach. He doesn't want to talk about it. I respect his wishes. A quiet thank you is in order. A local paper contacted him to hear is story, but he would'nt talk to them. It really dredges up hard memories. He was one of seven who survived of his company and was only wounded mildly. He is a mexican immigrant who gave everything that day. I count myself as lucky to know him. America owes so much to them.
 
Last edited:
"...A Date Which Will Live In Infamy..."

attachment.php


http://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/day-of-infamy/
 
When I think of Pearl Harbor and all the lives that were lost in the Pacific Theatre battles of WWII. I not only feel a great sense of respect for those who fought and the way the whole country got behind the war effort but also I can't help but think, "Hey, they started it, and we finished it." They did their country proud that's for sure. :thmbsp:
 
Walk across that memorial and it is a humbling experience.

In my 57 years, I have rarely traveled much further that a few hundred miles from where I live. Luckily for me, Hawaii is one of my longer jaunts, in the late 70s. That memorial is something I will never forget. Never.

Thanks, guys (and gals)!:thmbsp:
 
My wife and I have been twice. It tears me up! The totality of the destruction and loss of life are hard for us to believe.
 
I know there are quite a few vets here at AK, And just good Americans. Lets not forget our fallen brothers tomorrow, December 7th. Hang a flag, Have a quick thought of what it takes to keep this great country.
Or.......... take your time with this thought, we're at a point in our history right now where this thought has never been more important.

Great thread Robert.:thmbsp:
 
From the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank any and all veterans... because without you,
we wouldn't have this wonderful nation that I like to call, "home".

Scott
 
A day for remembrance

December 6 was a Saturday night. A young man of 20 years named William had a date with his girlfriend Rebecca, age 18. The details of the date are lost, but I am sure it was modest, for both were from farm families. That Saturday night, William asked Rebecca to marry him and she said yes. They decided to marry in the spring, since the cost of a real wedding was out of reach for them.

I am sure that as Sunday morning came and the day moved on, they both thought about how their world would change once married. They did not know how much their world was about to change. Later that day, the news came about Pearl Harbor. On Monday, FDR went to congress to request a declaration of war, and soon we were at war with Japan.

The young couple discussed the events and decided to marry earlier, since it was almost a certainty that William would be drafted into the Armed Forces. They married on January 10. Later that spring, William was drafted into the Army Air Corps and served in Europe.

William returned from the service and in 1948, they had their first child. A few years later, they had a second.

They had been married 37 years when Rebecca died at age 56. William lived to be 83 and passed away in 2004.

William and Rebecca were my parents, and it is difficult on this day to recall these events without tears in my eyes.

I remember and honor his service on this day.
 
I went to Pearl Harbor back in the early 90's and watched the movie and went to see the Arizona... Very sad experience. There were several veteran's around answering questions from people. My heart goes out to all who suffered.
 
Back
Top Bottom