• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mixed up phono1 with aux1 after having disconnected everything

Something very fishy is going on. I soldered a small ring back to the wire that is ground on the back of the tone board. In order to do so I did put the device on her side. Now back horizontal again, all the inputs are dead silent except for the radio. I guess there must be a weak but very important line that sources all the inputs that is not reliable.
 
Are you sure that the wire that you soldered is not affecting it? Maybe take it off again and see if it works. The other possibilities are: 1) cold solder joint somewhere, 2) wire with insulation scraped shorting to chassis or board, 3) fuse.
 
Are you sure that the wire that you soldered is not affecting it? Maybe take it off again and see if it works. The other possibilities are: 1) cold solder joint somewhere, 2) wire with insulation scraped shorting to chassis or board, 3) fuse.

This is the small ring and location, took it out again, still no sound. It must have to do with putting the device on her side. I have checked the tape monitor buttons and they're not pushed in.

thumbnail_IMG_3889.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3888.jpg
 
Can you identify the card that is standing up on the tone board (P?) There maybe a suspicious cable connected to it.

***** I have found it****

Not the name yet though.

thumbnail_IMG_3858.jpg
 
Last edited:
It's PT 100 on page 26, what is JT04 doing?
That button (ST-01-4) controls turning On/Off FM Muting. JT04 sends 14.8V (from QT02) to JT04 when the button is depressed.
That voltage goes to JT211 (on the P200 board) to the base of transistor Q310. I'm exactly sure what it is doing, but it has to do with FM Muting.
FM Muting turns off (mutes) the FM audio when you are not tuned into an FM station or a weak FM station to keep from hearing the static noise.
It should only affect FM.

When you soldered the wire to the lug, did you remove any boards or wire to do this? Did you try audio on Aux 1, Aux 2, Tape 1 In, Tape 2 In?

If you are trying to operate the receiver with boards out of the chassis sometimes it will not work because the board may rely on a screw connecting the board ground to chassis ground.

What board (and screw) is that ground lug connected to?
 
Last edited:
What board (and screw) is that ground lug connected to?
To the tone board. Last night I took everything out again, inspected some wires that I had to resolder during the process, put everything back again and now even the radio is not playing anymore. When everything was working yesterday, there were no boards hanging out. My thoughts are that the sheer weight of the device has pressed something, or snapped an already poor connection, just by turning it on its side. I do have a multimeter but don't have experience with it, if not, I could maybe inspect the boards from underneath since they're still very accessible. Since the loudspeakers are really dead silent (not even a hum) I was also thinking about the volume potentiometer. It's kinda cruel to have tasted the victory yesterday, and now this.
 
As we speak, found a flipped connector next to the volume control! Must have been my exhaustion. Report soon back.
 
Take a photograph of all of the connectors (when it works again) so that you know how to replace them in the future.
 
All is working! I connected last night based on an erroneous picture! Of course, I will delete that one. Now what is left is the stereo indicator and I see this is kind of an issue with the Marantz (threads on this forum). For now rest me to say again A BIG THANK YOU for your support!

 
I measure 8,8 v on the stereo indicator wire and 03,9 amp. Still all 4 new bulbs wouldn't light until I connected the min to the frame. I guess that means the ground wire must be broken or something.
 
I can show you with the pictures, I believe it's on the outer side of the power supply board bordering the tone board. The voltage came from the lightbulb wire that leads to the same place. I think the ground needs to receive a signal to open when the tuner finds a stereo channel. I now grounded it somewhere else with the result that it is now always on. Not the way it should be but it's better than nothing. I read some info that if you didn't use the exact specs for the bulb, you blow something somewhere. It could be that some chip or transistor whatever has been blown for that matter in my device. If possible I would like to know it's location so I could check if that is the case.
thumbnail_IMG_3910.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3909.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3908.jpg
 
Just thinking tonight how I am still grateful for the help offered by dankik. Decided to leave the stereo light issue until the whole machine may need service one day. The risk is too high that something goes wrong if I take everything out again.
 
I can show you with the pictures, I believe it's on the outer side of the power supply board bordering the tone board. The voltage came from the lightbulb wire that leads to the same place. I think the ground needs to receive a signal to open when the tuner finds a stereo channel. I now grounded it somewhere else with the result that it is now always on. Not the way it should be but it's better than nothing. I read some info that if you didn't use the exact specs for the bulb, you blow something somewhere. It could be that some chip or transistor whatever has been blown for that matter in my device. If possible I would like to know it's location so I could check if that is the case.
View attachment 2766110 View attachment 2766111 View attachment 2766112
On the very left of the last picture it looks like there has been a red wire cut from the lug next to the white with brown stripe.
 
Back
Top Bottom