• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Modern equivalent to Vacuum Tube Valley magazine

Stefan Wood

Active Member
I have been thoroughly enjoying the back issues of Vacuum Tube Valley online and I was wondering if there is any equivalent of that magazine today, be it blogs or websites.
 
Register to hide this ad
I was one of VTV's writers. John Atwood did try to start something online with Claris Sonus but it never really went anywhere. Too much static, and internet bandwidth was largely taken up by people who had opinions but no real qualifications or the experience to back them up. Some kicking around of ideas (fantasies?) and ways to continue on by Eric B., me, and some others there never went anywhere. I feel honored to have participated in a small way and cherish the old copies that still serve as a great reference as well as an enjoyable and informative read. I spent many an hour on the phone with Charlie dissecting the world of vintage tube audio, how to keep interest in it alive, it's deep and great history, it's pioneers, and even some of his, at times, shall we say, rather eccentric notions. Great memories all... RIP CK
RA in NY
 
I attended the VTV seminar they held in Belmont, CA, unsure of the year, likely early 2000s. I did enjoy reading VTV. Got to know Charlie a bit, was sad to hear of his passing.

One of the people who likely helped the cause was Earl Yarro. He helped me when I returned to the world of tube audio after a couple of decades. I know he worked with Charlie repairing amps for people. I bought several things from his stash, and he called around to find me a 7T preamp.

We exchanged occasional emails until early last year. With some searching, it appears he has passed.
 
I knew Earl Yarrow (earlyarrow on eBay!) very well, he sold me some good stuff including a pair of Pilotrol preamps and helped me find Fairchild 248 preamps when I was looking for some. I sold him some stuff too but can't remember what it was now. He most enjoyed early audio like '50s speakers and tube mono, and at one time had a large stash of good stuff (nothing like Charlie though). We talked from time to time up until a year or so ago, and just the other day I came across the box he sent me once. He lived in a renovated former church and his job once included selling industrial staplers in the Western states so his boxes were always super heavy-duty and very well fastened! He was also into interesting cars as was I, and drove a black Mercury Marauder. So sorry to hear he has passed. His enthusiasm for his beloved Pscitticine birds and audio, of course, was infectious and he was one of the good guys in audio. Will miss our discussions. RIP Earl.
 
CCook, How did you find out? I tried unsuccessfully to find an obit for Earl, did you see one?
It appears he fairly recently moved from his long time address in Newman to Stockton.
I'm trying to find out if he had children, I believe he told me so, would like to send condolences.
thnx, RA in NY
 
Did a Google search some time ago, saw a post on (I believe) a musical instrument site. Guy had mentioned his name and some other information that made me think it was the same Earl. Did not find an obit, so could be mistaken. No idea if he had kids, did mention once a step son, but no other info.
 
I have some back issues of Glass Audio stashed away somewhere. Was Glass Audio related in some ways to VTV?
 
Glass Audio: Not really but Eric B. of VTV did do some articles, amp designs for GA, possibly SP as well iirc.
Are past GAs online somewhere? I'd like to check it out more, read a few of them back in the day. Good winter reading.

I hope Earl's OK, will try to give him a call as I still have his #. I do recall him mentioning a step-son, I know he was married some years ago.
 
Back
Top Bottom