• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Modern speaker upgrade, please help

Elegance can be found anywhere. Since I wasn't the one who pointed out their actual price, I will avoid commenting on the $129 vs $10k remark as it really isn't germane to the conversation. Also, I own a pair of these speakers, and they really do sound good! If they didn't, I wouldn't have mentioned them.

My apologizes to the OP. When I posted my suggestion, I was serious. However, I was also kind of expecting the response I got, and not being disappointed, I had to respond. Yet, in doing so, I'm afraid I have hijacked your thread, so please accept my apologies for having done so.

One last thing, here. I have no doubt that your speakers sound good and that you have found satisfaction in them. When I stated "You are kidding, right" it was in response to the fact that you appeared to not know what was being asked. One look at the OP's signature and at the original post would tell you that your response was not appropriate. I get excited about my gear as well and in fact MWalt included my speakers in his original post but I am adamant about not recommending components just because I have them and like them. I only recommend them If they appear to be an appropriate fit for what the the OP is trying to achieve. I'm sorry if I offended you as that was not my intent. Peace!
 
I am very limited as to what I can physically go listen to because of the distance from my home to high end audio stores. I do like to visit them from time to time and listen to 50k systems because it allows me a reference point. Listening to 8k B & W's was a treat.

The Epos you mentioned look great. Epos Elan 15 has an oversized 7 inch mid bass. $1399.00 in real Cherry veneer. Wish I could hear them.
 
And I guess I should apologize for unintentionally slighting mayidunk's speakers. I too tried to suggest something in line with what the OP was looking for and didn't see how the Cerwin Vegas fit. Sorry.

cubdog
 
Sorry, I missed the part with you budget.
Let's try it again shall we. I didn't look in that range recently, so I'm not too famillure with what's avaliable. On the lower teir I bought some Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-30 towers, I find their blotted bass great for video, which I bought them for, not so good for music. PSB and Paradigm might have some offering's in their higher end line however that might fit the bill as well as B & W and KEF. I was quite impressed with the KEF's. I think most of these brands have a decent standmount for under $2,000 a pair. Good luck.
 
Last edited:
I am very limited as to what I can physically go listen to because of the distance from my home to high end audio stores. I do like to visit them from time to time and listen to 50k systems because it allows me a reference point. Listening to 8k B & W's was a treat.

The Epos you mentioned look great. Epos Elan 15 has an oversized 7 inch mid bass. $1399.00 in real Cherry veneer. Wish I could hear them.

It's pretty good trek to audition for me as well. Either 70 miles north (Portland) or 45 miles south (Eugene) depending on what I want to audition, so I understand. I'd like to hear those Epos just because...
 
I believe Spendor, Reference 3A, Herbreth and PMC all have speakers that would fit the bill. Those were the ones I looked at along with the ATC previously mentioned before I settled on the Reference 3A Veena II's. I'm particulary fond of the Reference 3A MM Decappo stand mount's. I have their Veena II's that are an amazing speaker. while the Veena II's are only a bit more expensive they might over power a small room.

PMC is a name that I hadn't thought of (even though I was doing research on them last week...sucks losing ones mind) and they make a fabulous speaker. The only problem with PMC and Harbeth's above the P3ESR is that they go considerably above the OP's budget. The Harbeth C7 is almost 4k. You can buy them used but Alan Shaw does not appreciate it nor does he support it. Do some reading over at HUG (Harbeth Users Group).
 
No offense taken here from anyone, to include Mayidunk. Good conversation so far. I am seriously looking at:

-Epos Elan 15 $1399
-ProAc Studio 100 $1899
-Legacy Audio HD Monitor $1499

I listen primarily to Jazz, some different types of alternative, some rock, and classical. I will listen to almost anything as long as it is recorded well. I need a speaker that can do it all. My analog set up is better than my digital at the moment (the next upgrade will be a top notch DAC)

I don't listen real loud all the time, but every now and then I like some volume. I like high current amps (for headroom) and a tube line stage preamp. That said, I like a speaker that is consistent in impedance across the frequency spectrum. You guys are helping here, keep it up :thmbsp:
 
...One look at the OP's signature and at the original post would tell you that your response was not appropriate. I get excited about my gear as well and in fact MWalt included my speakers in his original post but I am adamant about not recommending components just because I have them and like them. I only recommend them If they appear to be an appropriate fit for what the the OP is trying to achieve. I'm sorry if I offended you as that was not my intent. Peace!
According to one of the stickys posted in this forum,
Welcome to the 21st Century! Anything on new audio gear is welcome here, no matter the price....
I'll accept your claim that you didn't intend to offend. However, you set yourself up as the judge of what is, and isn't appropriate. Unless you're the moderator, you might do well to leave that alone.

And I guess I should apologize for unintentionally slighting mayidunk's speakers. I too tried to suggest something in line with what the OP was looking for and didn't see how the Cerwin Vegas fit. Sorry.

cubdog
C'mon, cubdog, you know what you said was meant to be belittling of my more "pedestrian" offering! Hey, that's OK. I can take it. We all have our opinions. However, how we express those opinions can mean the difference between being heard by the many who respect us, or only being heard by the few who only agree with us.

Anyway, I've already said too much about this. Apologies accepted, gentlemen. Thank you!

Peace! :D
 
Last edited:
It's pretty good trek to audition for me as well. Either 70 miles north (Portland) or 45 miles south (Eugene) depending on what I want to audition, so I understand. I'd like to hear those Epos just because...

I know the area well. I used to date a girl from Cottage Grove. Myself, I have an hour and fifteen minutes either direction to Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Columbus is a 3 hour jaunt. I have been very lucky to this point buying gear based on reviews by others.
 
However, you set yourself up as the judge of what is, and isn't appropriate. Unless you're the moderator, you might do well to leave that alone.

Again you misunderstand. This time I'm not going to try and clarify. If this is how you understand it, then so be it. As someone once said "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you".
 
I know the area well. I used to date a girl from Cottage Grove. Myself, I have an hour and fifteen minutes either direction to Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Columbus is a 3 hour jaunt. I have been very lucky to this point buying gear based on reviews by others.

I bought a turntable from an AKer in Cottage Grove once. Did you live in the area?
 
I bought a turntable from an AKer in Cottage Grove once. Did you live in the area?

No, I lived in Seattle at the time and the girl I was dating would take me there (Cottage Grove) for this or that. We also used to hang out in Portland sometimes.
 
No, I lived in Seattle at the time and the girl I was dating would take me there (Cottage Grove) for this or that. We also used to hang out in Portland sometimes.

Ahh. My wife's daughter lives in West Seattle and used to live in Seattle. We go up quite often. I love both Seattle and Portland...pretty content here in the NW. Great music and audio scenes as well.
 
West Seattle is where I lived (close to Alki Beach). When I retired from military service, I moved here to Ohio because my wife hails from here (she made me). Living the dream in paradise.

I really miss the western United States
 
West Seattle is where I lived (close to Alki Beach). When I retired from military service, I moved here to Ohio because my wife hails from here (she made me). Living the dream in paradise.

I really miss the western United States

I'll bet you do! Keep working on her, perhaps you'll get back here.

I lived in the midwest for a few years, Illinois actually. I really enjoyed it, especially the people..
 
I like nearly every Totem I've heard except the smallest stand mounts, which were just OK. Not sure what the pricing is on them. The PSB Synchrony line doesn't get much talk around here but I think they're an excellent of no-frills all round speaker, at least every one in the line that I've heard (which is most of them). They're not a 'hey, look what these can do!' speaker- they just sort of sit back and create music that doesn't call attention to itself. I haven't liked any of the new Kefs, at all.

I grew up in Akron. I'd move back to Seattle. :)
 
I like nearly every Totem I've heard except the smallest stand mounts, which were just OK. Not sure what the pricing is on them. The PSB Synchrony line doesn't get much talk around here but I think they're an excellent of no-frills all round speaker, at least every one in the line that I've heard (which is most of them). They're not a 'hey, look what these can do!' speaker- they just sort of sit back and create music that doesn't call attention to itself. I haven't liked any of the new Kefs, at all.

I grew up in Akron. I'd move back to Seattle. :)

Ah, Akron. I lived in Tallmadge when I taught at Kent State. I currently live about an hour or so east of there. I am originally from Indianapolis.

I wish I could find an online vendor that sells the Totem line. I have also been eying the PSB Synchrony line that Audio Advisor sells. I am taking my time here, but the ProAc and the EPOS Elan 15 have got me VERY intrigued.
 
ProAc and EPOS are certainly worthy candidates (well, I can't remember hearing the EPOS but I've listened to Proac). I'd like to hear a smaller pair of PMCs myself. Its worth doing some in person auditioning of course.
 
Mark, I've spent time with the modern Monitor Audio line. It's been hard for me to fault any of their (upper model) lines. I'm not as enthusiastic regarding their lower models. But the nicer stuff is delish!

I also have heard quite the buzz about the new Rega RS-10s, bt don't know price or availability.

Alon/Nola, Monitor Audio, Totem, those B&Ws you've recently listened to, and maybe a few more sprinkled in, always seem to be well loved and hIghly considered.

I may have an opportunity to listen to a few more on Monday- a frIend owns a well respected high-end shop In th city, so I'll let you knOw his opinion.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom