• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Musical Fidelity & April Music

there's something about MF gear man. the signature is a bit of hassle as i change my gear every so often (i really shouldn't) but you can see my setup at my gear thread.



so do u use the CA CDP as a transport? what's ur take on the CA as a complete set against the CA + MF DAC combo?

Yep, I use the CA350 as a transport using the digital out into the M1DAC. The standalone 350 is not quite as transparent or "smooth" as the combination with the M1. The upsampling of the M1 seems to sound cleaner and and quieter. I'm also running balanced cables from the M1 to the amp. That's why I'm so interested in your experience with the Stello. I've been considering the MF CD transport but could always would like to consider other options.
 
interesting. what CDPs did u get that noise floor from?

listening to a Winter & Winter recording (Amsterdam String Trio)...this frankly surpasses some good vinyl playback even with my new digital rig!

Im talking about resolution at lower levels. Not so much as electronic grunge...but the ability of a CDP at lower levels to give excellent resolution of the sound. Some simply do it better than others. Have you ever heard a CDP that was totally off the grid? If you where to compare that to one that was in the same class but on the grid, the one off the grid would have better resolution of sound....due to no electronic grunge. But in the case of two CDP's on the grid, some simply do a better job of creating better resolution of sound at lower levels, especially with other back ground sounds in the room.

I discovered this idea a few years ago on another forum when Poultrygeist mentioned to me about an amplifies "first watt" ability. The ability of an amp at the first watt should be as good as the higher watts at producing great resolution of sound. I continued to find out about this "first watt" and resolution and discovered that not all gear including CDP's are good at the low level resolution especially with other sounds in the room. Ever listen at night? Seems the music has greater resolution at 3am than at 12pm. Same idea if you start comparing CDP's against one anther at 1pm at lower levels...some have greater resolution than others at lower levels. I thought my Rotel amp was great at the first watt and even mentioned to Poultrygeist back then I had great "first watt" resolution...until I continued to listen to other amps at the first watt produced sound. Thats one reason I am in the process of getting a new amp with Class A, first watt resolution. I often listen at low levels and want great resolution.

As I mentioned before....we had a shootout of my XRAY and the T+A E series CDP...the T+A is better at low level resolution than the XRAY. It is said the T+A has a more silent sound floor....it has a greater ability to give better resolution at lower levels with other noise in the room. Neither are Class A.....the T+A with the ability to give better resolution at the lower levels would be a better player at low level listening...and in my opinion is a better CDP.

I am not talking about measurable sounds or grunge that electronics have. Im just taking about the ability to have that great resolution at lower levels. That is why some listeners go for class A amps ability to give this low level resolution. Its also why a very good tube amp is said to have more measurable electronic grunge than a good transistor amp, but the tube is said to have better resolution. But in the end....its all up to the listener and what pleases him.
 
Last edited:
i hear ya byron. i've just connected my Squeezebox to the M1 and the difference is pretty interesting. fuller, more analog feel with that gutsy, big sound again. i feel snobbish saying this but i can't help saying that the sound has become more luxurious.
 
think this is what ur talking about....it's late at night and the volume is small. connected to the M1, the sound exhibits more resolution on low lvls...
 
David

“i've just connected my Squeezebox to the M1”

What are you connecting the Squeezebox to (Vortexbox, computer, HD drive)?

As I get more into digital audio I’m realizing how much the quality of redbook CDs varies.

I'm thinking about an M1 like you have been as I find many DACs have that digital edge..etc.

I like your style, very comfortable, very user friendly; very these LPs are meant to be spined, enjoyed and then spined some more ! I can see myself vicariously reading the liner notes.

Michael
 
think this is what ur talking about....it's late at night and the volume is small. connected to the M1, the sound exhibits more resolution on low lvls...

Good! Now can you get that same resolution in the day at low levels? Some players can do it...some cant cut through the noise without turning up the volume. Buddy of mine just got a Mark Levinson #512 ....You best believe his player has no problem doing this and doing this well. But that's a 15k CDP. Its harder to find a much cheaper player that can do it at low levels.
 
Still loving the Stello?

it is great when i'm using it....the thing is i've been spinning vinyl mostly and used squeezebox for background music when i need that...!

David

“i've just connected my Squeezebox to the M1”

What are you connecting the Squeezebox to (Vortexbox, computer, HD drive)?

just my laptop mate. i am interested in the VB idea...perhaps one day.

As I get more into digital audio I’m realizing how much the quality of redbook CDs varies.

I'm thinking about an M1 like you have been as I find many DACs have that digital edge..etc.

highly recommended esp if u like acoustic music.

I like your style, very comfortable, very user friendly; very these LPs are meant to be spined, enjoyed and then spined some more ! I can see myself vicariously reading the liner notes.

Michael

thanks michael...yes i cant deny im a bit of vinylhead at the end of the day!

Good! Now can you get that same resolution in the day at low levels? Some players can do it...some cant cut through the noise without turning up the volume. Buddy of mine just got a Mark Levinson #512 ....You best believe his player has no problem doing this and doing this well. But that's a 15k CDP. Its harder to find a much cheaper player that can do it at low levels.

when i listen on a v low volume it's usually when i listen to it as background music....when i listen on a more serious level i always try to keep the volume on par with what might be like the live venue music within my listening room.

fwiw, the low volume resolution has definitely improved with the M1.
 
when i listen on a v low volume it's usually when i listen to it as background music....when i listen on a more serious level i always try to keep the volume on par with what might be like the live venue music within my listening room.

fwiw, the low volume resolution has definitely improved with the M1.

Great sounds like a winner and a keeper!
 
Compare with M6DAC

Stereophile has been very favourable towards the M1. In its June issue, John Atkinson reviewed the upper model being M6DAC with a $3k tag. He compared it with the M1 and commented:

With level matched to within 0.1dB, the M6 was tonally identical to the M1. However it sounded more refined than the less expensive DAC ... The highs were cleaner, the soundstage deeper, the low subjectively more extended ...

And of the tonality, Atkinson said this of the M6:

Out of the box, my first impression of the M6DAC's character was its natural-sounding midrange

For me details aren't the foremost important aspect when it comes to digital. What I'm concerned most with is the tonality which pretty much determines how analogue the digital sounds. And I love the MF signature tonality. In that context, the M1 looks like a real bang for the buck indeed.

Hope this is useful for prospective buyers of current DACs.
 
i bought my stello cheap secondhand because the display was finicky. i thought i could live with it but i quite liked the machine. i contacted april music in korea and they agreed to fix it at no charge. the return shipping was pretty close to what i paid for the unit itself though. but now it came back like new now. having been used to the squeezebox + MF M1 combo for the last few wks, the stello + MF M1 combo sounds more transparent, refined, stable and airy.


vent: the same ems posting from aussie to korea was 1.5 times more expensive than its way back here, yet it took more than 1 wk to get it to korea while on its way back it only took 2-3 days. not happy aussie post.
 
i bought my stello cheap secondhand because the display was finicky. i thought i could live with it but i quite liked the machine. i contacted april music in korea and they agreed to fix it at no charge. the return shipping was pretty close to what i paid for the unit itself though. but now it came back like new now. having been used to the squeezebox + MF M1 combo for the last few wks, the stello + MF M1 combo sounds more transparent, refined, stable and airy.


vent: the same ems posting from aussie to korea was 1.5 times more expensive than its way back here, yet it took more than 1 wk to get it to korea while on its way back it only took 2-3 days. not happy aussie post.

OK, I really don't want to know how good a deal you got on the Stello if the shipping was more than the unit...no matter where you shipped it:D
 
OK, I really don't want to know how good a deal you got on the Stello if the shipping was more than the unit...no matter where you shipped it:D

Not interested in how good the deal was, per se. But are there any more where you got this one, David?
 
OK, I really don't want to know how good a deal you got on the Stello if the shipping was more than the unit...no matter where you shipped it:D

i guess i was pissed with the shipping costs ex aussie and exaggerated a bit. the price for the unit was about the double the total shipping costs. still a bargain.

Not interested in how good the deal was, per se. But are there any more where you got this one, David?

no this was a private sales. the seller had 2 units and wanted to get rid of the one with finicky display. good thing i could communicate with april music in korea freely.
 
Back
Top Bottom