• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

musical paradise gear

intoaudio

Active Member
Has anyone heard or own the mp 501 kt 120 tube amp from musical paradise yet. Just wondering what anyone thinks of it.
 
Register to hide this ad
I haven't but there is going to be a show on the 27th with Garry showing it off. If you want an invite let me know.. I think if you RSVP now you can still get the lower rate to get into the show.

Edit:

Just checked, the 'early bird' rate is over but you can still get in. If you are interested in going just send me a PM I'll give you the e-mail address.
 
No! I'm not a Musical Paradise owner, however; thanks to a close friend I have found
out that they have been using very convincing Chinese knock-off NOS Raytheon
tubes in some of there amps, which leads me to doubt if their product line is actually
manufactured in Canada, Possibly having their "own designed" products manufactured
abroad and shipped to canada to be detailed and packaged for distribution.
This is not an uncommon practice. It's done by many companies unbeknownst to us.
 
100% genuine components

I can see where this might then be an issue, but with a quick look at there

site I see they do not say they are made in Canada. China more than likely.
 
Hi Everyone,
Our products are designed in Canada and assembled in China. The reason I mentioned "100% genuine components" is because there are quite a few Chinese tube amp manufacturers use counterfeit Japanese electrolytic caps, Solen coupling caps and ALPS volume controls. I was actually a victim of buying this kind of tube amps and got very angry in the past. This is one of the main reasons that Musical Paradise was born.

Since the new MP-501 KT120 is a lot more expensive than the very popular MP-301 V1/MK2/MK3, there are currently about 5 local customers has it right now. Here is a short review from a local senior user. You probably need to have a google account to view this group's message.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=&hl=en#!topic/black-hat-desperaudios/RNxPk9OV0i0
 
Musical Paradise - High quality tube amplifiers and more

Quote: Our products are designed in Canada and assembled in China. The reason I mentioned "100% genuine components"


Dear gtube,

That's a tough break "counterfeit japanese electrolytic caps, Solen caps and Alps volume controls" Yikes!.
One needs to be mindful about their parts purchases. What can you tell us about the MP501 / KT120 tube
complement and your Canadian circuit design that makes your product line unique?.
 
Most of the KT120 amps are push pull designs to achieve very high power output, since most of the users like big watts ratings on the paper. Another thing I hate is negative feedback circuit. Most of the designs rely on negative feedback. Removing negative feedback loop on some designs can create big distortions. A deep negative feedback loop can lower THD dramatically. It looks very nice on the specs (like <0.01%), but in reality the more feedback we add, the sound becomes very unnatural (harder and colder). Negative feedback is like opium.

The MP-501 is a single ended parallel design with no negative feedback loop. The sound is very natural, dynamic and lifelike.
 
Not beat a dead horse, but regarding the Nos Raytheon tubes was that question
answered?
 
gtube i have to apologize. i didn't mean to start a bashing thread about musical paradise and the gear you provide.

I took a look back regarding the bashing comment and what I see is
there were some questions asked and answered by the company
involved, very quickly I might add.

So if any others had the same questions they have been answered.
In the world of marketing thats a good thing.
 
I see that the transformers in the MP-301 are listed as "Z21/M6 nickel"

Z21 is a Japanese equivalent of M6, which is a good quality steel lamination material.

Where does the nickel part come in?
 
Has anyone heard or own the mp 501 kt 120 tube amp from musical paradise yet. Just wondering what anyone thinks of it.

I actually had a chance to hear it recently, just in case anyone is wondering what it sounds like.

Think the MP301 multiplied by 4. Much beefier bass, much more dynamics, bigger soundstage, and overall just really opens up the sound even more. It's a much more 'mature' sounding amplifier in comparison to the MP301 and has a lot of balls. The MP301 is an excellent amplifier, but the MP501 goes two or three steps above it. It's the first time I've seen a product where you are spending 4x the amount and actually getting 4x the upgrade.

Well worth it. I am going to hopefully be buying one in the next few months here. :)
 
Hi Joe,
It is Z11. Not Z21. As you mentioned, they are very high quality silicon steel material. Thanks for your correction. It is silicon not nickel. A typo. I am going to correct it now.

Garry

I see that the transformers in the MP-301 are listed as "Z21/M6 nickel"

Z21 is a Japanese equivalent of M6, which is a good quality steel lamination material.

Where does the nickel part come in?
 
I don't know those Asian lamination specs. We seldom see them over here. Sizes and material names are different. Had to look up Z11.

Yeah, nothing wrong with good M6-grade steel. it's just not nickel.
 
Back
Top Bottom