• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Musical Paradise MP-701 MK3 Tube Preamp (upgrade the caps or not!!??)

Bigmoonface

Active Member
I'm looking to purchase the MP 701 Mk3 preamp sometime this month.


MP-701-MK2_01-1024x683.jpg


Upgrade options on the pre-amp are ODAM reference caps made in the US for an extra $200. Standard caps are hovland caps made in Germany.

vcapodam22-1024x683.jpg

OHVLCAPs-1024x683.jpg

Is it worth upgrading those caps or should I just stick with the standard ones??
 
Register to hide this ad
I just received mine yesterday, it's built like a tank.
I went with a Duelund 0.47uf 630Vdc for the bypass cap, 2 Mundorf Supremes 3.9Uf 1000Vdc for coupling caps.
A Mullard GZ35/5AR4 in the rectifier, and 3 Mullard E188CC tube.
The stock stuff sounded ok, but this set up has a big improvement.
Now just need a 100 hours of music time for everything to settle in.
 
Mine came last week. The coupling caps in it are 8.2 uF 400VDC, not 2.2 uF. I asked Gary about this and he said 8.2 uF is stock in the MK3 preamps.

Here is exactly what he said "Some customers may use lower input impedance amps, so the more expensive 8.2uf is better. Mk3 comes with 8.2UF now, but 1uf-10uf can work as well.".

The tubes that come in it are all marked CCCP, Russian tubes and certainly didn't look like anything special. Looked them up and all four can be bought for about $25 total. I rolled in a vintage Amperex 5AR4 and three ECC88s. That seemed to make a noticeable improvement in fidelity.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys! I think I'll go with the standard caps and maybe look to upgrade in the future!

Darn its out of stock now!! :(
 
I spoke to Don Sachs at length about the output coupling caps he uses on his preamp. Through listening tests his taste in them evolved over the years with the ODAMS being the ones he used at the end of his LS production. Previously was Deuland and I forget what was before that. He used the ODAMs on my output that drives my amp and cheapo Daytons on the output that drives my subwoofer. The ODAMS are noticeably better when switching amps to outputs. If Chris VenHaus says they are made in the USA, I certainly believe him. He's been an upstanding guy in my interactions with him over the years.
 
Rolled the tubes a few days ago to GE 5ar4 and JJ 6922, made a good improvement, but today I changed the caps to some Mundrof silver gold oil, and it's like a different preamp. Everything opened up, clear airy highs, wider stage, tight bass.
With just a couple hours on them, can't wait to hear what comes next.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1551.jpeg
    IMG_1551.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 96
Upgrade options on the pre-amp are ODAM reference caps made in the US for an extra $200. Standard caps are hovland caps made in Germany.
....Is it worth upgrading those caps or should I just stick with the standard ones??

What's the rest of the system consist of?
 
Rolled the tubes a few days ago to GE 5ar4 and JJ 6922, made a good improvement, but today I changed the caps to some Mundrof silver gold oil, and it's like a different preamp. Everything opened up, clear airy highs, wider stage, tight bass.
With just a couple hours on them, can't wait to hear what comes next.
u know, im not sure if i could hear differences among caps elsewhere, but i sure can in my musical paradise DAC.
 
Mine arrived yesterday! Didn’t even bother with the stock tubes. Went right to 274b Sophia blue glass and nos Tung Sol 6sn7’s with adapters. Fantastic right out the box. I have tons of 6sn7 and some really exceptional old 5v rectifiers (5v4g, 5R4gy, 5AR4, 5Y3gb, 5u4g). Can’t wait to try them all
 
So still waiting for the MP 701 MK3 to arrive! But pre-empting its arrival I have managed to pick up 3 Amperex ECC88 PQ's really cheap and a TAD GZ34-STR RED BASE PREMIUM tube. Will pick up a Mullard GZ34 when finances allow! I believe the TAD is a clone of the Mullard so might be ok??
 
So the MP 701 Mk3 is due to arrive tomorrow! But not before HMRC added on just under 18% in import duties!!! What do you guys in the US pay on Chinese imports??

Anyway so the total for the MP 701 (inc import duties) was just under 780 quid! But to be fair if the MP 701 was made in the UK it would be £1500+ so still a pretty good bargain IMHO ;)
 
So the MP 701 Mk3 is due to arrive tomorrow! But not before HMRC added on just under 18% in import duties!!! What do you guys in the US pay on Chinese imports??

Anyway so the total for the MP 701 (inc import duties) was just under 780 quid! But to be fair if the MP 701 was made in the UK it would be £1500+ so still a pretty good bargain IMHO ;)
I paid US$806 for mine back in April. Never saw a detailed receipt, just the total amount. The list price for the 701 MKIII was $740 and shipping/fees was $66, have no idea how much of hte $66 was import fees.
 
Back
Top Bottom