• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MX110Z &MC240... stacked?

longgone

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Do you think it is ok to place an MC240 on a MX110Z?
The MX110Z is in an original slant leg McIntosh cabinet.
 
Register to hide this ad
^^^True as I hadn’t thought about the weight, but the heat too. The mx110 does give off some heat and needs some room to dissipate. So keep that in mind as well.
 
The MX110 would not be getting the ventilation it needs and to make matters worse, the heat of the MX110 will be radiating into the MC240. Hum may be induced as well.

I would strongly recommend against it.
 
Ok, I tend to agree with you guys.
I'll come up with a better solution.
It was a consideration, based on the real estate availability, mainly.
For the sake of discussion...
the 110 has a fair amount of air space inside the slant leg cabinet and the slant leg cabinet is stable, strong, and solid. The 240 has it's legs to add more space between it and the 110 cabinet.
The location for 'the stack', is on top of a strong vintage wood cabinet. There is no obstruction to air flow. There is not enough surface space to place the 110 and 240 side by side.
 
Re: a possibility of 'hum'...
is there a possibility of hum if the 110 (in a slant leg cabinet), is parked beside a 240? I mean, like right beside each other? A few inches apart.
And would a rack eliminate the possibility for hum?
 
Re: a possibility of 'hum'...
is there a possibility of hum if the 110 (in a slant leg cabinet), is parked beside a 240? I mean, like right beside each other? A few inches apart.
And would a rack eliminate the possibility for hum?

The chance of hum/RF interference is always increased whenever electronics are placed in close proximity. Probably much less likely with modern equipment but little thought was given to RFI shielding in older gear - especially in tube equipment where higher operating voltages are present.

I also believe the manual recommends a minimum clearance of something like 10" above the MX110 for sufficient air flow.

Your decision but this is not an arrangement I would ever endorse for the MX110 which generates significant heat due to its ~ 17 tube compliment.
 
Gotcha. Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. I do have better options for assembling the 110/240, than stacking them. You have helped with the direction to proceed.
 
Back
Top Bottom