• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My big Sony's

telemike

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
STR-GX10ES and STR-GX80ES

9Lu0IoY.jpg


E8oidLz.jpg


In
GMCzpNM.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
80ES has toroidal transformer and larger caps. 15,000 vs 12,000. 80ES has the newer Linear A circuit and runs hotter.

I like the 10ES a tad more.
 
That GX80ES looks so similar to my GX700ES. Mine's just missing the wood panels.Do the volume knobs also have a lit indicator, and are motorized?
 
I wonder how many 80ES's came with wood sides? Most I see for sale don't have them

As you may already know...The woodside panels typically were reserved for the TOTL in their lineup, at least in the US. So the STR-GX90ES, for example, came with the panels. The one's in your 80ES may have been taken from a 90ES.
 
As you may already know...The woodside panels typically were reserved for the TOTL in their lineup, at least in the US. So the STR-GX90ES, for example, came with the panels. The one's in your 80ES may have been taken from a 90ES.

Wood panels are usually found on STR-GX9ES which is second banana to the STR-GX10ES. Not sure if the panels were standard.
 
Wood panels are usually found on STR-GX9ES which is second banana to the STR-GX10ES. Not sure if the panels were standard.
Good point. I was going by my impression more than fact. One thing I'm fairly certain of is that wood sides didn't come with the BOTL ES stuff.
 
Listening to the 80ES now. Very nice sound. It gets much hotter than the 10ES. It's psuedo class A circuit must be changing bias on transistors. It's a tad rounder and laid back too. The 10ES is more forward and engaging. Punchier?.

Probably going to keep 80ES as backup if the 10ES goes down, though I have replaced the main filter caps.
 
That things got more connections than the Radio Room Antenna/Radio Patch panel on most U.S. Submarines!!! I'm getting a migraine looking at that panel.
 
That things got more connections than the Radio Room Antenna/Radio Patch panel on most U.S. Submarines!!! I'm getting a migraine looking at that panel.

I never understood the AVR designers putting all those Composite and S-Video connections on the AVR, hardly anybody used them. S-Video was rarely used. Component, DVI and HDMI are most used in the past 10 years
 
I never understood the AVR designers putting all those Composite and S-Video connections on the AVR, hardly anybody used them. S-Video was rarely used. Component, DVI and HDMI are most used in the past 10 years

There was a short time when S-video was the most common TV output on laptops and PCs. I'm thinking late 90s maybe?
 
Back
Top Bottom