• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My MCD201 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think the 11S2 might be the way to go. I got my MCD201 at Magnolia Hi-Fi and they carry Marantz but they say the Reference series is something different and they are not sure they can get it. After all I've been through with them I hope they at least try. The only downside is no headphone amp on the 11S2. I bought the Sennheiser HD-650 specifically for use with the MCD201. Oh well, I'll settle for reliabilty over a built in headphone amp.
 
While my second MCD201 seems to be fine (I use Stax 'ear-speakers', so no headphone jack use) for the moment............if it stops working correctly I'll go for one of these: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/hf/cds2000.html, available in either black or silver. Best part is that Frank Gow tells me that Audio Classics will carry them.


That looks quite interesting.... wonder how it will sound.

Last weekend I finally auditioned the MCD201. I left the showroom shaking my head. The retail here in Denmark is 36.000 Kr. that with todays rate of exchange is 7.140 dollars.

yup

Say it again with me 7.140 dollars.

the MCD201 sounds wonderful but the feel I got from operating the unit was very very dissapointing. The transport is one of the cheapest and noisiest pieces of crap I have ever seen.
There is simply no excuse for choosing that mechanism. You don't have to go uber exotic with a Teac or Sony transport when you have great sister companies in the DM Holding corporation.
Denon's or Marantz's cheapest CD players have a more solid feel to them.
The MCD201 tray was extremely flimsy.

When I buy Mcintosh I do it not only for the sound but for the whole experience. I want to feel pride of ownership and know that my gear is going to last.
The MCD201 looked like it would barely last the trip from the dealer to my stereo rack.

Mcintosh please hurry with a new MCD redesign. No more firmware updates or crappy transports. please...
 
My lastest exchanged MCD201 (my third) has a quiet transport, no popping in at the beginning and end of tracks from the RCA outs but using the headphone amplifier I hear the pops. Very annoying. Anyone else hear this? It's been like this my previous units as well. I don't have enough hours in to see if it locks up or skips like my previous two but I don't know if I will keep it long enough to find out. McIntosh customer service has been great but I am getting tired of reboxing the unit and trips back to the dealer.

Mine does make sounds between tracks as well, although I would not describe them as popping. It sounds rather like I am pressing a key on my telephone - a quick "BIP!" Not a huge problem but just unnecessary.

About the transport mechanisms: My dealer said that it just does not pay any more to build good drives. For example, even the good-looking ones (those machined from aluminum) rely on the same laser units as the other ones. I think the MCD 201 drive is a tuned PC drive. And I have seen the "tooth bar" that caused some of the problems with my second drive (I am still waiting for the third one ... ). It looks to me like a black piece of plastic worth a cent. Somehow disappointing if one thinks of the price of the unit.
 
I'll take one of these. Available in either silver or black. A nice solid 33 pounds and strictly 2-channel. Yamaha is the oldest audio company around. Started in 1887.
 

Attachments

  • Yamaha%20CD-S2000_front.jpg
    Yamaha%20CD-S2000_front.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 54
  • view_rear.jpg
    view_rear.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 26
  • Yamaha_CDS2000_gi1.jpg
    Yamaha_CDS2000_gi1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 30
I had been saving for a MCD201. But after following and seeing all this nonsense with this player (over the last year) and McIntosh's attitude towards not only the neverending defects of this player, but also their arrogant dismisal of respect for their customers; I decided to not buy the MCD201 and look at other manufactors SACD/CD players.

I like my c220 and I have been considering buying a c2200 or c46 pre amp, as well as two mc252 amps (to be run in as monoblocks) and a mc402 amp; for two of my systems.

Unfortunately this attitude and approach by McIntosh of complete disrespect to their customers and a complete disregard (based on greed) for ethical responsibility to high quality standards and control of the MCD201; is the type of thing that could fester in my mind and snowball. I'm seriously considering ditching my c220 and my purchases of those amps.

I'm sure McIntosh couldn't care less if they lose the sale of another pre amp and three amps. Small change to them, I suppose. But I don't like to support companies/corporations who behave this way. There's plenty of pre amp and amp manufactors out there. I don't have to spend my money on McIntosh's gear.
 
Hmm.......this is likely not a trivial problem to McIntosh, for both technical and public relations reasons. While I can't disagree with the sentiments of those who have been and continue to be dissatisfied with their MCD201, I think you guys are going off the deep end with this talk and threats of lawsuits, etc. From what I'm reading, Mc has done a good job of addressing the issues and continues to do so. Perhaps talk like this is the reason that ron-c is no longer posting in this thread and McIntosh has dropped off a a supporter of AK. Just a thought.
 
From what I'm reading, Mc has done a good job of addressing the issues and continues to do so.


It seemed that way several months ago. So why are people still getting defective players?

Are these people buying used early production MCD201 players, that still have the defects; off of audiogon and places like that?

Is it possible some are buying their MCD201 from dealers who have these early run players still lying around in stock?

If so, why haven't McIntosh and the dealers established some kind of repair/upgrade procedure for the dealers; so they can get them repaired/upgraded before the players end up in the hands of the end user/customer?

At the very least, why aren't the dealers instructing the customers that the MCD201 they just purchased will require a trip back to be repaired/upgraded, before the customer takes it home?

Is it possible that some of these people are embelishing or being less than honest, in their representation of their experience with the MCD201 and McIntosh?

I'd really just like to get to the bottom of this and get an idea of what I would be spending my hard-earned money on.
 
Yes, ron-c´s postings have always been reasonable and we should be fair.
But a buyer must have the right to call a lemon a lemon.

I have spent so much time trying to make this unit work (carry it to the dealer, hash things out with him, pick up the unit again, put it back into the system, test it, test my CDs with other players, take it out again, carry it back etc. etc.). If I calculate the value of my time, this unit is at least twice as expensive as it was at the shop. Exchanging drive after drive is, of course, one way to address the issue. But does this really make up for the hassle and make me forget it? And the player (manufactured in April 2007 and now equipped with the latest drive and firmware) still does not work, which means that I still do not have fun with it and will never have because it is just not reliable. Just as every happy customer is a multiplier, so is every unhappy one!

Why did I not buy brand X from Japan or, one day, China .... ? I was willing to pay a premium for the symbol of good old-fashioned quality and reliability, McIntosh.
The brand has been built up over decades. A continuing quality problem will do damage to the brand. Then the premium will not be paid any more. This embarrassment should be taken more seriously because it harms the value of the company.
 
Well, seems like a deep root of frustration has been tapped once again by the now infamous 201. Truly, I think many of us long-time Mac fans are just saddened more than anything. With all due respect to his memory, the expression, "What would Gordon do?" is more than a cliche in this ongoing 201 saga.

We all KNOW what he would have done, yes? Stop production until the issues are truly fixed and then bend over backwards to restore the damaged faith in Mac engineering/QC inflicted by 2+ years of turning out a $3,500 CD player that works fine for some but not for others.

Having ditched keeping a 201 after two frustrating and unsuccessful attempts to get a new one that works, I have found the 205 to be a wonderful alternative. But that still doesn't stop me from feeling sad that Mac -- who clearly knows they have a lemon yet has made the corporate decision to not handle the situation in the same way that Mr. Gow would have insisted it be addressed. The company just seems incapable of swallowing a bit of pride, taking perhaps a bit of a loss, but ultimately sending a clear signal to its loyal fan base that it still represents integrity.

In a world in which "accountability" has lost its meaning, I always wanted to believe that it was alive and well in Binghamton. But we know they understand how upset on principle their stonewalling is to many of us, and frankly, we've got to come to grips with the fact they just don't care.

"It's a best seller." :no:
 
I know a lot of people are frustrated with some of the issue. I know I will too if this happen to me. I have a Denon 5910 which doesn't read half of the SACD I own. The 5910 at the time was their top of the line unit. There is nothing Denon will do for me other than telling me that may be the disc came out after the player did... so sorry, buy the new model to fix my problem. At least McIntosh is trying to do all they can to get the 201 fix. I think they should be given credit for trying.

BTW, my 201 read all the SACD I own without any problem.


LN
 
The tone of this thread has turned ugly, what so and so thinks about Mcintosh is well, not worth the effort of repeating it, same for what a few dealers think! I had a defective 201 dealer replaced it for a new one so far so good it plays perfectly. Now if i would have gotten a few bad players and mac told me to stuff it then maybe a lawyer might be called for but I do not see where the problem units owners have asked for refunds or money back they are still in the process of getting them fixed!

Mcintosh is a for profit business, they have been honoring the warrenty on the 201.

How many owners of defective 201 players out there have been told Screw you we can't or will not fix or replace your defective unit by Mcintosh directly not your dealer but Mcintosh I would like to know!

It is a problem unit for Mcintosh also, think about it 25000 views of this thread add up to a big black eye for the company but they are acting responsibly.

Dont want problems dont buy one! way to many axes to grind in this thread!

Robert
 
Stop production and perfect the unit. Revamp it and stabilize it. Rename it the 201.1 and put this mess behind. Why they are still having problems with this unit is hard to understand. Good lord, did they do any test time on this model? The minute I turned mine on I was stunned by the noise level of drive unit. Any dumbass could have heard the unacceptable noise level of the thing not to mention the reading issues.

This matter should have been resolved by early 2007. Personally, I'm sick of seeing this thread still popping up every other week in this forum. But I can't blame the members because 3,500 bucks should insure a properly working high end CD/SACD player. And the shame of it is, the player sounds incredibley good as long as the music is louder than the drive unit noise and as long as it's reading the disc properly.

Yes Mac may be backing up the warranty but it is a frustrating ordeal to endure with no guarantee of complete success.
 
"Since you have no idea as to what owners have or have not done,"

Many have returned to dealer and given up, Many have put up with a few tries at new units and given up, Many have working units. How many have been screwed?

Robert
 
Listen, despite my last post I truely am not interested in bashing McIntosh. But this is a terrible situation and I hate to see this going on with McIntosh.

I just over this past year, have stepped into the McIntosh camp with my first piece, the c220. I remember hearing their gear back in the late 70s, when I was still just a teenager and I loved their sound. So over the past year I've done some heavy auditioning of their current gear and I love a lot of their models.

I have a big interest in the MCD 201, but this nonsense is definitely causing me to pause and re-think purchasing it.

What I find odd is how anyone could defend this. I mean, we're talking about a McIntosh $3,500 disc player, here.

Not a $29.99 Wal-Mart special rebadged with some brand name like...."Coby" or "Durabrand ......or "Magnavox".

I don't know, maybe my standards and expectations are higher than other people. But I think when I spend $3,500 friggin' dollars on a McIntosh disc player, I will expect the thing to work flawlessly for at least 7-10 years. I expect near perfection in terms of quality control, design and customer service. I expect the manufactor to hold itself responsible and show some integrity regarding any problems with a component; by finding a definitive solution to the problems.

Yes, it's good to hear that McIntosh (and it's dealers) are working with customers to replace/exchange or repair the defective units. But is that really such an outstanding act of resposibility? Oh, they're honoring the warranty. Geeee....thanks for that huge favor. :rolleyes:

I mean, while they are doing that, they are not getting to the real root of the problem and correcting it at it's source. They're basically trouble-shooting, applying band-aids and today, it's still a crapshoot if one gets a quiet, working, reliable player. You call that high quality?

I went through a very similar problem with the Denon DVD-2800 back in 2000-2001. What a trainwreck of a component. And with a pre amp, two years ago.

It is a huge inconvienace to routinely hook up, find it defective, then disconnect the unit, box the unit and return it to the dealer; several times. It is time consuming, frustrating and generally a big pain in the butt. And at $3,500 I expect reliability, high quality and assurance!!

Again, my standards must be unrealistically too high.

I guess I just don't understand how some consumers can be so tolerant of such nonsense. We all know every manufactor will have a small isolated problem, every now and then. But units being defective, noisy and generally unreliable.......at such a common degree?

How can we as comsumers let a company such as McIntosh off the hook, when they advertise and pontificate about their "high-quality and reliability"? Thier whole brand name and reputation is based on high qulaity, reliability and customer satisfaction! That's what we pay for!

And let me tell you something, customer satisfaction does not lie in defective units that even after multiple exchanges/returns/repairs still suffer from the same defects.

Otherwise, may as well go to Wal-mart and buy one of those ...."Coby" ........"Durabrand ......or "Magnavox" pieces of garbage!
 
"I don't know, maybe my standards and expectations are higher than other people. But I think when I spend $3,500 friggin' dollars on a McIntosh disc player, I will expect the thing to work flawlessly for at least 7-10 years. I expect near perfection in terms of quality control, design and customer service. I expect the manufactor to hold itself responsible and show some integrity regarding any problems with a component; by finding a definitive solution to the problems."

I agree totally. But you are assuming that once you get a functional unit that it will break! all I can say is if my nearly 1 yr old unit breaks under warrenty I will be on Mcintosh to fix it properly or replace with a functional unit.

As far as I can see they have been doing that, and working with the customer!

But all I have been reading about is lawyers! why would you get lawyers involved when the company is honoring their obligations!

This thread just seems to have become a bash the hell out of Mcintosh thread, Believe me they view this as very serious problem they have spent the last half century building there reputation.

Keep in mind they Mac are the only people to know the true extent of the problem maybe it is 1 out of ten or as "we" seem to think 5 or more out of ten. All I can say is if it were 5 or more this product would have been long gone!

I would not be surprised if Mcintosh killed the product just to stop the negative publicity, Then all the people who wanted a stand alone cd player will have no choice other than a dvd combo player.

Robert
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom