• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My MCD201 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
McIntosh MCD 201 – Three Drives in Four Months

I have bought a new McIntosh MCD 201 in July 2007 because I was very impressed with its sound. I was not aware of the drive problems with this design.

The new unit (XD series, manufactured in April 2007) would sometimes play the same CD with no problem and sometimes skip the same tracks for some seconds. When I had it serviced, they immediately exchanged the drive for a new Raytech RL-S881 (manufactured January 2007) with the latest firmware (Version 015, May 30, 2006, MB 05060911A).

The new drive did not find the SACD layer on my hybrid SACDs. It had also the same habit of skipping tracks for some seconds. I had it serviced again. They left the drive in place but exchanged the “tooth bar” (I think this is how they call it). After that, the SACD layer was again there, but the player still skipped. It was not as bad as before but it did this with four CDs out of about 15 I played. The CDs are mostly new and they play without problems in my other CD player.

My dealer wants to exchange the drive again. I will give it a try.

It is hard to believe that this problem with this design is still not solved. Obviously it has been there for several years now.

I have learnt that McIntosh is working on an upgrade for the firmware but they do not know when it will be ready.

Is there something else that somebody can recommend to cure this (except for exchanging the unit which will not be possible)?
 
My new (in Aug) MCD201 will not read disc 3 of Miles' 'Friday & Saturday Night at the Blackhawk'. Now I have to pull out the 'back-up' Philips DV963SA to see how it does. Otherwise, has been behaving well.
 
I have bought a new McIntosh MCD 201 in July 2007 because I was very impressed with its sound. I was not aware of the drive problems with this design.

The new unit (XD series, manufactured in April 2007) would sometimes play the same CD with no problem and sometimes skip the same tracks for some seconds. When I had it serviced, they immediately exchanged the drive for a new Raytech RL-S881 (manufactured January 2007) with the latest firmware (Version 015, May 30, 2006, MB 05060911A).

The new drive did not find the SACD layer on my hybrid SACDs. It had also the same habit of skipping tracks for some seconds. I had it serviced again. They left the drive in place but exchanged the “tooth bar” (I think this is how they call it). After that, the SACD layer was again there, but the player still skipped. It was not as bad as before but it did this with four CDs out of about 15 I played. The CDs are mostly new and they play without problems in my other CD player.

My dealer wants to exchange the drive again. I will give it a try.

It is hard to believe that this problem with this design is still not solved. Obviously it has been there for several years now.

I have learnt that McIntosh is working on an upgrade for the firmware but they do not know when it will be ready.

Is there something else that somebody can recommend to cure this (except for exchanging the unit which will not be possible)?


I feel sorry for you in not seeing this thread before your purchase. If one understands the niggles and is willing to take a risk to get a good one then that is fine, otherwise it is unfortunate to say the least. Since you would appear to have a lemon, are you sure you can't get your money back or at least exchange it for something else. The 201 is not worth wasting any time over imo. :thumbsdn:

Perhaps those of us who actually like Mcintosh as a company should spread the word more on the 201 to force them to actually manufacture a decent product.:scratch2:

howie
 
... will not play disk 3

"My new (in Aug) MCD201 will not read disc 3 of Miles' 'Friday & Saturday Night at the Blackhawk'. Now I have to pull out the 'back-up' Philips DV963SA to see how it does. Otherwise, has been behaving well."

Try burning a copy on your computer. That worked on my first 201 -- before I exchanged for one that works.
 
A question and a thought.

For strickly two channel CD playback (all many of us want), why does the 871 (which spins discs 4X like the 201) seem to be issue-free? In other words, it's not as though Mac can't build a reliable CD transport.

My thought is this. Mac should grandly release an MCD202 that actually works. Simultaneously, they should quietly send letters to all 201 owners (or post here and elsewhere) offering a "trade up" program similar to what they recently offered on the amps. I suspect that the vast majority of 201 owners would be more than happy to be rid of their units -- even if they currently work okay. We buy our Mac gear to last decades. Once warranties expire on 201s, do owners really feel like these maddeningly troublesome lemons will give them 20+ years of worry-free service?

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Mac clearly cannot manufacture 201s that live up to the high standards set by Frank McIntosh. For goodness sake: by next year the 201s will be up to 20 firmware updates and counting! Please, Mac, do the right thing, save face, and offer 201 owners at least the option of unloading the things. This never-ending fiasco very sadly hammers home to this Mac enthusiast two truths. Not all Mac products are worth the money, and the company simply does not understand the fundamentals of basic PR damage control.

Sorry to rant, friends. But I respect the company and what Mac stands for so much (integrity, honesty, tradition) that every time I read about more 201 poor souls I want to shake Mac by the lapels and scream, "What would Gordon do?!"
 
"What would Gordon do?!"

lemon.jpg



:yes:
 
I like the idea of a trade-in programme! I have been dreaming of a decent stereo since I was a teenager and now that I have decided to go for one, I have to find out that a company as reputed as McIntosh hammers out a design that seems to be impossible to fix. And for serious money! This MCD 201 is certainly not cheap even if it works -mine doesn´t, not really.

Come on, Mc! Christmas for your customers!
 
I don't know Ron. Sure he's a great guy. But it seems this forum turns to him whenever the real straight dope is needed. To date, his posts on the 201 woes have clearly, IMHO, been meant to minimize the ongoing issues of the unit. Can you imagine if 10% or more of brand new 501s had a left channel that dropped in and out? Not all the time, but just once in a while? Would that be acceptable to Mac?

From what I've read here, some Mac dealers have been good about refunding money for 201 lemons. Others, however, have replaced one or two and then told the customer "sorry."

Again, it all gets back to integrity, yes? :scratch2:
 
They should simply let all 201 owners trade up to the 871 if they wish to - wothout a hastle - and without the need to negotiate all of this through the sometimes VERY poor dealers.
 
I am not trading in my 201. I guess I have one of the few that works, no noise and who knows about what the 202 will bring.

LN
 
Keeping mine too.
I feel quite lucky in the fact that my MCD201 has been absolutely flawless.
Bought mine from Audio Classics as a "used" model with all latest transport and firmware.
 
Keeping mine too. It just rocks sonically, and performs flawlessly.
The slow TOC read even before playing CDs drives me crazy though. I would think there should be some way to eliminate this from the CD portion of the system. I don't care about SACD - 99.9% of my discs are playable as conventional CDs. I don't think the SACDs I've heard make my musical listening experience any better.
Here's an interesting article on SACD vs. CD and DVD Audio: http://sound.westhost.com/cd-sacd-dvda.htm
It gives some food for thought. :scratch2:
 
Keeping mine too. I feel quite lucky in the fact that my MCD201 has been absolutely flawless. Bought mine from Audio Classics as a "used" model with all latest transport and firmware.
That's how I started out. But, it didn't work from about the third disc. Supposedly a fully refreshed unit with no issues. Audio Classics (Frank Gow) replaced it with a new production one that makes a bit of noise if there is no music and I'm standing next to it. I still have to test that disc it won't read on my other CDP. Something to do this evening.
 
My congratulations to all those that have a working MCD 201.

But the number of postings with regard to not-so-well-working MCD 201s shows that there is a problem with this design. And a serious one.

You sit in front of your stereo on "a hard day´s night" and wait for one of those moments of silence where there is supposed to be music. AND THERE IT IS! And then the music comes back. Or maybe not.

This sucks!

(Any recommendations?)
 
I recently purchased an MCD201 from a local big box store in Santa Rosa, CA. Right away I noticed transport noise issues. Then when leaving it run on auto repeat the unit locked up twice in the first 10 hours and also locked up during normal play when not on auto-repeat. Then, a few days later the unit was skipping on one track like a scratched record. I emailed McIntosh to find out if a firmware upgrade would fix the problem. I gave all the information off the machine and the rep said that it would be best if they sent me a new unit. I was very pleased to hear this and experience McIntosh's first class customer service. The new unit allegedly arrived at this big box store and I brought it home. The transport was quiet but another issue surfaced. At the end of each track and the beginning of the next there was a very audible pop sound again like a scratched record. This happened on every track and every CD I played. I again emailed McIntosh only to discover this unnamed store gave me the wrong unit. It apparently got lost in their system so they just gave me another off the shelf. The kindly rep at McIntosh has offered to send yet another unit in hopes of this one successfully arriving at it's intended location. So far I am frustrated with this experience but and extremely pleased with the support and customer service at McIntosh. They seem truly concerned I get a good working unit. I love the sound and features and am hoping the next exchange will be the one that stays. To be honest, if it wasn't for their concern and customer service I would have immediatly gone for another unit. Sorry to be so wordy but I wanted to relay my experience with my MCD201.
 
Thanks for this post, and I of course hope the next one is the charm. Mac does still stand behind their products. That said, with the 201s, sadly, it's still a crap shoot it seems. Some are fine, others lemons. I gather they know this all too well at Mac, hence their willingness to keep sending you units until you get lucky.

I still wish that Mac would offer a "come clean" letter to customers about the 201 and be done with it. We're not idiots. Everyone knows (12 firmware updates and counting) there's a glitch in its get-up!

I won't hold my breath.

Seriously, I really hope the saga turns out well for you. For others of us it did not. :no:
 
My lastest exchanged MCD201 (my third) has a quiet transport, no popping in at the beginning and end of tracks from the RCA outs but using the headphone amplifier I hear the pops. Very annoying. Anyone else hear this? It's been like this my previous units as well. I don't have enough hours in to see if it locks up or skips like my previous two but I don't know if I will keep it long enough to find out. McIntosh customer service has been great but I am getting tired of reboxing the unit and trips back to the dealer.
 
My MCD201 does the same thing. An early firmware upgrade took care of the loud pops through the speakers, but I was astonished one day when I hooked up headphones and heard the pops again! Well, I am sorry to say I am selling my 201. The sound is great, just had enough of the quirkiness.

William
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom