• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My MCD201 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you elaborate on the problems you're having with the MC252?
My first MC252 had a channel balance problem almost immediately, then died completely within three days. Sound off, both Power Guard lights on. McIntosh replaced the unit immediately - awesome focus on customer relations.
I noticed the channel balance on my replacement amp is off by about 2 or 3 dB; the left channel is quieter. It has been consistently shifted in the time I've had it. Sound quality is good in both channels but I find it odd that the same channel has a problem in both samples. I've done all the checks to make certain it isn't the source or preamp. Just waiting for the dealer to tell me what's going to happen. All I want is to get it fixed, but I don't yet have a corrected bill of sale so I can get it into a warranty centre. I'd like the dealer to haul it in for me. It's too heavy for me to haul off a (low) tempered glass shelf with any confidence that I won't shatter the shelf or throw out my back.
 
My newest 201, August 07 production date has been in my system for a about ten days. It just started to have a few episodes of freezing, and has had a couple skips. While i'm hesitant to bring this up, does anyone have any suggestions. Try for a third, firmware update, or go for the MCD/MDA 1000 set up?

I've read through this whole thread and while it seems some are accepting of a player that's 95-97% okay, I can't be. It should simply work right. My C46 is flawless, as are my MC501's. The unit looks great, sounds great, but it doesn't work great.

If I go the MCD/MDA route, which will take some time to get them in, is it best to go straight through the 501's.

Thank you.
 
If my new one doesn't work perfectly, it goes back for something else. Cannot believe that McIntosh hasn't fixed this problem.
 
My newest 201, August 07 production date has been in my system for a about ten days. It just started to have a few episodes of freezing, and has had a couple skips. While i'm hesitant to bring this up, does anyone have any suggestions. Try for a third, firmware update, or go for the MCD/MDA 1000 set up?

I've read through this whole thread and while it seems some are accepting of a player that's 95-97% okay, I can't be. It should simply work right. My C46 is flawless, as are my MC501's. The unit looks great, sounds great, but it doesn't work great.

If I go the MCD/MDA route, which will take some time to get them in, is it best to go straight through the 501's.

Thank you.

My advice? Dump it. Get a full refund and don't try another 201:yes::thumbsdn:
 
If my new one doesn't work perfectly, it goes back for something else. Cannot believe that McIntosh hasn't fixed this problem.

They haven't fixed it because the percentage of total defects isn't high enough to warrant actions beyond what McIntosh has taken so far. This company has fallen into the overcrowded world of corporate owned businesses run by accountants who don't give a rat's arse about customer satisfaction and loyalty. McIntosh is currently milking their cushion of loyal customers that was built over years past. This is an unbiased opinion from a loyal McIntosh fan who, by the way, has a properly functioning MCD201. I've yet to own an audio product that I would consider as being absolutely perfect. My next audio shopping experience will definitely not be limited to McIntosh as it has been in the past. There are plenty of awesome products from other manufacturers in the McIntosh price category out there.
 
Why award mac for sending you bad 201's by buying a MDA1000 from them...

That's kind of been my approach. I still have my 201 because I don't want to spend more money on a source. Plus my system is purposely minimal and I use the pre amp in the 201. So not only would I have to buy a new CD player but a pre as well. I designed this system to be minimal and well now........
I will say, it works well 97% of the time and when it does it is as pleasing as one could hope.
 
201 .. haopy now but I do have reservations about future Mc purchases

My second one is pretty much flawless, but I wouldn't keep one that isn't. As a new Mc person, my experience was troubling, but I love the 275, and I have had no problem with a C45 either.

I had few skipping or freezing problems; mine would not load many disks on the first attempt.

I love how it works now, but I'm not sure I could recommend one to a new buyer without telling the person that the purchase may be an ordeal.

I'm not sure what I will do when I look for an upcoming upgrade to blu-ray/hd-dvd players. I may defect from Mc.
 
This one will be going back. In thinking about the purchase of the MCD/MDA 1000 system I didn't look at it like i'm rewarding McIntosh, but perhaps that's what it really is. From the reading i've done my C46 would become kind of usless, as direct connection to my amps from the MDA sounds like the best thing.

So, is the whole thing a sly, or not so sly, upsell:D. 201 doesn't work, well the MCD/MDA1000 is the way to go. And that C46, well the C1000 sounds much better. Hell, i'm half way sold already, glad my store doesn't have the new product in stock.

If anyone could suggest alternatives i'd appreciate it.
 
If my new MCD201 goes back I will either get the new Marantz (same parent company, 2-channel with balanced outputs) or the MVP871. As a vinyl/FM person, I need the preamp.
 
Have to chime in again, I picked my 201 up earlier than planned, have been listening for about 2 days now. Yep, drive is nosier than others I have owned but I can live with it. On only one Hybrid it will only read the redbook layer, not the sacd. And once in a blue moon will stop on its own.
All's said and done it is outstanding. Very pleased.
Right now it stops after every song, but I think I have prompted that with the forward backwards dial......
 
In thinking about the purchase of the MCD/MDA 1000 system I didn't look at it like i'm rewarding McIntosh, but perhaps that's what it really is.
The MCD/MDA is the best McIntosh has to offer in redbook CD playback. Rewarding McIntosh? Hardly. Rewarding yourself with one of the world's best redbook CD playback gear? Definitely. :yes: I also have the MCD201, MCD and MDA. Until McIntosh comes up with something that can top the MCD/MDA combo, it ain't leaving my system. :thmbsp:
 
PCH1,

Perhaps you are more right with that viewpoint. But, when one has to make that move because of problems that can't seem to be resolved with what they presently own it is a seems a somewhat tainted move. Probably gotten over with quickly though.:D

Now, does the purchase of said units render the C46 useless. The consensus appers to be a direct route from MDA to amps does it not. MCD-MDA-MC501's.

Thanks for any information.
 
Now, does the purchase of said units render the C46 useless. The consensus appers to be a direct route from MDA to amps does it not. MCD-MDA-MC501's.

Thanks for any information.
Yes, based on my own experiments and observations of others, the MCD/MDA direct to amps is the best. Unless.... you go for the C1000 or possibly the C500. Keeping the system all balanced and using AES/EBU from MCD to MDA is "the sonic bomb". :yes: :music:
 
Thanks for the information and suggestions. I have to wait to do anything so I had someone come over and do the V6 Front End Firmware upgrade. There was no information as to what this upgrade does.

The waiting is for the delivery of the new Marantz SA-11S2, or finding the SA-7S1. The store will also be dealing with McIntosh in trying to get the MCD/MDA 1000.

While i'm sure the DAC/Transport is the "sonic bomb", I like the C46 and it's tone controls, and the chance for using a TT.
 
Why award mac for sending you bad 201's by buying a MDA1000 from them...

that is their secret plan.....:D


KCrowder,

Seriously, check out some other combos just to avail yourself of what is available on the market. There is some pretty magical stuff out there :yes:
 
While i'm sure the DAC/Transport is the "sonic bomb", I like the C46 and it's tone controls, and the chance for using a TT.
At the risk of being deemed a heretic, I too like having a preamp, and if I had to do it over again today, I'd either own an Ayre C-5xe or the new Accuphase separates, both of which do SACD too. I've spent quite a bit of time with the Ayre, and it's 99.9% of the Mc separates at less than half the price. The Accuphase is the same cost as the Mc or more, but in the one short listening session I had with it in Los Angeles, I would deem it better than the Mc on CD, and frankly astonishing on SACD. It uses double-speed DSD, and I've never heard a more life-like digital source. Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased with my MDA-1000, but it's no longer the last word, IMHO. I also understand that the new Meitner CDSA is fantastic, but I haven't heard one. It too uses 2xDSD, which seems to be the new bar for DACs.

Ayre: http://www.ayre.com/products_detail.cfm?productid=13

Transport: http://www.accuphase.com/model/dp-800.html
SACD DAC: http://www.accuphase.com/model/dc-801.html

Meitner: http://www.emmlabs.com/html/audio/cdsa/cdsa.html
 
Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased with my MDA-1000, but it's no longer the last word, IMHO.
Heresy! :yikes: Expect a visit from the hooded McIntosh clan with torches in their hands. :D
 
Thanks for the suggestions as i'm not married to any brand. I'd like to honestly stay with a CD/SACD platform because I do want to keep the C46 right now. I know I can find the Ayre, so it will be getting a look. If anyone has a suggestion but does not want to put it out here please pm me.

Thanks again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom