• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My MCD201 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a good idea, both Masterlu and PHC1 have the current 201 and if you ask them; everthing is just fine.
If you ask me again, I'll tell you the same... I have an earlier unit which has never been updated with any of the firmware or software patches. The unit saw heavy use, I left it on repeat during the days for almost 3 weeks while the speakers were breaking in. It has seen constant use since then, first my own system then my son's system with no freezes, skips, lockups or excessive noise issues. The unit does take a little bit of time to "load" the CD like it always has, the MCD1000 is faster. I've had 3 instances were it became unresponsive after a power failure, reseting it according to the manual did not work right away but after a few attempts it was fine.

I don't doubt for a second or have a reason not to believe my fellow AK members that have reported issues with the unit.
I do agree that McIntosh "can" and "should" take a different approach to resolving this situation now that there have been numerous updates, upgrades, transport swaps, new units being handed out and there are still problems being reported. If this was a car, it would be going back under the "lemon law". If a 100% effective resolution to the problem is not available from McIntosh for whatever technical reasons, IMHO, a full credit towards other McIntosh products or a refund for units whithin warranty period would go a long way towards preserving the customer confidence and "brand loyalty" McIntosh has worked so hard over the years to achieve.
 
I like the rough ride, but not in a CDP.

My 69'.
 

Attachments

  • 1969_Electra-Glide_2 copy.jpg
    1969_Electra-Glide_2 copy.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 1969_Electra-Glide_3 copy.jpg
    1969_Electra-Glide_3 copy.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 1969_Electra-Glide_5 copy.jpg
    1969_Electra-Glide_5 copy.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 1969_Electra-Glide_6 copy.jpg
    1969_Electra-Glide_6 copy.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 17
All these bikes are great. But, I for one, would like us to stick to the issue of the MCD201 in hopes that someone at McIntosh (Ron C, are you reading?) will take this thread seriously and do something about it. Even to the point of asking youse guys to delete your motorcycle posts and start a thread in the Off Topic forum or somewhere else to discuss them.
 
New MCD201 arrived and is much better sounding than the 'factory rehabilitated' one it replaced. Still sounds like a tiny jet engine starting when first loading a disk, but have to stand right next to the player to hear it. And, there must have been something wrong with the other one besides just its noisy drive and inability to read disks. This unit is sonically much better. Hats off, again, to Frank Gow at Audio Classics for taking care of the issue immediately.
 
Frank at AC is a fantastic guy to deal with. I've bought all my McIntosh gear from him. Bought my used MCD201 from him a couple of months ago and have absolutely NO problems with it.
Glad you got a good one this time.
 
Looks great, similar price to the MCD201 except no preamp (so no headphone output). I wonder if the sound and the transport are better or not....
 
Looks great, similar price to the MCD201 except no preamp (so no headphone output). I wonder if the sound and the transport are better or not....

The SA-11S1 is a very fine 2 channel CD/SACD player, the new SA-11S2 uses the same DAC and all metal transport from the SA-7S1 player at about half the price of SA-7. Not a bad alternative for those who always wanted the MCD201 but were disappointed by its never ending problems.

Vahe
 
The SA-11S1 is a very fine 2 channel CD/SACD player, the new SA-11S2 uses the same DAC and all metal transport from the SA-7S1 player at about half the price of SA-7. Not a bad alternative for those who always wanted the MCD201 but were disappointed by its never ending problems.

Vahe

I own the SA-11S1 and LOVE it. (performance wise, but admittedly I miss the "aesthetics and the Mc look" of my old 201) My 201 was very noisy and locked up frequently. After going back to my dealer and listening to his 201 in the showroom, I determined that it is just a "noisy" player. My decision to change to the Marantz was based on the fact that I auditioned #2 MCD201's and both sounded identical with respect to the loud transport.
- ie the spinning/whirling sound of the transport was audible from 5+ feet away.

The Marantz is dead silent with my ear 1" from the top of the unit and reads discs very fast. It also sounds really great. (and it does have BLUE faceplate background lighting!)

Here is what Harley says about the unit:


The SA-11S1 is the ultimate music disc player. It helps fulfill the dream of every audiophile: A system that simply passes music from the artist’s mind to the listener’s ear. The heavy copper-plated chassis damps unwanted resonances while it shields internal circuits from destructive radio frequency and electromagnetic radiation. The resonance-free disc mechanism provides an ultra-stable platform for both disc and laser optical system. In addition to Marantz’s proprietary HDAM-SA signal transfer modules, audio circuits boast custom-selected internal components chosen for their combined contribution to overall signal quality. Output filters, long the downfall of other supposedly “top shelf” players, are custom-configured and individually selectable for both SA-CD and conventional CD playback. The result? Sound from your treasured CDs approaches that of today’s most advanced SA-CDs!
FEATURES
Disc Capacity 1
Multi-channel Capability -
Playback Formats SACD-Stereo, CD, CD-R/RW
HDAM -
Power Transformer Toroidal
Zero-Impedance Plate
Double Layerd Bottom Plates
Audio DAC 192kHz/24bit
Display On/Off
Selectable Filters
SACD/CD Text x (SACD)
IN/OUTPUTS
AUDIO
Analog 5.1 ch Out -
Headphone Out -
Analog L&R Out 1/1 (Balanced/Unbalanced)
Digital Optical Out 1
Digital Coaxial Out 1
OTHER
D-Bus Remote (RC-5) In/Out 1/1
SPECIFICATIONS
SACD
Format 1-bit DSD
Sampling Frequency 2.8224MHz
Dynamic Range 114dB
Frequency Response (-3dB) 2Hz - 50kHz
THD 0.0009%
CD Audio
Format 16-bit Liner PCM
Sampling Frequency 44.1kHz
Dynamic Range 100dB
Frequency Response 2Hz - 20kHz
THD 0.0020%
GENERAL
Color Gold
Front Panel Aluminum
Remote Control Aluminum Top RC-11S1SA
Power Requirement AC 120V 60Hz
Power Consumption 25W
Dimensions W x H x D (Inchs) 17-5/16" x 4-13/16" x 16-7/16"
Weight (lbs) 30.8


Here is another "independent" review:

Summary:
Marantz's new reference class SACD/CD player (2 channel) only is a pricey but top performing digital disc player. I've been playing the digital disc game since 1984 and this is the best sounding player I have heard in 20+ years. It has a full warm sound that is decidely undigital. I compared this unit head to head with my Sony XA777ES ($3000msrp). The Sony is a multichannel SACD/CD player. I owned the original SCD777ES before the XA. The XA was a sonic improvement over the SCD and the Marantz is an improvement over the XA. The Marantz has balanced analog outs as well as single ended. Note the balanced outs are apparently polarity reversed from most US gear. I swapped the pins around on a pair of XLO Sig XLR cables to get the "correct" pin config. Even with reversed polarity the balanced mode just walks all over the single ended presentation. Comparing the Sony and Marantz using single ended IC's revealed very little difference in sound. With the Marantz's balanced connections it was like comparing apples and oranges.

Strengths:
Undigital sound, full bodied and warm. All the detail and resolution is there as well with SACD or CD discs.

Weaknesses:
Flimsy plastic disc tray. Small from panel buttons. No remote power up, off or standbye. Display characters too small. Apparent reversed polarity at balanced analog outs.

Similar Products Used:
Sony SCD777ES, Sony XA777ES, Mark LEvinson 37/360S
 
Here is what Harley says about the unit:
Multi-channel Capability -
Analog 5.1 ch Out -

I was under the impression that both SA11-S1 and the recent SA11-S2 are both stereo (two channel) players, since you have one would you please elaborate.

Vahe
 
I was under the impression that both SA11-S1 and the recent SA11-S2 are both stereo (two channel) players, since you have one would you please elaborate.

Vahe

I did not notice that in his review. Nothing in my owner's maunal mentions multi-channel. (only 2 channel.)
 
To date I have wanted to try out a MCD201 directly into my MC252. For its SACD ability and the minimalist approach. Even though I thought of an 'only vinyl' set up recently, the direct CD to amp interested me/something to try.

ADD to this, Miro brought over a couple of SACDs to my place the other night and my jaw dropped. Even playing them with my Arcam CD73!
Having said all that, from what I am reading the MCD201 is highly questionable it seems, very disappointing.

Yes, I have read the comments about the earlier production runs but even still, are the noise and reliabilty issues really that global? Or are these units isolated to say under 5%.....? It looks overwhelmingly negative....
 
Ditto to PHC1, vahe, jmorgan32!!! I was one of the unlucky ones who had three "buggy" 201. Look at my signature and you can see what I bought instead. Better bass, inner detail, just as musical, no fatigue.:yes:
 
I must be one of the lucky ones. I have been using my MCD201 since mid-July and have only had it stop once, at the end of a track in the middle of playing a CD. There have been no other problems whatever and the sound is awesome. I find it very quiet in normal use, though it's not as quiet as my old player. I'm glad I wasn't aware of any controversy at the time I ordered it. My MC252 is the item with problems, and I'm hoping they will be easily resolved.
 
Ditto to PHC1, vahe, jmorgan32!!! I was one of the unlucky ones who had three "buggy" 201. Look at my signature and you can see what I bought instead. Better bass, inner detail, just as musical, no fatigue.:yes:


Nice to hear from someone who knows just how great this unit sounds. Due to my "living conditions" (neighbor with adjoining wall) I am forced to listen through headphones at night. Going directly from the SA 11 into a Grado headphone amp and into Senn 650's is unreal. I love it.
 
Ditto to PHC1
Just for the record, I have a very early MCD201 that has been flawless. The Marantz unit seems to be well built and seems to have a higher quality transport. How it sounds I don't know, never auditioned a Marantz.
 
Have to chime in again. I will be picking up a 'previously enjoyed' MCD201 soon. I honestly believe there are far more satisfied owners than dissatisfied. If I have an issue I'll send it in for a tune up, not a big deal to me, part of the fun I believe.

My only reservation has been (it is not stopping me), and if I had to try and find something to question; is taking my tube pre out of the food chain between the amp and CD player. I am keen on the warmer sound the 201 has to offer....can't wait.
 
Hi,

Can someone give me an idea of the turnaround time for MCD201 factory repairs? Mine is at the factory right now.

Thanks,

William
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom