• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My New Record Clamp

...
I´ve been following a few of the Thorens gorgeous "Stabilizers" at ebay Germany. I´ve been holding back because they always end up around the €70 mark ( over $100 ). My TD-124 screams for one, and I will get one, eventully.

Jorge

I use an Audio-Technica AT-618 disc stabilizer, but have been eying one of those Thorens "stabilizers" in a shop, too. They sure are 'eye candy', but the price has me holding back, too. I question whether the design isn't more marketing gimmickry than science, and wonder if it can possibly be worth it. I keep my eyes open for a bargain on a used one, though, because they sure do LOOK neat!
 
I'd love to try one, but his marketing technique makes me skiddish.

I've just bought this 1 lb. weight for $51.80, shipped. It has a felt pad to protect the label. I'll report back if it makes a sonic difference. I've been using the KAB rubber clamp.

I use the same one and I love it. It makes a BIG difference when you play a record that may have a slight warp like a lot of these new records being pressed today have.
 
Not to take anything away from your new tweak but a weight and clamp are not the same thing. One simply flattens the lp a little while the other couples the lp to the platter. Major differences sonically in my experience with them.

Also not looking to start a debate over which is better. Only posting my experience them them.

Using one of the other is better then not using one at all in my system.

Grumpy
 
He is a vendor who sells on the 'bay. His only 3 posts have been in the classifieds.
Just wanted to point out that member Soundgarden is not an AK Vendor, and so cannot enter this discussion on his product, in case anyone wondered about his silence.

I had looked at his classifieds, and the weights appear very nice. Glad you gave one a shot, Vato. :thmbsp:
 
You are correct. It is a "weight" and not a clamp. Either way, it does well to hold the record flat and it's easy to place and remove. My direct drive Dual has no problem spinning the platter but I have not tried it on a belt drive.

actually, either term is correct.
you can call it a clamp
you can call it a weight
you can call it a disc stabilizer
regardless, it's yours and you get to call it whatever you want.
 
I use a Sota I-clamp with my suspended AR. Like PV said, it's not a night and day difference but the bass tightens up a little and it does a fair job of flattening the record. The weight is a lot prettier than my clamp!

004.jpg


SotaIclamp.jpg
 
:jawdrop: ...really? Wow!

Okay, so I know you are kidding. But I'd bet you could find some takers for one, if you made it. To sell it you might have to add some psycho-babble nonsense marketspeak about how gold's "amorphous crystal micro-structure peaks the resonant-harmonic vibrations of the vinyl" or some such nonsense, but mostly play on the ego of the nouveau riche. Maybe take the reverse tack and simply address the benefits of adding weight/mass in general, and then "Why not get the very best - .995 pure gold, alloyed with XX for..(reasons).. Because you deserve the very BEST. Show you've arrived! Blah blah ego-stroke!" I'd bet a few dozen Mainland Chinese would buy them, along with a few Japanese, perhaps a few other Asians, a few Middle Easterners. At a thousand bucks or more over the raw gold cost (for precision machining, etc...) it might be worth doing.

Of course, any normal person could get the same function (probably better) and looks at a fraction of the cost. It's called plating...

Too funny, and true!!!
 
actually, either term is correct.
you can call it a clamp
you can call it a weight
you can call it a disc stabilizer
regardless, it's yours and you get to call it whatever you want.


Not to take anything away from the OP but I disagree with your statement above. A weight and a clamp are not the same. One is active and the other is passive.
 
Just like Urizen, I use the KAB unit.

I got so used to playing my LPs with it, I´m almost afraid it will damage my records if I don´t.:D

I´ve been following a few of the Thorens gorgeous "Stabilizers" at ebay Germany. I´ve been holding back because they always end up around the €70 mark ( over $100 ). My TD-124 screams for one, and I will get one, eventully.

Jorge

That is easy should vibration reach a level that it can move the weight the weight will vibrate. With a clamp especially a screw down style such as is found on my Pro-Ject RM-5 the clamping pressure of the threads would be far greater then the weight of the clamp without increasing the MASS of the rotating assembly by as much.

My clamp which I bet could easily place 10-12 ft pounds of torque down on to the top of a record weighs approx. 3 ounces it would require a weight much heavier then the 1 lb units to achive the clamping force a screw mounted clamp can develop.

Now somewhere in between are the collect and rubber defection type clamps these only have the clamping pressure you can achieve while pushing them in place or the amount of friction the collect can achieve while trying to grip a highly polished surface (the spindle) So to a much lessor degree then the screw on clamp.

How these various types of weights and clamps change your sound you would have to experiment to find out.

I know I never spin an LP on my RM-5 without the clamp.

And the DIY table I'm currently working on will have if I can get it done properly a screw on clamp as well (depends on how much of the spindle is going to end up sticking above the LP)
 
Interesting thought.
Would you care to ellaborate a little, please?
In what way is one passive and the other active?

I'll give it a shot:

A clamp is active since it actually couples the record to the platter by bending it (clamps use a felt washer beneath the record to assist this ACTION). If effective, it actually removes (temporarily) record warp.

A weight just sits there on the record - it only "couples," if at all, by virtue of its weight or mass. It may "deaden" resonances in the record but it doesn't attempt to join platter with record. In that way, it's passive.

I think the main point is a weight and a clamp attempt to do two different things entirely.

Jeff
 
My feelings are weight just lies on top with no applied down force other then its own weight.

A clamp applies many times its weight and is held in place usually by a Collete or screw.
 
It would be simple to create a test rig if people wanted to know how various clamps and weights compare from the point of how much force do they exert on the record.

A weight is static and of course is only going to exert the amount of force equal to it's weight.

the Sota type clamp that uses a collet to grip the spindle has a limit to it's grip before it would slip. A screw down clamp could easily develop a clamping force that could be detrimental (if it dished the LP etc.)

since I use a screw down clamp I try to tighten it to about the same level each time using the old Oil filter method. Where you spin the filter on until it touches the seating surface then you turn the filter an additional amount of rotation as stated on the filter.

In my case I spin the clamp down to touch the LP label area then I give the clamp another approx 360 degrees. this will of course change with different thread rates on the clamp and spindle.
 
Just got this today from AKer Soundgarden. A very good looking and well made record clamp machined out of solid aluminum.
PV, is it made of aluminum? I have a similar one made of billet stainless steel and I don't think an aluminum weight would be heavy enough to make any difference.

I've been thinking of buying a clamp to see if it makes any difference as I'm not overly keen on placing a one pound weight on my TT's.
 
PV, is it made of aluminum? I have a similar one made of billet stainless steel and I don't think an aluminum weight would be heavy enough to make any difference.

I've been thinking of buying a clamp to see if it makes any difference as I'm not overly keen on placing a one pound weight on my TT's.

It is aluminum and mine weighs (according to my digital scale) 12.82 oz.

My intent of this thread was not to create a debate over the virtues of a record "clamp" vs. a "weight" but rather to just share my thoughts on the product I bought and how it works for me. So far I am happy with it and certainly could have found other ways to spend $50 but I thought I would give this product a try. Nothing more and nothing less. Maybe someone (if it hasn't already been done) would like to start a thread about which is better and can actually offer a comparative study between a record "clamp" and a "weight". Hey, to each their own.

Maybe down the road I will get an actual record "clamp" and make my own comparisons. I guess that's why there are so many products out there to choose from be it phono cartridges, tonearms, TT's , cables, equalizers, isolators, speakers, and......well you get the picture. Most of us will try a product if we feel we have something to gain in SQ, aesthetics, functionality, convenience, WAF, or whatever. Satisfaction is what is important here and my "new gravity induced" weight (not record clamp) has met that criteria for me so far.

A VPI RCM is next on my list. :D
 
Maybe someone (if it hasn't already been done) would like to start a thread about which is better and can actually offer a comparative study between a record "clamp" or a "weight".

I'll post my listening impressions between the KAB clamp and Rek-O-Kut weight in the TOL section, Vato.:yes:

It should be here by the weekend.
 
I'll post my listening impressions between the KAB clamp and Rek-O-Kut weight in the TOL section, Vato.:yes:

It should be here by the weekend.

I will look forward to it.
I think all of us continuously look for ways to tweak our systems in order to get maximum listening pleasure. It's how it should be.
Thanks for your input, Urizen. :music:
 
Back
Top Bottom