• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My New Record Clamp

How to clamps attach to the spindle in order to do their clamping?

I have a couple dished records that need a clamp. Is there any household item that could work? Somebody mentioned a large binder clip, but I don't know what that is.
 
How to clamps attach to the spindle in order to do their clamping?

I have a couple dished records that need a clamp. Is there any household item that could work? Somebody mentioned a large binder clip, but I don't know what that is.

I know this is bound to garner more than a few chuckles but....
BC.jpg

I use the largest one they make. Applied carefully, you would be surprised how well they work.
 
I just use a large Acco binder clip as a clamp. None of my tables require any additional weight.

Simple, cheap, effective. Brilliant!
One day I'd like to see a whole turntable system made like that, as much as possible created with recycled non-audio stuff, but as good as possible in terms of performance. I'd like to see a pile of "junk" that would sound as good or better than the Pro-jects and Regas out there... Just for fun! But I don't think I'll be the one to create it. :D
 
I would like to see a "base plate" for the binder clip, to more effectively distribute the clamping force around the record.

In keeping with the "found objects" theme... maybe a peanut butter jar lid? :scratch2:
 
PV:

Congratulations on your new purchase. I for one think you made a wise choice.

If you need to pad the weight from your record label (which is a real good idea), There is high density rubber mat material available at some industrial marine hardware stores. I think that if you place pieces of felt or similar around the bottom of the weight, you will reduce the surface contact and thus reduce the effect of the weight. A solid hd rubber mat will give you complete contact and absorb most if not all of any resonance while protecting your labels.

Just a suggestion and if you want, pm me and I will be glad to send you about a 4" X 4" square of 1/8" hd rubber.
 
I would like to see a "base plate" for the binder clip, to more effectively distribute the clamping force around the record.

In keeping with the "found objects" theme... maybe a peanut butter jar lid? :scratch2:

I originally saw the clip idea on Vinylengine. Didn't see whether the guy had made a base but it would definitely help distribute the clamping action more evenly around the circumference of the spindle.

And yes, I'm still posting this with a straight face.
 
I want a weight made of depleted uranium with nickel plating.

Is that too much to ask?

I see one subtle difference between a weight and a clamp. The latter connects the vinyl to the spindle over a larger area while a weight might only connect the vinyl and the platter. A press fit weight might act more like a clamp.

The downforce on the record label is more a matter of degree between a clamp and a weight. A clamp could put a lot more downforce than a weight of comparable weight. But how much is enough? I can't see where more than a couple of pounds would make much difference unless the vinyl is really warped.
 
I'm using one of these stainless steel jobs on my VPI 'table:

center.jpg


It covers the label to the edges (spreads the weight over a larger area), is completely smooth with nicely rounded edges (no danger of damaging delicate labels), and has enough weight to flatten all but the most dished of records without the need of an 'active' clamp system.
 
check this door stopper we bought at JYSK in canada. it weight 3lbs, has a rubber bottom and is 3 1/4" in diameter. it would just need a hole drilled in the base. the rubber ring on the top part comes off and is just stainless underneath, pretty nice looking actually.

i'm guessing 3lbs is too much though? too bad, because it's the right size, looks nice and cost us about $10
 

Attachments

  • door stop dome.jpg
    door stop dome.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 55
I am currently using a used hockey puck I picked up at the local thrift store for $1.00. After boring the appropriate hole in the dead center I did notice some sonic differences, so much that I asked my brother-in-law, who is a machinist, if he might have any aluminum scrap he could fashion into a nice weight. He was thrilled to put his home equipment to good use. I was inspired by another web-site's thread on homemade weights, as well as this one's. I will post a pic when he's finished.
 
Heres your answer at only $1775:Audio Replas's OPS-1 HR LP Stabilizer

"By using the super-purity silica glass, our stabilizer performs direct vibration control of a vinyl disk. The stabilizer changes the vibration peculiar to vinyl into the silica glass vibration mode of a super-wide range free from distortion, bringing out the full information a vinyl disk originally has..."

0000005962-20080818.jpg


OOOOOH...Dark Magic :beatnik:
 
Heres your answer at only $1775:Audio Replas's OPS-1 HR LP Stabilizer

"By using the super-purity silica glass, our stabilizer performs direct vibration control of a vinyl disk. The stabilizer changes the vibration peculiar to vinyl into the silica glass vibration mode of a super-wide range free from distortion, bringing out the full information a vinyl disk originally has..."

0000005962-20080818.jpg


OOOOOH...Dark Magic :beatnik:

I take it that thing works best under ultraviolet light? Something about the frequency interactions of sound waves and light waves?
:D
 
It might be more cost effective to cast a weight of gold. But it might not vibrate as good as silica.

BTW, do these stubs reduce the warping on the edges of vinyl? I have a couple of those badly warped LPs that I could not really play on a Revox. My new SL-1510 has better luck with but still the cart struggles to track the grooves. It looks like those moto-cross bikes jumping over hills. The stylus doesn't really jump but it makes me wonder what happens to VTF during those climbs and downhills. I *CAN* hear wow in piano parts.

Whould pressing the center of the LP firmly against the platter reduce the warping?
 
check this door stopper we bought at JYSK in canada. it weight 3lbs, has a rubber bottom and is 3 1/4" in diameter. it would just need a hole drilled in the base. the rubber ring on the top part comes off and is just stainless underneath, pretty nice looking actually.

i'm guessing 3lbs is too much though? too bad, because it's the right size, looks nice and cost us about $10

This one may be a good option as well, not quite as heavy and is $25. I would think one must certainly invest in a drill-press to bore a spindle hole in it. But how to get it dead center?

http://www.thestainlesssteelstore.com/Blomus-Stainless-Steel-Door-Stop-p-368.html
 
Here is a pic of the record weight/handle I made for use with my DIY record cleaning machine. Can be changed however you want for your needs but I chose a wider base to keep the record label from getting wet. Just a hockey puck, a round electrical junction box cover, and for padding that gripped, I used an old mouse pad I wasn't using with the rubber side down. Silicone holds all pieces together firmly.
 

Attachments

  • Turntable Weight.jpg
    Turntable Weight.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 133
Back
Top Bottom