• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My speakers makes a popping sound when I turn on my Sansui B-2102!

jameswei

Super Member
Does this happen to other Sansui B-2012? Also at the end of a CD it also makes a popping noise. Can any Sansui B-2102 owner chime in?
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi,

Do you have the speaker select switch on when turning on the amp ?

If so does the popping noise occur as the protection relay clicks in (4-5 seconds after switching on)?

If not, does it pop when you actuate the speaker select switch after turn on?

Cheers

John
 
Yes the pop comes about 4-5 seconds when the rely kicks in.

You have some DC offset - and in the B2102 there are several offsets - the offset that will cause the speaker pop is the hot to cold (speaker positive to speaker negative) offset. If you have a multimeter you can measure the offset once the relay has engaged.

Has this just started happening, or has it been like this for a while, and getting worse?

I always have the speaker switch in the off position where possible, and wait a little while after the protection circuit has operated the relay (or the protection light has indicated that the protection circuit has operated). If there is any DC offset present when the relay operates, or if the source is present prior to the relay operating, then the relay contacts are subjected to needless wear and tear. Another reason to delay connecting the speakers is that the protection circuit will operate the relay with a DC offset of several hundred millivolts of offset present, and this offset may settle down to an aceptable level (i.e. no pop) some time after the relay has operated (by some time I mean 20 to 30 secs max)

Cheers

John
 
So replacing or cleaning the relay will probably solve this issue?

Check the DC offset first (and any other offsets) using the procedures in the service manual. Bringing down the offset in the first instance may solve your issue. Plus this is likely to be easier to do in the first instance compared to cleaning up the relay contacts.
 
Cleaning relay contacts is very often only a temporary solution - changing a suspect relay for new is a much better use of your time - however slimecity is absolutely correct that you need to check, or have checked, the DC offset first, and have it adjusted accordingly.
 
It is hightly unlikely that the popping is being caused by a faulty relay, as per the majority of advice given - first you need to check the DC offset at the speaker terminals. Ask if you need any assistance/guidance in checking the offset.
 
Don't really know how to check the off set and I found a local repairman and explain the situation and still awaits his response.
 
If you're getting a popping noise when a CD finishes playing, could it be that the CD player itself is outputting DC? IIRC the B-2102 doesn't have blocking caps on the input. I wonder how your preamp is designed. It could be worth checking the schematics.
 
Upon closer observation its only coming from the left side and without playing any music just playing with the left side gain I can hear static.
 
James,

My Marantz CD 63 KI used to give me similiar problem last time,the pop will only sounds every time the track is finish and move to a new track. The best solution is to use other source( dvd player or tape player ) to confirm that your cd player is working properly. I have no choice rather then sell the cd player because i was so frustrated it happens again after 2 times of tech visit. Very less people who can repair cd player in my place.
 
When I use my Sansui AU-X711 to play instead, everything functions correctly, therefore, I know that there's something wrong with the Sansui B/C 2102. Especially the left channel on the Sansui B-2102 amp. I don't think its a relay issue from what I have heard so far so I will take it to someone for repair because its out of my skill range. I am only good for Deoxit.
 
I used mine Dexoit skill and apply to the amp today, well the pop sound became less noticeable, but if I turn up the volume without playing any music there are wind like noise coming from the speakers. Is that bad? Should I stop using the amp till its fully repaired?
 
There are like three adjustments per channel for DC offset on that amplifier ..As well as two adjustments for bias per channel.I believe. There is on the B-2101 anyway. Diamond differential. (Hot balance,cold balance,Center DC).--( hot bias ,cold bias).. Crazy.. Test pins suck. So tiny and close together.
 
Last edited:
Cleaning relay contacts is very often only a temporary solution - changing a suspect relay for new is a much better use of your time - however slimecity is absolutely correct that you need to check, or have checked, the DC offset first, and have it adjusted accordingly.
Concur...
 
Be careful turning your volume up when its doing that. it might hurt your amp............. Take it from someone who knows. :eek:
 
Back
Top Bottom