• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

My turntables failed the Telarc 1812 Overture Test SO HARD....

You scored man!

I'd keep Firebird, thank the seller, and apologize to the sap who got 1812.
Tell us how you really fee!

I don't know if I would want to play a record that can rip a bonded tip off a stylus. Not gong to try a ruby cantilever to see if it will snap. The 1812 is more a novelty of record possibilities than a great listening experience.
 
Last edited:
My music history teacher back in the early 90's (Community College - Hayward, CA) - played that piece with his new CD setup and big speakers (CDs just came out) and I remember him being extremely proud at how it sounded - so probably the first time he was able to play it back on something was with a CD.

He was in absolute awe of that CD. We were too.
 
Just tried the 1812 on my Denon DP-47F with a Signet AM20s I recently bought. Shook the room.
 
Perhaps I'll listen to it before returning it.
I have both, and I haven't listened to them in a while. I also have that 1812 Telarc in CD format... it helps a little.
The Firebird is beautiful, 1812 seems to have been recorded as a torture test.
Now that I have a MC cartridge, and a carbon fiber tonearm, I should pull them out of the shelf and make them work.
 
The old Stanton's can usually track the 1812. My silicone fluid damped WT tonearm helps a bit too I suppose. MC cart's seem to have a rough time tracking the Cannon's but MI and MM can (some of them anyway). It's not Telarc's best recording, but it is "interesting". The Frederick Fennell - Cleveland Symphonic Winds (Telarc) of Holst's two Suites for Military Band is one of my favorites. The Concert Bass Drum hits on that one are very "realistic" sounding. Maybe a bit exaggerated?, but I've played (Trumpet) those two pieces many times, and the Trumpet section is generally right in front of the Percussion section, so - to me - it sounds "realistic".
 
I wonder how my Decca would track it. Probably well. :music:

I think my SPU would probably skip, backwards, for an endless supply of cannon shots until I jumped up to lift the tonearm! :eek:
 
yes, @w1jim is correct, the grooves are modulated so severely that many carts will not track the cannon shots.

They were not real cannons but digitally created cannons.
 
ZWc.jpeg


My Audio Technica VM540ML with it's Microline stylus just barely tracked the cannonball shots. Hardly any cartridges can track that. This is the copy I have.
My Audio Technica OC-9 ML II tracked it easily on my Rega/Moth RB-303 arm.
 
I can do without listening to the 1812, but it is a hoot to perform, especially outdoors (indoors there are "compromises"). One particularly memorable performance was outdoors at Ontario Place in Toronto. They used the guns on the HMCS Haida (WWII-era destroyer now moved to Hamilton) for the performance. Timing was a bit iffy, but whoa... the first shot sent one of the plugs they seal the muzzles with out into the lake where it swamped a small boat upon landing... oops.
 
yes, @w1jim is correct, the grooves are modulated so severely that many carts will not track the cannon shots.

They were not real cannons but digitally created cannons.
The notes that come along with the LP say that they were real cannon shots (digitally recorded). Those same notes go on to say that the cannon shots (sound) they recorded took out some windows at the recording location.
 
My Audio Technica OC-9 ML II tracked it easily on my Rega/Moth RB-303 arm.

Remembered that I was using my SME 3009 Improved arm at the time. Upgraded to a new Jelco TS-550S MKII tonearm. Need to play that album again with the Jelco arm. ;)
 
I can do without listening to the 1812, but it is a hoot to perform, especially outdoors (indoors there are "compromises"). One particularly memorable performance was outdoors at Ontario Place in Toronto. They used the guns on the HMCS Haida (WWII-era destroyer now moved to Hamilton) for the performance. Timing was a bit iffy, but whoa... the first shot sent one of the plugs they seal the muzzles with out into the lake where it swamped a small boat upon landing... oops.
In H.S. our marching band did the 1812. Being in rural Colorado in the 70's, there was no shortage of available "ammo". We had some local boys shoot 12 gauge shot guns into sand filled barrels and we had a local "cannon" hobbyist that had a small cannon that shot about a 1" ball. He rigged up a "blank" charge to shoot a wad of something so as to not "damage" anything. We were able to do a bang-up job of the 1812 for half-time! Imagine walking into a stadium today with shotguns and a small cannon!!!
 
I have collected many 1812 over the years. LP, CD, real cannons, digital cannons... Still my favorite are the Mercury originals that are different in mono and stereo. The rear of each cover details how different cannons, guns, and bells were used for each of the editions.
As far as the Telarc my Empire 66 with Jico stylus on Sony pua-77 arm tracks it if I set it at 2.0g. It's cool and all to sit in front of the woofers and feel the punch, but in all reality I still prefer either the mono or stereo Mercury LP.
 
I have the Telarc cd version of the 1812. Last time I listened to it was with My Mcintosh 2205 into a pair of 25th anniversary Advents. I still remember those Cannons.
 
My Audio Technica OC-9 ML II tracked it easily on my Rega/Moth RB-303 arm.

The original mastering of this is apparently substantially more challenging, than subsequent releases.

I think only the original is any sort of challenge.
 
I have original releases of both LP's. The Firebird is by far my favorite. My Micro Seiki DQ-43 w/Shure V-15IV/SAS tracks the 1812 with no problems. My VPI HW-19 w/Rega/Blackbird doesn't like the 1812 at all.

For those unaware, there are two versions of The Firebird. There is the original and the 1919 version. Stravinsky re-wrote a lot of the music for the 1919 version. The one from Telarc is the 1919 version. It's the version I prefer.
 
I have very special memories of the ASO Firebird recording because I was there for the sessions. One of my mentors, Dr. Cooledge (former reviewer for The Absolute Sound who introduced me to full range electrostats and HP) negotiated the contract with Telarc. Not only was he on the ASO board at the time, he was also a baritone in the chorus and naturally was very interested in being involved with the very first symphonic orchestra to record digitally with the Soundstream recorder. He knew I would enjoy being there even if my role was minor.

It was split across two days and fascinating to see how they modified the acoustic shells and drapes ("legs") to optimize the acoustics. The good doctor also endowed the ASO with a new bass drum as its voice is prominently heard. The AC was shut down which is why you see Shaw wearing a towel around his neck in one of the pics. After each take, we'd go downstairs where Dr. Stockham's recorder and monitor gear (ADS speakers/Threshold amp) was set up and listen to the results. Getting to observe Jack Renner and company set up the microphones was quite impressive for this 21 year old audiophile. It's the only album where I get a "thanks to" mention on the back cover. :)

JWC provided a lengthy story about this in Vol 4 Issue 14.
 
I have original releases of both LP's. The Firebird is by far my favorite. My Micro Seiki DQ-43 w/Shure V-15IV/SAS tracks the 1812 with no problems. My VPI HW-19 w/Rega/Blackbird doesn't like the 1812 at all.

For those unaware, there are two versions of The Firebird. There is the original and the 1919 version. Stravinsky re-wrote a lot of the music for the 1919 version. The one from Telarc is the 1919 version. It's the version I prefer.
Mine is the original release. DSCN0524_1812.jpg
 
The notes that come along with the LP say that they were real cannon shots (digitally recorded). Those same notes go on to say that the cannon shots (sound) they recorded took out some windows at the recording location.
you could be right, I was just going from memory. thanks for the correction.
 
Back
Top Bottom