• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mystery Speakers Need ID

PJ62

Well-Known Member
So some speakers showed up for sale near me, no branding anywhere but look well made. I'm trying to get the backstory, but in the meantime, can anyone id these, or tell me what the drivers are?

IMG_2988.JPG IMG_2989.JPG
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I swear those woofers look just like some supposedly Pioneer woofers I bought from Parts Express about 25-30 years ago (still have them around somewhere).
 
OK, the backstory is that they were semi custom, made in Georgia a couple decades ago by some former Bose engineers who had formed a speaker start-up. Name is unknown. Ring any bells? The set includes a sub woofer with a crispy driver.....

IMG_2991.JPG IMG_2990.JPG
 
"A few Bose guys went down to Georgia
They designed a few speakers to sell . . . ."

Heard the story? Neither have I. :dunno:

GeeDeeEmm
 
Hard to tell if that tweeter is original. Manufacturers are usually able to get a tweeter screwed in straight.
 
Last edited:
"A few Bose guys went down to Georgia
They designed a few speakers to sell . . . ."

Heard the story? Neither have I. :dunno:

GeeDeeEmm

They were in a bind cause they were way behind
so they were willin' to make a deal

When they came upon a young man
Installin' a tweeter and makin' it hot
And the Bose boys jumped
Up on a hickory stump
And said, "boy, let me tell you what"
 
I guess you didn't know it
But we got drivers too
And if you'd care to take a dare, we'll make a bet with you

Now you play a pretty good driver dude
But give ol' Doc Bose his due
We'll bet a tweeter of gold
Against your dome
'Cause we think we're better than you
 
Last edited:
I think those are old paradigm speakers. Pretty sure i've seen the same sub and I know the titans were about the same size. Paradigm used vifas and energy (i think) used the clear cone drivers
 
The guy I got them from was the original owner. He is probably in his mid 60s. He for sure did not build them himself, he said he was living in Atlanta 20+ years ago when he got them, and was quite certain the guys who built the set for him were former Bose employees, but couldn't remember what they called their little start up. He told me that while he used them until recently in a home theater setup, they were not originally bought as a home theater set. The sub is passive, with 2 sets of inputs and 2 sets of outputs, and is a pretty heavy 16" cube. The fit and finish is way better than any home brew I've ever seen (not that that I have a huge amount of experience with DIY speakers)
 
The guy I got them from was the original owner. He is probably in his mid 60s. He for sure did not build them himself, he said he was living in Atlanta 20+ years ago when he got them, and was quite certain the guys who built the set for him were former Bose employees, but couldn't remember what they called their little start up. He told me that while he used them until recently in a home theater setup, they were not originally bought as a home theater set. The sub is passive, with 2 sets of inputs and 2 sets of outputs, and is a pretty heavy 16" cube. The fit and finish is way better than any home brew I've ever seen (not that that I have a huge amount of experience with DIY speakers)
I guess you have to go with what you were told. :dunno: A passive sub with speaker level in and out is unusual in that the sub and sub-sequent (see what I did there) connected speakers will be combined with the sub's ohm resistance.
 
Last edited:
I guess you didn't know it
But we got drivers too
And if you'd care to take a dare, we'll make a bet with you

Now you play a pretty good drivers dude
But give ol' Doc Bose his due
We'll bet a tweeter of gold
Against your dome
'Cause we think we're better than you

This is stellar toxic Daniels!
 
I guess you have to go with what you were told. :dunno: A passive sub with speaker level in and out is unusual in that the sub and sub-sequent (see what I did there) connected speakers will be combined with the sub's ohm resistance.

Not necessarily. I assume this thing has an internal low-pass crossover that splits out the low end and sends the rest to the outputs, just like a modern powered sub would do.
 
Not necessarily. I assume this thing has an internal low-pass crossover that splits out the low end and sends the rest to the outputs, just like a modern powered sub would do.
But the ohm resistance of the sub and the connected speakers will still be combined in some way. Since this is a passive sub, it is just another speaker that has to be driven by the same amplifier that will be driving the speakers. A powered sub only takes the audio signal from the amplifier using the speaker level inputs. I'm assuming the combined ohm rating has been carefully thought out considering it's a three piece set.
 
Back
Top Bottom