• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mystery Speakers Need ID

I guess you didn't know it
But we got drivers too
And if you'd care to take a dare, we'll make a bet with you

Now you play a pretty good driver dude
But give ol' Doc Bose his due
We'll bet a tweeter of gold
Against your dome
'Cause we think we're better than you
Bose = buy other stereo equipment? Ha ha I love Bose bashing . My friend knew a rich guy who loved Bose , just for small size not sound quality. I’m talking about the cube speakers not any of there half decent ones.
Cube speakers = worse then any bookshelves.:(

How do the speakers sound tho ? They look decent , sub needs some work.
 
But the ohm resistance of the sub and the connected speakers will still be combined in some way. Since this is a passive sub, it is just another speaker that has to be driven by the same amplifier that will be driving the speakers. A powered sub only takes the audio signal from the amplifier using the speaker level inputs. I'm assuming the combined ohm rating has been carefully thought out considering it's a three piece set.

Well, yes, but unless it is wildly different (e.g. a 4 ohm sub combined with 8 ohm mains), the overall impedance seen by the amp will not be much different at all. And as you say if they were designed as a set they should mate up pretty well.
 
Well, yes, but unless it is wildly different (e.g. a 4 ohm sub combined with 8 ohm mains), the overall impedance seen by the amp will not be much different at all. And as you say if they were designed as a set they should mate up pretty well.
Speaker crossovers uses two, three, even four drivers and the impedance matches fine. All this sub is probably doing is using an internal crossover to send the bass to the sub and the rest through the speaker outputs. Then the crossovers in the L/R speakers would handle the rest. (Or in other words, the crossover is just split up between cabinets vs. being all in one.)
 
Dealing with some health issues with my elderly in-laws right now, when I get some time I'll pull the drivers and look at the numbers............
 
I had a Bose Acoustimass AM-5 sub that was set up the same way: passive with HL in and HL out.

The clear cones remind me of my KLH 150s, but that's where the similarity ends. I agree with Vifa tweeters.
 
Bose's early attempts to sell at department stores and mass merchandisers had the sub brand InterAudio. The beginning of leveraging the brands name and heratige for marketing purposes.

A fairly low point in the company's history as the speakers were of much lower quality than any of their earlier *01 series.
 
Just pulled the subwoofer. No foam left, dust cap smashed, and the outer gasket ring has crumbled to dust as well. Part number looks to be a 10" Pioneer dual voice coil 6 ohm driver. So.....refoam or replace?
file-11.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Well Parts Express tells me I'm out of luck, nobody makes anything like that anymore so no replacement, crossover is probably custom tuned to that driver, and I should send it to a speaker specialist to repair........
 
Last edited:
Madisound just told me to send it to Miller Speakers.....probably wont find foam for that speaker.....
 
Last edited:
They just said I may want to try Simply Speakers for foam, anybody ever deal with them?
 
Foam shouldn't be a problem, you can get replacement foam for pretty much any standard shaped driver. Millersoud can fix almost anything, including something like this, but check eBay first, it may be cheaper to replace with a used identical driver.
 
Holler at Rick Cobb, rcobb@tampabay.rr.com. He can get almost any surround you need. You'll need to know exact cone diameter, inside dia. of the basket (i.e. max outer diam. of the surround), flat or angled edge on the cone, and how big the 'roll' is on the surround if there is enough left to see it.

Dust cap can be replaced during refoaming esp. if you are a shimmer, or pull it out with vacuum and let it be. It won't hurt anything crinkled up a bit.
 
The dust cap popped off as I pulled the driver out of the box. Its mashed pretty good, half the lip is stuck to the cone, but I guess I could reuse it if I had to.

Contacted Rick Cobb, he said sorry, don't have what you need. Simply Speaker said they didn't have Pioneer specific surrounds, use a generic 10" speaker surround, and I'm still waiting to hear from Springfield Speaker.
Anybody else I should be looking at?
 
Back
Top Bottom