• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Nakamichi CA-7A worth picking up?

lmfree

Active Member
I just picked up a Nakamichi Dragon and the seller also has a CA-7A he wants to sell. I don't know anything about this Preamp. Is it worth picking up and what might it be worth. He isn't giving me a price at the moment.
 
Register to hide this ad
Pretty darn good pre which was usually sold with the PA7 / II Power Amp. Noticeably better than the cheaper CA-5.

Some audio snobs will look down on it, don´t let that bother you.

I have no idea about value, though.
 
Guess what: one with the remote was sold on eBay (Item number 290500544027) for $1000! I guess I didn't make you happy, but you don't have to share this info with the seller!
Another one is currently active (Item number:230553122730) for BIN $750, but pretty beaten up.
Hope it helps.
Good luck!
 
I don't know about better than a CA-5 (which IMO is a really gorgeous, minimalist design), but it's certainly more full-featured. The CA-7 and CA-7A a highly regarded preamp and the remote's a nice touch. (Will also allow you to remote control your tape deck, the ST-7 tuner, and some Nak CD players)

I've always been interested in picking one up to try, but I've never seen a real deal on one.
 
I bought mine a few years ago. It is in good shape, with some lights flecks of paint missing, and one knob with scratches. I paid $300 and thought I got a great deal. It sounds fantastic. They usually run around the $700 range. Make sure all the buttons are there. They seem to jump off. Good luck.
 
I just picked up a Nakamichi Dragon and the seller also has a CA-7A he wants to sell. I don't know anything about this Preamp. Is it worth picking up and what might it be worth. He isn't giving me a price at the moment.

You got a Dragon? You lucky dog!:D Congrats on that! It's one of those items that are on my list of: "Units I'd love to get but will most likely never run across locally or be able to afford". Of course one never knows.
 
Based on your sig line we should asking you about pricing. :D Looks like you already have some of the best that Yammie has to offer. But to keep on topic, the info you have already received is right in line with today's prices for this pre (based on its condition of course). Not my cup of tea in pre's, but as they say "To each his own". I listened to one a few years ago that was in a full Nak system and for me it seemed to get in the way of the final product, which were some VMPS RM30's. Please don't get me wrong, I loved the sound. There was just something that didn't sound right to ME. And no, I can not describe what "right" should have been. Right for me is something between my ears and brain that has no verbal descriptive, but I know when it happens for ME.
 
I paid something like $400 for mine on fleaBay, without a remote but in reasonable shape. I paid another $125 or so for the remote when it came up. I've recapped mine (there are only a few electrolytics in the preamp), but that's about all I've done with it. I'm very happy with it.
 
Nakamichi 5 A2 preamp

Hello everyone ,, just to add to the Nakamichi post .. I
have a 5A-2 .. i cant seem to find a better sounding preamp .in my price range. i just boxed up a emotiva usp-1 cause i didnt like it .. i even bought a audio research preamp . that also went back a month ago .. just love the sound i get from the 5A preamp. Can't seem to let it go ..
stuff im using with the Nak 5a .. i have a proceed /and emotiva amps. Krell and shandling cd players ,, north creek borealis ,B&W 801s .spica t 50s .. im sure there are better pre amps out there .i keep trying to get better sound,sometimes i don't think it can happen. like they if its not broke don't fix it.
 
Back
Top Bottom