• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

need speaker advice

cp2buy

Super Member
Could someone compare the pros and cons of the Dynaco A25 and RS Mach 1? I have heard the mach 1 but not dynaco A25. thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
about as similar as an english sportscar and a dumptruck.

i find the mach series painful to listen to . many listeners like them , but i suspect some of
them were brought up on boomy car stereo systems where they grew accustomed
to an imbalance of deep bass and sizzly highs. a great rap / metal /electronic
disco speaker. super efficient .

A-25s could be considered the exact opposite- balanced ,with subdued bass,
natural midrange and ever slightly rolled off highs...excellent imaging from the huge
dome tweeter . a great jazz, acoustic music , classic rock , blues ,vocal speaker.
-not super efficient, will work with small amps but needs 70-120 watts to really shine.
i love mine with organ combos(jimmy smith,lonnie smith) and acoustic guitar(tony rice)
 
about as similar as an english sportscar and a dumptruck.

i find the mach series painful to listen to . many listeners like them , but i suspect some of
them were brought up on boomy car stereo systems where they grew accustomed
to an imbalance of deep bass and sizzly highs. a great rap / metal /electronic
disco speaker. super efficient .

A-25s could be considered the exact opposite- balanced ,with subdued bass,
natural midrange and ever slightly rolled off highs...excellent imaging from the huge
dome tweeter . a great jazz, acoustic music , classic rock , blues ,vocal speaker.
-not super efficient, will work with small amps but needs 70-120 watts to really shine.
i love mine with organ combos(jimmy smith,lonnie smith) and acoustic guitar(tony rice)

I wouldn't compare A-25s to English cars, the A25s require very little/no maintenance to last 30 years of daily use. :D
 
We have 2 pair of Dynaco's and 2 pair of Mach 1's also! They are both great speakers...Mach 1's are great for ROCK!...Nice n' loud!! The Dynaco's are great for rock too...and any other kind of music!! The Dynaco's are classics...fit into the room nicer, with the decor....Mach 1's are more wreckroom/partyroom friendly!!
 
Good choice I recently heard a a pair of A-25s and was shocked how full and refined they sounded for a speaker of that vintage.
 
I like my Mach Ones for just getting loud and feeling the "energy" of the music. They sound better than you'd think. They will play very loud too! It's all about what you are pushing them with and placement more than anything. Having said that, the Dynaco A-25s are just awesome all around. Very smooth and big sounding. Some people complain (I'm one) about the highs being a bit too rolled off. I picked up my last pair with one tweeter working and one not working. So, I had some Dayton 1 1/8 inch dome tweeters that I put in them. WOW! Now, they are very hard to stop listening to... The highs are still very smooth and didn't upset the balance much. I think they are about 88 db/1 watt efficient. That's really close to what the woofer is doing. So it worked better than I hoped. They don't have much bass below 50 or 60 hz but they will fool you. They sound very good with most music and you don't really miss the very bottom end much. I never thought I'd say that... Have fun and enjoy!
 
Back
Top Bottom