• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New ESS Heil Speakers!!

You don't want to block the sides-only the front-to prevent cancelation.
Leave the sides open.
I think I posted a picture that had the front and the sides blocked off-and after listening realized my mistake-I should have corrected the picture.
My first system (2nd still under refrub) has the AMT3's up against a banister on a slpit level-which really seems to work well.
Addressing the bass issue again-I think if you stick with the stock woofers-the amp becomes more important. Part of it could be Alnico discharge-but the woofers aren't as efficient as the AMT, and possibly transition driver. A fact with other woofer tweeter combo's as well.
The H/K amps I have seems to have enough drive in the low end to make up for this.
I experimented with a few other amps, and non seemed to work as well-despite having high power.
The Acurus A250 was probably the worst of the bunch-not a good match with the AMT3's-thin bass, brittle highs. I didn't however try it with the matching Acurus preamp.
I would love to try them with a Citation I or V amp/preamp combo, as they never seemed like a 'slow' tube amp when I listened to them, and have great bass response-especially the V.
The main reason-in a nutshell I went back to the stock woofers-was because I found myself listening to the speakers instead of the music-like I was when I got my first pair of AMT3's-and I missed that.
I like the speakers disappearing and just have fun with the music.
I also ran into this when demoing cd players recently, and settled on one that played music and didn't draw attention to one specific thing.
Again a issue of taste.

So you're saying only block the areas beside the Heil to prevent any sound from coming from behind but leave the side openings open?
 
Yes-just block the front, on each side. Try to make them more or less flush with the front plastic edge of the Heil enclosure. Leave the side openings (grills) open to let the sound out.
Blocks of foam more or less the depth of the Heil enclosure should work.
This will give you the lost ambience back, and yet prevent the cacellation.
 
Exactly ! I guess they never heard of Altec Lansing ! :D :smoke: I do like the big heil Tweet's though.

Sure a heard a few Altecs in my time-nice speakers-but this cat will stick to the AMT3's.
They are the best of the lot-and hard to compare to the 2-ways, as those deficiencies mentioned are gone.
Although I still think those dfifiencies are overblown-seal the cabinets recap and refurb and they still sound better then the majority of speakers around, imaging,toanlity etc.
None of them are perfect-what speaker is?-they all have their draw backs. But when driven with the correct gear, and refurbed properly are a musical giant, and their small deficiencies disappear in the music:music:
And that's what it's all about anyway IMHO
 
Last edited:
Yes-just block the front, on each side. Try to make them more or less flush with the front plastic edge of the Heil enclosure. Leave the side openings (grills) open to let the sound out.
Blocks of foam more or less the depth of the Heil enclosure should work.
This will give you the lost ambience back, and yet prevent the cacellation.

Yeah,baby!:banana:
 
side blocking

Hi. I need a pic of the foam treatment. Has it changed from before?:scratch2:

If the 1040s are still for sale send me a pm please.

I picked up a Pioneer sx 950 and have been trying it with the AMT3's. So far, great match.
 
As promised some pics. I used some P.E. convuluted acoustic dampening foam I had handy.
The large blockes extending to the back are 2 pieces put together via convulutions-so the little gaps you see aren't important. You need to completely block off the side grills, as the rear Heil output is left open.
Not pretty but effective.
Alos, if you have one of the earlier models that has the perforatted top masonite board, you will have to fill the holes in.
Silicone should work, just a dap to seal off the holes.

to revive an old thread...

I also tried making some "foam blocks" and installed them over the weekend. went to WalMart in the Arts/Crafts section and found a big roll of 1" thick, 2ft wide and 5ft long Foam Roll. took measurements of the spaces around the Heil and through the side panels. Cut the pieces to stack on each other to mimic the design like in Mojo's photos..

All I can say is WOW... made a huge difference for imaging and soundstage. the Roll cost about $15.
 
Back
Top Bottom