• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New members with zero posts asking via pm...

harman/kardon

From the Fatherland
Subscriber
This happened so often in the last weeks, and just today again.

New AK members with zero posts are asking for technical support concerning vintage gear. Why is this so? Do they think that the member with the highest post count is also highly competent concerning technical problems?

(I am not as most of you know, I am nothing but an offbeat AK court jester.)

However, are these messages spam?
 
Register to hide this ad
I judge spam by the content. Are they asking for "on-topic" (audio) help? I just consider them misguided, and direct them to post in the appropriate forum, since their pm's technical question is woefully off-target, when directed at me. (Just like you, Chris)

If they are asking for you to go take a survey, or visit a project post about some sociological experiment, or some other method of mining our members for their information, I consider it spam. If you think it is, you can invite me into the conversation, and then reply to the sender that you have done so. I will take care of the rest. This, since there is no provision for marking a conversation as "spam".
 
Or MOI... I LIKES Me some SPAM..MBWAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Maybe these Americans will be juicy, succulent 'n' Tender-Unlike them Feckin Indian Scammers I normally chew up-They're typically bitter, stringy, sour, & VERY bony... An' I NEVER have liked Curry aftertaste at all...
 
I judge spam by the content. Are they asking for "on-topic" (audio) help? I just consider them misguided, and direct them to post in the appropriate forum, since their pm's technical question is woefully off-target, when directed at me. (Just like you, Chris)

If they are asking for you to go take a survey, or visit a project post about some sociological experiment, or some other method of mining our members for their information, I consider it spam. If you think it is, you can invite me into the conversation, and then reply to the sender that you have done so. I will take care of the rest. This, since there is no provision for marking a conversation as "spam".

Thinking of the situation, and considering your reply, Ernie, I suppose that the messages are (probably) no spam. These newcomers are apparently not capable of using the search tool, so they just ask the member with 65000 soandso posts on the post count...

Hell, this legendary :rolleyes: AK member does for sure know anything about technical vintage hifi gear problems because he is N°1 so I will just ask him. :rolleyes:


Sandy, Unca, tell them that I DON'T - (at least referring to technical subjects...) ;)
 
Last edited:
Invite ME into the conversation ... that should scare them off. ;-}

I, like Chris, receive a lot of these types of communiques. Heck, I think Chris and I have received a few such in the same "convo".

Well sKiZo, I'm takin' ya up on yer offer and I'll start forwarding this stuff to you, heh heh. You ain' gonna believe what some of these folks are requestin'...
 
This happened so often in the last weeks, and just today again.

New AK members with zero posts are asking for technical support concerning vintage gear. Why is this so? Do they think that the member with the highest post count is also highly competent concerning technical problems?

Chris,

I think, in my case, it's a combination of my post count affable, inviting countenance, as reflected in my Avatar, that yields so many queries.

nb: If they'd bother to run a search and read my posts, they'd MORE likely ask me about LPs, Metal, and/or old geetars. But no...
 
As an Administrator on a car forum, and a Super Moderator on a truck forum, I get these types of private messages from time to time.

My post count on both sites is up there, and I am a staff member, so that would lead some to think of me as a technical resource. I am, to an extent, but I direct the members to the open forum and encourage them to read the forum a bit in those sections applicable to their question.

Just call me Sergeant Schultz.

sergeant-schultz.jpg
 
I get asked "what do you think of this" questions. I'll give a little teaser and then suggest to not be so shy and post in a public forum.

Good way to handle it. I'll offer a (very) modest bit of advice if it's a topic I know (at all), but then almost always direct them to X Forum(s), where the guys in the (genuine) "know" hang out.
 
Looking at the number of posts many of you have, I feel like a newbie. Guess I have to start PMing you with all my technical issues. :confused:
 
Back
Top Bottom