• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New or vintage crossover for A5 VOTT

What would be a killer deal on these? He wants me to make an offer.
If the coaxial is a 904 duplex in the condition you describe, 500 bucks for all 3 drivers would be a killer deal. But, you're going to spend 1-1/2 times that again to rebuild them all.
 
They're 8 ohm, which optimizes them for solid state power. But, by no means does it limit them to solid state power.

A watt is a watt, as long as they're good watts an Altec doesn't care where you get them.

Are they musical like a 515B or is the cone too heavy? Relatively speaking.
 
Still waiting for my electronic crossover for bi amping.I think what I'm wanting to do is move the sound lower towards my chest. Is that possible? Thanks
 
My Rane crossover arrived today. Hooked up a Maggie and my ST-70 and tuned it by ear. Took a little while but got the A5's sounding pretty fair. I'm going to take some measurements with REW and see if I can figure out how to set the levels and the delay. This is too much for my pea brain.
 
Took some measurements with the crossover at what I think is 700 Hz according to the clicks. The UMIK-1 is about 5 feet from the center of the magnets in between the drivers.
 

Attachments

  • speaker graph1.jpg
    speaker graph1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 19
  • speaker graph smoothed.jpg
    speaker graph smoothed.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 19
The guy finally responded with some pictures and I bought the stuff. There's a 1233 cabinet with a 421-8LF with cast basket and a good cone that plays music. I think the crossover is aftermarket and the top of the cabinet is in fair condition. The 811B in it has an 808-8A with an aftermarket Chinese looking diaphragm. A 511B with a 34075 and open diaphragm, (2) 421's one with a stamped steel basket and one with a cast basket. A 904-8A that needs a diaphragm and a cone. I have a 604-16E cone that is coming, could I use that in the 904? Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 421-8H.jpg
    421-8H.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 421-8LF(1) cone.jpg
    421-8LF(1) cone.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 421-8LF(1).jpg
    421-8LF(1).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 421-8lf(1) face.jpg
    421-8lf(1) face.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 421-8LF.jpg
    421-8LF.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 511B.jpg
    511B.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 21
  • 808 cap.jpg
    808 cap.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 808-8a.jpg
    808-8a.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 904.jpg
    904.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 811B.jpg
    811B.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 20
More pics
 

Attachments

  • 604e(1).jpg
    604e(1).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 1233.jpg
    1233.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 20
  • cabinet.jpg
    cabinet.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 18
  • R604E.jpg
    R604E.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 34075.jpg
    34075.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 19
could I use that in the 904?
You can.

But, why would you?

You're not going to find a mate for that cone any time soon if ever, and it would be supremely valuable to someone who owns 604E's.

Why do anything with the 904 before you have a path to a mate for it?

Wouldn't make much sense to stuff that 16 ohm E cone in there and then stumble on a deal for a good working 8 ohm duplex. Further, if you source a second duplex needing recone, what you can sell that factory E cone for would more than buy 2 new 604 cone kits in the impedance of your choice.

The 421-8LF has been reconed with a 921 kit.

The 15 inch 421 doesn't have a steel frame, no 421 ever did. It's simply the old style, 15 inch, rear mount only, die cast basket.

34075 is an 808-8B, has a tangerine phase plug where the 808-8A has an annular slit steel phase plug.

Yes, the 8A has a POS import diaphragm, not worth the cost of shipping.

Just my .02 of course...
 
Nice. I assume all that stuff is semi local to you? Man I need to find some more Altec parts locally.

If you have a 421 that has a good cone you should listen to it to see what you think.

I think the only 421 I’ve had with original cones was a pair of 421A. I didn’t like them in my 828 cabs, and ended up selling them.

I did have 921 in my 817 cabs, and I liked those. But I did add some EQ at the time.
 
Further, if you source a second duplex needing recone, what you can sell that factory E cone for would more than buy 2 new 604 cone kits in the impedance of your choice.

What is the difference between the E cone kit I have and a 604 kit I can buy? Are you saying it would be unlikely to find another factory E cone kit?

it would be supremely valuable to someone who owns 604E's

I'm going to pick it up in a minute and it'll be for sale. Do you think I can get a few hundred for it?

The 421-8LF has been reconed with a 921 kit.

Should I sell the 1233 as a whole keeping the 921 cone 421 in it?

The 15 inch 421 doesn't have a steel frame, no 421 ever did. It's simply the old style, 15 inch, rear mount only, die cast basket.

Are these good for a 416 conversion or only the 421a? They look quite similar. I haven't seen an Alnico 421.

34075 is an 808-8B, has a tangerine phase plug where the 808-8A has an annular slit steel phase plug.

You think I should put Radian diaphragms, GPA or sell them as is? Best return for my buck

Just my .02 of course...

Your 2 cents is like gold bars :)

Nice. I assume all that stuff is semi local to you? Man I need to find some more Altec parts locally.

Yes, The guy had an ad posted and I asked if he had any other stuff. I paid a bit too much, $850. The E cone kit I bought somewhere else. Hopefully the 904 is the saving grace here. I'd like to sell everything except the 904 and 421 for recone and recoup some of my money. My intention is always to get what I want to keep for free.:) Thanks[/QUOTE]
 
Hell yeah. That’s how I’ve funded my audio hobby for years. Buy a bigger lot of stuff and sell off what I don’t want. Then the rest is free. Or, buy something and flip it, then roll that money into something else I want.

I figure it’s not dirty being a flipper as long as the money is used on stereo gear :)
 
What is the difference between the E cone kit I have and a 604 kit I can buy?
First and foremost, scarcity. Secondly, proper original family part number/cone number. Thirdly, long out of production and when you split the fine hairs probably doesn't sound quite the same as the contemporary replacements.

Are you saying it would be unlikely to find another factory E cone kit?
Highly unlikely, not impossible. An informed owner/seller would be aware of it's significant value to an owner of 604E's interested in their long term preservation as close to original as possible. Most of all valuable to owner's of original pairs with one damaged/blown LF section.

Do you think I can get a few hundred for it?
Let's not address that here as it will get the thread moved to D&S.

Should I sell the 1233 as a whole keeping the 921 cone 421 in it?
Tough call, you're asking someone who puts a very low value on the rode hard and put up wet 70's PA speakers.

Are these good for a 416 conversion or only the 421a?
The geometry for the moving parts and the motor itself are the same. The main difference is that the series II frames have that wide mounting rim that allowed them to fit various bolt circle dimensions when replacing other brand MI speakers, and the ability to mount to either side of the baffle/motorboard.

You think I should put Radian diaphragms, GPA or sell them as is?
I'm not sure there would be any net gain to replacing diaphragms to sell. Few informed buyers would be interested in a non-matching pair of horn drivers. But again, it's a tough call. A used car dealer would tell you(and he'd be right) there's an ass for every seat.
 
Last edited:
I got my grubby little hands on the cone. Man, I was a little worried it would get damaged in shipping. This is the second one I've had. I'm getting pretty lucky, lately.The first went to a guy I deal with locally and in hindsight was more valuable than I thought @ 350-400. It had the 211 Altec numbers on it. The other one was a cone and voice coil. This looks like a complete kit.I'm salivating over it.:) I'm not giving this one away. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 604cone.jpg
    604cone.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 604e(2).jpg
    604e(2).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 604e(3).jpg
    604e(3).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 604e(4).jpg
    604e(4).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 19
Gotta love Fridays with no work!
I think I should get the 904 reconed and let it marinate until I find a mate. Should I get it 904 or 604? If I get it reconed as a 604, I'll have to have the next 904 reconed as 604 also, right? The 904 isn't as pleasing as a 604, it takes more power for abuse, correct? I want the best sound without killing the value.
 
I believe it will become a 604-8H(assuming 8 ohm components) which means you can match it up with another 604-8H, or reconed 904.

Yes, the 904 was designed for high power/high output monitor/side fill/sound reinforcement applications
 
Back
Top Bottom