• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Separates from Line Magnetic...

It does not matter if you use separate preamp or not. Audio signal still passes ALL tubes.

This is interesting I would have though the preamp would bypass the integrated amp's preamp stage - you wonder then what the "switch" on the front of the integrated is for. You plug the preamp into the preamp in section and I was under the impression the switch then takes the preamp signal and passes that preamp stage to the power amp section of the integrated and that the 12AX7 while on would not have signal fed to them.

I tried out three preamps recently and all three had very different sound through the 219IA - and presumably the additions would add noise - but none and even with 100dB sensitive loudspeakers.

Learn something new all the time here.
Cheers
 
Nice new speakers from Line Magnetic - I have no details except that is the 755i driver - top unit is a CD player and the second one down is a DAC

1zci91k.jpg
 
I run Audio Note Es and J's and AX Twos and KEF LS-50s (in order of sound quality as well). These are designed for 7 watts (not the KEF). The speakers you are looking at are very clearly not designed for SET amplifiers or really any low powered designs - they specifically state a minimum of 100 watts.

Actually I have to say this Salk speaker is almost my nightmare speaker from looking at it. It's MTM - not a fan, it's Transmission Line, not a fan, it's mass loaded, not a fan, and it uses a ribbon tweeter, not a fan. And it's hard to drive if it needs a minimum of 100 watts - and I'm not a fan of speakers that need more than about 10 watts.

Basically, IMO you should try and keep like designs in common. If the speaker maker designs for low watt amps then chances are he is a designer who is into SETs and tubes and not SS. The low powered amp designer intends his amps to go with these kinds of high efficiency speakers. Both companies basically have the same ear and preference. The guy who makes speakers that need at least 100 watts is most likely into kilowatt Bryston or Krell like amplifiers. Bryston and Krell designers aren't exactly into HE speakers or horns. I believe consider the entire system as a whole will yield better results than forcing square pegs through round holes.

I prefer high to very high efficiency speakers because you have the most amp choices and in general HE speakers sound much much better at low to medium level and have more dynamic presence and ease.
 
Line Magnetic 502CA discontinued - ha my review was done and submitted and soon to be posted as well. New model will be DSD capable according to Tone Imports. Herb Reichert of Stereophile also has the 502CA. Oh well.
 
Line Magnetic 502CA discontinued - ha my review was done and submitted and soon to be posted as well. New model will be DSD capable according to Tone Imports. Herb Reichert of Stereophile also has the 502CA. Oh well.

Any chance they'll make a new version of the 515 that'll be a more universal player, playing SACD, HDCD, and regular CDs?
 
I hope to do a three preamp shootout using the LM 219IA and the 503PA monoblocks on April 2nd. The preamps I am looking at are the 512CA, Rogue Audio Athena, and Melody Platinum Pre 101.

Hi RGA, I am seriously looking at the LM 503PA monoblocks and was hoping that you could give your impressions compared to the 219IA. I currently have the 518ia but modified with Duelund + Mundorf SG oil caps, lundahl grid stoppers, Parmeko choke and Audio Note/shinkoh resistors. WE845 1:1, WE274b, Seimens el34's and Mullard long plate 12ax7's. The amp as it stands now is really good and I am hoping that the 503PA would be a step up? Possibly using Elrog 845 and 300b with the same mods above......

Any help with this decision would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Greg
 
Hey Greg
I have the 219A and use it with a LM 126 pre-amp.I was told LM 503PA 30% better then 219A but remember they are the same 219 Amp just split in half.The Singapore Version was upgraded with some parts to get the 30% better.I will go mono blocks myself but will go higher to the LM 212 Amp which has a new model out in 2 months time.That said if I don't have the funds for the LM 212 Amp I would get the LM 503PA and be happy with the same power.
Stump
 
I probably wouldn't go for the 503PA - I compared them to the 219IA and didn't think it was really any better even with the same preamp. The HK dealer too felt the same. Whether it's an upgrade over a modified 518 I can's say because I have not heard highly modded versions of them.

I'm going to be moving to the Audio Note Empress Monoblocks down the line. Fortunately, I don't need the power. Cheers.
 
I probably wouldn't go for the 503PA - I compared them to the 219IA and didn't think it was really any better even with the same preamp. The HK dealer too felt the same. Whether it's an upgrade over a modified 518 I can's say because I have not heard highly modded versions of them.

I'm going to be moving to the Audio Note Empress Monoblocks down the line. Fortunately, I don't need the power. Cheers.
Hi RGA
Thanks for the feedback unfortunately they were already on order by the time that I received your reply. That said I am loving the amplifiers. I did change the coupling cap to some Jupiter copper's. I am looking at some options for a preamp and as you have heard many including the amplifiers, I hope that you may be able to share some of your thoughts and reccomendations?

Thank you for your time and help.

Greg
 
Lovely thread
Plethora of information here by individuals who have personally owned the amps they recommend.
I too am looking for a 15+ watt, zero feedback SET amp and found great choices to pick from after reading through.
Since the day I heard the AN ONGAKU, I am in search for that exact soul-touching sound. There may be many other amps which may be "audiophile", but the ONGAKU was all about getting to the soul of "Music".
Need to audition the LM series asap.
 
Well the Ongaku (and Tomei and Jinro) are IMO in a whole other league over the stuff I've heard from LM. The Ongaku is apparently the simplest amplifier design there is. There really is no equivalent to the design from others - nothing from LM and even though Melody Valve Audio tries to suggest their amp is the equal for 5% of the cost it's a totally different actual design (nor does it sound remotely as good IMO). But that's okay and all - it doesn't remotely cost as much.

I'm pretty big on looking at the value for the dollar. AN, as nice as they are, don't offer high power amplifiers for anything approaching reasonable sums of money. The closest you get is the 18 watts per channel Soro. But it's a SEP not a SET. The 219IA at 24 watts per channel and $7500 (less in Asia) is pretty difficult to beat in terms of high watt SET with excellent build and good parts and is dual mono and has a remote and can be used as power amp. There is some competition but from riskier companies with less dealer support.

You can always run a dedicated preamp later. I was very impressed that running three different preamps made rather staggering changes (improvements) to the sound. Indeed, as good as the Jinro is - it too is much better as a power amp only. It all depends how you like your preamps - active, passive, etc. Both have their advocates. For me a good active sounds richer fuller and has more presence - but some find it bloated or additive than accurate. Although the passives are often cited as lean and digital and thin.

I really like the Jinro - Steve Hoffman loves it. But it's close to 4 times the price of the LM 219IA and the Ongaku is nearly 20 times the price.
 
Thanks for your insight RGA, I am currently using an intact Slagle passive and pondering the Melody platinum 101d however I was wondering if you are able to reccomend any alternatives?

Cheers
Greg
 
The Ongaku is apparently the simplest amplifier design there is. There really is no equivalent to the design from others
AN, as nice as they are, don't offer high power amplifiers for anything approaching reasonable sums of money.

Well
My friends and well-wishers here were apparently against me selling my apartment to generate funds towards buying the ONGAKU amp, even when I explained to them that there is so much silver in there that it was only a long-term investment that I was making. :):)
Also,
I, along with a friend here have tried a hand at DIY with the ONGAKU 211 design, but are unable to get rid of the HUMMM. The fidelity is quite satisfactory. Not the same ofcourse.
 
Dennis Had, founder and ex-president of Cary Audio, now hand builds SEP amplifiers. He has built single tube per channel, 15-17 wpc amps and sold them for under $2000. These use KT88, KT120, or KT150 tubes to get that rated power. He also builds parallel single ended models which produce 15-20 wpc using dual KT88 (and other tubes) per channel. I think those go in the low to mid 2K's. And 25 wpc PSE monoblocks using 4 6V6s per channel which sell for around $4K for two. So far no integrated amps.
 
Back
Top Bottom