• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Shop System Underway!

Bose discontinued all traditional speakers a few years ago in favor of bluetooth speakers and soundbars ... very little demand I would guess. It took me some time to track all these down at reasonable prices!

The 301s have some bright spots through the years depending on the series and are pretty cheap. 901s are just too big for her space ... I'm certainly open to other compact speakers which are non-direct designs.

I have a bit of warm spot for 301’s, having bought a pair new over Advemts after listening to both extensively in the audio store. I eventually exchanged them for advents after comparing them to my brother’s advents in my own bedroom. But I have fond memories of the 301s and really like the way they look.

A compact vintage speaker that is far better than the 301’s (and the Advents) in my experience is the Allison 6. The Allisons are 10 1/4” cubes with an 8” upfiring woofer and forward facing tweeter. They are designed to be placed against the wall midway or so up the wall (actual bookshelf placement).

I don’t know if the upfacing woofer qualifies as “non-direct”, but quite sure you will like them more than the 301’s (or any other small speaker from that era).
 
So far, I think little of the 301s. Maybe the caps have gone to meet their maker . . . I need to order up some replacements before giving up on them.
 
Missions back in service. 301s sidelined until new crossover components arrive. Report to follow.

I'm amazed at what these are selling for in this condition on that big auction site . . .
 
Parts express mailer showed yesterday. I just got done swapping the caps and resistors in both. IMHO, this was a pretty dramatic improvement over the stockers. Mine had a 3µF cap and a 10Ω 15W wire wound resistor in series with the tweeters. I replaced them with Dayton audio grade parts - my time being the biggest expense here.

Went from veiled to non-veiled. And that nasally problem on the vocals is almost fully eradicated. So, they're back in service for the moment. Certainly listenable now and not all that bad. However, the Missions did sound pretty excellent in their place laying on their sides with the tweeters outboard. I'd be willing to say quite a bit smoother than the 301s even now. And I could easily lower the shelves to accommodate a taller speaker there standing upright - like my Klipsch RP600Ms which are just kinda' chilling atm.

Oh I dunno . . . the 301s may be more temporary than permanent. @Bushikan is pretty spot-on with his analysis but this is the best I've yet heard them.
 
If you’re sticking with Bose, maybe 601s versus the 301s? I rehabbed a pair 40 years ago and still think they were pretty good.
 
If you’re sticking with Bose, maybe 601s versus the 301s? I rehabbed a pair 40 years ago and still think they were pretty good.
I bought a pair of 601s as trainers, ... I wanted to see how much work a re-foam is, personally felt that they were pretty low-grade.

There are at least 4 versions BTW.
 
@eiraved Them 600s going in my office I believe ... along with the C70, D150, MR75, and MC225.

Bose 601s are intriguing but having got a taste of speakers other than the 901s, likely not my cup of tea. The 901s are unique and I freakin' love 'em!

Wire wrapping really makes the speakers difficult to service ...
 
Unlike many before you (and, certainly, to follow), you have actually installed them (and the sets of 901s) correctly. Bravo! This puts you way ahead of the curve.
I do wonder how the 301s would sound if they were at least a foot from the ceiling. I took the staff out to lunch yesterday and the background music was quite pleasing without impeding on the ability to have a conversation. The sound seemed to be coming from all the places where I saw no speakers - it's a dimly lit place. Yep, Bose 301s x 3 pair, mounted high on the walls - about 18" from the ceiling. Last version it appeared ...

Just couldn't imagine any other speaker being more suited for that ...
 
I do wonder how the 301s would sound if they were at least a foot from the ceiling. I took the staff out to lunch yesterday and the background music was quite pleasing without impeding on the ability to have a conversation. The sound seemed to be coming from all the places where I saw no speakers - it's a dimly lit place. Yep, Bose 301s x 3 pair, mounted high on the walls - about 18" from the ceiling. Last version it appeared ...

Just couldn't imagine any other speaker being more suited for that ...
I found that with both 901s and 301s—whether you were sitting or standing—they sounded best at head-level.
 
Back around 1973 or so, I auditioned the Bose 601's, Large Advent and the Micro-Acoustics FRM-1 bookshelf speakers at Audio Associates in Bethesda, Maryland. The 601's were eliminated first. They sounded somewhat "lifeless" to me. The Large Advents were also a bit too laid back in their sound. The Micro-Acoustics had much more natural high frequencies and similar bass response so that's what I bought. I was 19 years old and in college at the time. The FRM-1's currently languish in my attic. I know, bad place to store them.
 
It's official. The 301s offended me every time I walked into that room, so they're sidelined. Given what they're selling for on that big auction site, that's their destiny.

So, let the hunt begin for some smaller bookshelves with relatively high efficiency and some fullness - Polk, B&W maybe . . . For now, the Missions are back in their place and they sound quite smooth.
 
Klipsch Heresy
Just don't have the space. The little Missions sitting on their sides on the shelves, tweeters outboard, really sound very nice and full. I'll keep a casual eye, but for now, I believe they'll continue to occupy that space. I can actually hear the sound from her workstation in my office when she has it cranked. Them 301s was wearing me out . . . my only regret is that I didn't look at their response on the SA-3055 before I decommissioned them.

This weekend's project - sound in my office! I went from this to nothing. I gave up all my big stuff to the shop for this place. But I do have a C70, an MC225 and several speaker choices . . .
 
It's official. The 301s offended me every time I walked into that room, so they're sidelined. Given what they're selling for on that big auction site, that's their destiny.

So, let the hunt begin for some smaller bookshelves with relatively high efficiency and some fullness - Polk, B&W maybe . . . For now, the Missions are back in their place and they sound quite smooth.
I've always thought Polk Monitor 5s and 5Jrs sounded good for their size.
 
Well, the Missions have just sounded so good on the shelves laying on their sides, my interest in improving them has waned significantly. They're an excellent match to the MA6200 - but then again, I've not found a pair of speakers yet the MA6200 didn't just own. Damn good integrated. You walk into shipping / receiving and you're just greeted with excellent sound. Amazing to me that we were unable to achieve that with the speakers mounted upright . . . but there it is.

On to the 901s . . . we have a serious problem, and I do mean serious. I'll walk out into the shop and hear something in a song that I've just never heard before. This hasn't happened once or twice, it happens nearly every time I go out there. For example, I never really thought much about the Aerosmith song Jamie's Got a Gun or the production of that song even - it just always struck me as meh. But there I am in the shop thinking - man, that bass line is just over the top, how in the hell have I not noticed that before? For the first time ever, I was like this is a killer song! And when you walk around, you truly have excellent sound in nearly any spot you may work. There are a few hot spots for the bass but that's to be expected. As the speakers reflect off of the walls behind them there are no unpleasant spots to be standing in as there would be if you were standing directly in the line of fire for a traditional loudspeaker. That can be very fatiguing. Ceiling speakers designed with off-axis response can pull that off as well. But, these 901s - you really can have it all, or most of it anyway.

Nothing makes me happier than to go out into the shop and the youngsters have some Pop 2k or something like that on and the place is just hoppin' to Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, or Taylor Swift. Not really my genre, but that's OK. Some of the songs on these channels they like to stream have tons of bass. And man do those 901s dish it up in spades. They do well with all kinds of bass as well - Katy Perry's Dark Horse has a really unique bass line and the 901s were just gettin' it done. Crazy. One day, my production manager was turnin' the youngsters onto the OG rap and hip-hop that he listened to in his Nissan hardbody BITD . . . Sir Mix-Alot, Tupac, 2 Live Crew, etc. That **** was so loud I could hear it 500ft awy in my office. I had to walk out into the shop just to hear it. I was just wide eyed and slack jawed - how in the hell can a speaker comprised purely of 4" full range driver do that? How is that even possible? The staff doesn't care, they just freakin' love it.

Folks who bag on 901s have clearly missed the genius behind them. I like them so much it's coloring my opinion of other speakers that I hold in very high esteem. Who knows, maybe I fell and bumped my head . . . I dunno.

Saturdays we typically stream The Bridge - us old folks enjoy it. ELP's From the Beginning came on . . . again, just stellar. Paul Simon, Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac - just all served up exactly like you would want to hear those songs. The icing on the cake is hearing a song you really like just come to life in this massive space and then leaning on the volume control. Watching a pair of MC2500s banging the meters to the 50wpc marks is a sight to behold. I've not yet had the inclination to play the system any louder than that as you can really feel the pressure on your ears after 5 minutes of that.

As the summer gives way to the cooler weather here, I'm anxiously awaiting the audio upgrades in the garage and outdoors. I'm actually looking for another pair of 901s for the patio as we speak. I can park them way back out of harms way, fly them overhead, and bam. I've got (2) more 2500s and (2) 2300s waiting to be called into action . . . I can't wait.
 
Well, the Missions have just sounded so good on the shelves laying on their sides, my interest in improving them has waned significantly. They're an excellent match to the MA6200 - but then again, I've not found a pair of speakers yet the MA6200 didn't just own. Damn good integrated. You walk into shipping / receiving and you're just greeted with excellent sound. Amazing to me that we were unable to achieve that with the speakers mounted upright . . . but there it is.

On to the 901s . . . we have a serious problem, and I do mean serious. I'll walk out into the shop and hear something in a song that I've just never heard before. This hasn't happened once or twice, it happens nearly every time I go out there. For example, I never really thought much about the Aerosmith song Jamie's Got a Gun or the production of that song even - it just always struck me as meh. But there I am in the shop thinking - man, that bass line is just over the top, how in the hell have I not noticed that before? For the first time ever, I was like this is a killer song! And when you walk around, you truly have excellent sound in nearly any spot you may work. There are a few hot spots for the bass but that's to be expected. As the speakers reflect off of the walls behind them there are no unpleasant spots to be standing in as there would be if you were standing directly in the line of fire for a traditional loudspeaker. That can be very fatiguing. Ceiling speakers designed with off-axis response can pull that off as well. But, these 901s - you really can have it all, or most of it anyway.

Nothing makes me happier than to go out into the shop and the youngsters have some Pop 2k or something like that on and the place is just hoppin' to Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, or Taylor Swift. Not really my genre, but that's OK. Some of the songs on these channels they like to stream have tons of bass. And man do those 901s dish it up in spades. They do well with all kinds of bass as well - Katy Perry's Dark Horse has a really unique bass line and the 901s were just gettin' it done. Crazy. One day, my production manager was turnin' the youngsters onto the OG rap and hip-hop that he listened to in his Nissan hardbody BITD . . . Sir Mix-Alot, Tupac, 2 Live Crew, etc. That **** was so loud I could hear it 500ft awy in my office. I had to walk out into the shop just to hear it. I was just wide eyed and slack jawed - how in the hell can a speaker comprised purely of 4" full range driver do that? How is that even possible? The staff doesn't care, they just freakin' love it.

Folks who bag on 901s have clearly missed the genius behind them. I like them so much it's coloring my opinion of other speakers that I hold in very high esteem. Who knows, maybe I fell and bumped my head . . . I dunno.

Saturdays we typically stream The Bridge - us old folks enjoy it. ELP's From the Beginning came on . . . again, just stellar. Paul Simon, Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac - just all served up exactly like you would want to hear those songs. The icing on the cake is hearing a song you really like just come to life in this massive space and then leaning on the volume control. Watching a pair of MC2500s banging the meters to the 50wpc marks is a sight to behold. I've not yet had the inclination to play the system any louder than that as you can really feel the pressure on your ears after 5 minutes of that.

As the summer gives way to the cooler weather here, I'm anxiously awaiting the audio upgrades in the garage and outdoors. I'm actually looking for another pair of 901s for the patio as we speak. I can park them way back out of harms way, fly them overhead, and bam. I've got (2) more 2500s and (2) 2300s waiting to be called into action . . . I can't wait.

Well what can one say, Dan, about your highly successful audio setup with the 901s in your shop`s open area`s layout, other than a Happy work force crew is a productive crew.

Take care, Sir. and keep us updated as you continue to finish dialing in your business` audio setup.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom