• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Telefunken Power Tubes

MX117.MC7150

Listener
Subscriber
Anyone tried any of the new Telefunken Black Diamond power tubes? See both KT88 & EL34, but there may be others. Any idea who is making them?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
They are supposedly hand picked, tested, blah, blah, blah from JJ. I thought that if Telefunken (USA) had the balls to put the revered Telefunken name on them JJ might have their act together. I've been asking around also but haven't found too many opinions yet. I think the name JJ scares everyone away. I also don't think they're priced too bad either considering all of the "testing" done. I used to use lots of JJ tubes but then it all went downhill at one point a few years ago.

Craig
 
I believe they come out of the JJ factory. Basically premium JJ tubes apparently. If they are in fact a superior product, it would be nice. Never used a JJ anything myself, the reputation steered me towards the Russian stuff.
 
Unfortunate. Was hoping for a replacement for Winged 'C', as am running out of them and not happy with the current pricing for what's left. Ah, well.......... the GL & Tung Sol tubes from Russia are pretty decent and plenty of NOS small signal tubes still available.
 
Rebranded JJ with lush advert copy, priced at a premium - is pretty much the consensus but still wouldn't mind hearing from someone who's actually tried them...

As far as JJ in general, I'm not quite certain why so many are down on them. A/C installed a set of 7591 in a MAC that I recently had them tweak and the unit performs to spec with the JJs in.

In any case, I don't think they perform any worse than the EH 7591. VMMV.

Can't speak for KT88 and EL34.
 
Rebranded JJ with lush advert copy, priced at a premium - is pretty much the consensus but still wouldn't mind hearing from someone who's actually tried them...

As far as JJ in general, I'm not quite certain why so many are down on them. A/C installed a set of 7591 in a MAC that I recently had them tweak and the unit performs to spec with the JJs in.

In any case, I don't think they perform any worse than the EH 7591. VMMV.

Can't speak for KT88 and EL34.
I use 4 JJ-6550 and they have been stable for more then 1000h now.
 
a lot of people have experienced reliability issues with them. Possibly its fixed and now we're dwelling on old history though. Here are some test results of various 7591 types. THe JJ's did the worst of the batch, while old stock did the best.

http://www.tronola.com/html/7591a_tubes.html

not sure if this holds for other types, but its the only specific test data I've seen on new production tube performance vs old production. Not just hype and subjective tests, but actual measured performance tests.
 
Many of the problems reported on this forum about JJ's is more to do with who they are bought from the that they are JJ's. All tubes need quality burn in and testing to weed out the rejects..... no the standard factory burn in and testing is not enough. If you buy from small time eBay sellers using factory burn in and testing you are bound to have problems regardless of the brand....in most cases in life you get what you pay for...
 
a lot of people have experienced reliability issues with them. Possibly its fixed and now we're dwelling on old history though. Here are some test results of various 7591 types. THe JJ's did the worst of the batch, while old stock did the best.

http://www.tronola.com/html/7591a_tubes.html

not sure if this holds for other types, but its the only specific test data I've seen on new production tube performance vs old production. Not just hype and subjective tests, but actual measured performance tests.


Yup testing of a couple of used questionable JJ tubes....from what supplier?
 
well read it and you'll know what I posted above ;) Kind of a loaded deck test if you ask me. Besides the max power output and slight difference in distortion even if it was the norm for JJ's is meaningless to the normal Joe listening to his stereo. If your listening to a tube rig at full power you better get a more powerful amplifier...or more efficient speakers. Tube amplifier make the best sound at the bottom half of the available power so staying within that window is always going to net you the best experience.
 
They will sound like JJ's with different printing on the glass...just like the reissues Mullards, Tungsols, Genelax ect. for the most part all sound and look like some other Russian made tube that is less expensive... the same can be said for the premium named tubes coming out of the Shuguang factory in China... seems to be the going scam to get folks to part with a few extra bucks.
 
Last edited:
Those folks at New Sensor................ pure evil. ;) But, do like the sound of their Tung Sol type III 6550s in my SLI-80.

All kidding aside, I'll likely pick up a set of the reissue Telefunken EL34s at some point. Seems to be about the least expensive option to try.
 
Tung Sol type III 6550....never heard it called that before. That actually one of the few they made from the ground up to look like the original 3 hole 6550. It does sound good but longevity is darn right dismal in amps that run up around 500V on the plates...heck even 450V gives them a tough time. It sure ain't no original Tung-Sol 6550 of any variant those babies could take a beating!

There is at least 3 original variants of the Tung-Sol 6550 so maybe you should rename yours..heck there might even be 4...
 
I always want to try those Shuguang Black Treasure tubes, but never wanted to part with that much money for 4 tubes.

I have been using Penta KT88's for a while now with good luck.
 
Been running the reissue Tung Sol 6550 Type 3 for years in McIntosh MC75 & MC275 amps and Cary SLI-80 and have not had a failure. To my ears, they offer a great mid-range, the best of the 6550 & KT88 tubes I've tried in these amps, along with the Winged 'C'. But, am approaching 2000hr on this particular set of 6550s and was thinking of rolling something else in for a while. These days I've been purchasing from Jim McShane (when he has what I am looking for) or Upscale Audio to take advantage of having tubes that are tested beyond the cursory look done at the factory. Have ask Upscale what they think concerning the new Telefunken BDs, but have not heard back. Interesting how many of the resellers think highly of the reissue Tung Sol 6550 Type 3 and disagree with NOS Valves. Perhaps his bad experience was the result of using them in an amp that he rebuilt?
 
Back
Top Bottom