• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New Telefunken Power Tubes

MX117.MC7150,
What do the KT88's do that the 6550's won't or vice versa? I have the Mc275 as well. I never used the 6550's. I have about 1400 hours on my Penta KT88's at this point.
 
I always want to try those Shuguang Black Treasure tubes, but never wanted to part with that much money for 4 tubes.

I have been using Penta KT88's for a while now with good luck.

Ive using a quad of KT-88 Black Treasures for a while. Absolutely love em. Im no techie, actually quite the opposite. Im a self professed 'technoidiot' but I love the sound of these. Excellent bottom end, nice mid range and not in your face, clean crisp highs. These replaces the Shuguang KT-88's that came with my amp. Ill be putting the "Treasures" back in soon, I think. I swapped out the BT KT-88s about a year ago and put all EH CRYO'd tubes in my amp including the KT-88's but wont get into that as that's not really what this thread is about.
 
MX117.MC7150,
What do the KT88's do that the 6550's won't or vice versa? I have the Mc275 as well. I never used the 6550's. I have about 1400 hours on my Penta KT88's at this point.
My original impetus was to have a back-up set of tubes for an MC275MkV. The amp came with what were reported to be Winged 'C' tubes rebranded with the McIntosh logo, etc., and they were fine. As I was looking for a back-up set and the Tung Sol 6550s were inexpensive by comparison, ordered a matched quad. As always with new tubes, rolled them in to get 40-50hr of run-time to insure nothing was wrong before putting away. By the end of that time, was very pleased with the mid-range (my listening is primarily vocals & acoustic music) compared to the stock KT88s and have stuck with them since, in a pair of 60th Anniversary MC75s and the current Cary SLI-80. Will be rolling in a set of new GL KT88s this afternoon (according to the tracking info), so will have a direct comparison with another highly regarded tube next week and will post some additional thoughts then. Have compared the Tung Sol reissues with Winged 'C' 6550s, KT88s & EL34s as well as the GL KT88s (briefly, as sold the amp that same week) and have always gone back to the Tung Sol 6550s for long-term listening. To my ears in my amps they provide the most pleasing sound with vocals and acoustic music at what I consider reasonable listening levels (rarely turn up the volume knob past ~80db, or so).
 
MX117.MC7150,
What do the KT88's do that the 6550's won't or vice versa? I have the Mc275 as well. I never used the 6550's. I have about 1400 hours on my Penta KT88's at this point.
kt88 can take a little higher g2, apart from that they are interchangeable.
 
Been running the reissue Tung Sol 6550 Type 3 for years in McIntosh MC75 & MC275 amps and Cary SLI-80 and have not had a failure. To my ears, they offer a great mid-range, the best of the 6550 & KT88 tubes I've tried in these amps, along with the Winged 'C'. But, am approaching 2000hr on this particular set of 6550s and was thinking of rolling something else in for a while. These days I've been purchasing from Jim McShane (when he has what I am looking for) or Upscale Audio to take advantage of having tubes that are tested beyond the cursory look done at the factory. Have ask Upscale what they think concerning the new Telefunken BDs, but have not heard back. Interesting how many of the resellers think highly of the reissue Tung Sol 6550 Type 3 and disagree with NOS Valves. Perhaps his bad experience was the result of using them in an amp that he rebuilt?


The Mac's are very, very easy on tubes...The Cary SLI-80 I'm not sure about but being a more modern amp is was most likely designed with the limitation of the quality of modern tubes in mind. The situations I'm referring to are in Dynaco Mark III, Citation II, Scott LK-150, Heathkit W6M and other amps that run the tubes near there max idle plate dissipation ratings...the vintage Tung-Sols would just laugh at those amps, the modern ones burn up in short order. Buying from the sources you mention surely isn't going to hurt your results they are both known for weeding out the culls especially Upscale Audio. But like anything in life nothing good comes cheap.
 
Folks I'm conversing with Telefunken directly on dealer costs and if enough interest exists I could put together a group purchase at 20 to 35% off list prices depending on qualities. I'm sure this is not the place to discuss this though.

Moderators is there a section of AK that a group buy can be talked about?
 
Am seeing the Telefunken KT88s at $70/ea & the EL34s at $33/ea. About $10 more than many 'known good' tubes out there.
 
The Mac's are very, very easy on tubes...The Cary SLI-80 I'm not sure about but being a more modern amp is was most likely designed with the limitation of the quality of modern tubes in mind. The situations I'm referring to are in Dynaco Mark III, Citation II, Scott LK-150, Heathkit W6M and other amps that run the tubes near there max idle plate dissipation ratings...the vintage Tung-Sols would just laugh at those amps, the modern ones burn up in short order. Buying from the sources you mention surely isn't going to hurt your results they are both known for weeding out the culls especially Upscale Audio. But like anything in life nothing good comes cheap.
It seems to me that the KT-120s would be a smart replacement inside of all of the vintage gear which uses 6550s, except for the Macs, since they have so much higher ratings, and supposedly sound great to boot.
 
Have about 50hr on a new quad of Russian GL KT88s in the SLI-80 and they are easily the best sounding power tube I've heard in this amp. Now I understand why they are so popular.
 
Have about 50hr on a new quad of Russian GL KT88s in the SLI-80 and they are easily the best sounding power tube I've heard in this amp. Now I understand why they are so popular.

How does this relate to "new Telefunken tubes" ?
 
How does this relate to "new Telefunken tubes" ?
Was going to say it is my thread and I'll post what I want, but will not do so as that might be mistaken for being rude. So I'll say that now that I've heard the GL KT88s I've no reason to continue to wonder about the new Tels at a higher price. Unless, of course, some sort of 'group buy' nets me a set for an attractive price. Kabeesh?
 
Don't see anyone on the thread posting personal experience with these new branded by JJ tubes. I order a matched pair of EL84's to try as driver tubes in my Cary. Just for trial I ordered a matched pair of JJ tubes as well. want to see if it is just the paint job on the outside of the tube, or can I see and hear any differences between the tubes.
 
Don't see anyone on the thread posting personal experience with these new branded by JJ tubes. I order a matched pair of EL84's to try as driver tubes in my Cary. Just for trial I ordered a matched pair of JJ tubes as well. want to see if it is just the paint job on the outside of the tube, or can I see and hear any differences between the tubes.
A personal review would be nice, once they're burnt in.

Thanks!
 
MX117.MC7150,
What do the KT88's do that the 6550's won't or vice versa? I have the Mc275 as well. I never used the 6550's. I have about 1400 hours on my Penta KT88's at this point.
vacuum tube valley has a great write up on "the big power tubes" issue # 19. KT-88, Tung-Sol 6550 ect i tried to post it it says file to large to post..these are the REAL Tung -Sol 6550 they plate with gold first then carbonize that is why the old Tung-Sol are so loved over...you might find it still if you google "the Power Kings" by vacuum Tube Valley issue # 19 its a great read..mind you im talking 1950- 1969.
As far as EH I purchased a quad of KT-88 they sounded hollow. I only tried them for say 30 minutes, then I placed in 3225904 Tung-SOL 6550 there was all the imagine, sweet sound, everything I've been looking for..from big bass to smooth mids to great high end freq, due to the cost of them I bet I have only 80 hrs playing out of them.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom