• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nice Marantz Score! (LOTS of pics)

Crazy good luck on your part. Congratulations! I am surprised that the pre was not a 7c.

Judging by the serial number plates, some of those are later 60's units.... One of the 9s and the 7t is a later one. So the 7c would have been out of production and replaced by the 7t by then. Maybe 68 or 69....hence the reason Raquel came to mind.... :) ......early 60's would have been a different babe.....

But that is what I was thinking at first too....


jk
 
Last edited:
To answer some of the speculation that I'm messin' around with you guys...

I'm not that kind of guy. This is a real find, it really happened. I didn't steal them from anyone. Obviously, had I known what I was taking before I actually took it, this would be an entirely different story. If anyone wants further proof, I'll go ahead and take a picture of myself with the items.

I really appreciate all the advice that's coming in. I'm getting more and more nervous about leaving my apartment every morning with that stuff sitting in there!

What's the safest way to transport this? I don't have the original packaging or anything. I have lots of experience shipping heavy, expensive tube amps, but nothing like this.
 
Take your time..... Search this site for packing gear correctly....

You have to take a step back and realize that the gear is worth taking your time to pack it correctly....

I hate packing things...but I do a good job when I slow down and think about the value....

If your going to pack them up.... Pm me..and lets talk.

My wife will hate me when I bring Raquel in the house....


johnk
 
No need for original boxes to ship safely. But like jstang said, please do ship carefully. There are only so many of these left in good condition.

And, teleking, you sir can consider yourself the luckiest sob here.
 
teleking36?? transport for what? for repairs??

if you decide to sell, keep them as they are and don't let anyone inside them...


ANY transport of these items is with kid gloves and each piece double-triple-quadruple wrapped in thick soft cotton cloths/blankets/whatever... then boxed individually in at least dual-walled cardboard boxes, triple walled if you can find them, then hand carried to the front seat of your car.

NO SHIPPING ALLOWED :)
 
Yeah I meant for transport. I will not ship these anywhere at this point!

I need to get them appraised, so I'm going to have to drive them somewhere. I'm now at the point where I don't want anyone near them, but it's necessary in order to get them appraised and insured. The missing screw on the 10B has me a bit worried as well. I wonder why that's the only screw missing?

Are there any items I should consider purchasing to increase the value? I'm thinking the wooden enclosures and/or manuals would help if they were period correct.
 
since you asked :)

since I have an Original Marantz Model 9 Service Manual, I see it's only fitting for you to drive em over to my place an let me verify their authenticity :D
 
Talk of boxing these up makes me nervous... they are valuable enough to be worth TRULY professional packing, including a proper sequence of shock-absorption materials inside of custom-made wooden crates. I wouldn't trust those in cardboard, period. I MIGHT pack them very well into professional aluminum gear crates, like roadies use with pro gear on the road, but I'd probably add further protection, even then. I'd use "extreme overkill" in the packing of these (unlike most other gear, which just needs "overkill") and I'd buy AMPLE insurance. Of course, the tubes would have to be removed and packed separately; vibration can make tubes become microphonic.


The safest way to ship these is to box them up well, and sit them on your lap in a chauffered and police-escorted Humvee, with their own seatbelt as well. :D

EDIT: NOW I see what you have in mind; local transport. Okay...
As for accessories, anything ORIGINAL that you can add to these, would tend to increase their resale value. That includes owner's manual, service manual, original brochures or ads, original packaging, etc... Whether you get your money back on such purchases depends on how much you pay for them, but usually assembling all the stuff together is worth the investment.

You've made all of us dream a little more, and given us all the hope that one day, we, too, might get so lucky. Thanks for the reminder that "Miracles do happen!"
 
Last edited:
Your worries that you only have an apartment,nothing appropriate for this "pro gear" are really unfounded.This was just great consumer gear.As for too much power,these amps are 70 watts per channel.These will sound great loud with very efficient speakers(Klipsch Cornwalls,K-Horns,Altecs,etc.),or will sound wonderful at lower volumes with less efficient speakers.A nice little pair of PSBs,or Ushers or Totems,or Paradigms,etc. will sound incredible in your apartment.Just like the aforementioned Mustang.Cool and fun to drive 35 on a city street,and awesome to drive 100mph on a track.Great is always great.IMHO.
Jimmy
 
I always used to read about "pawnshop finds" and "estate sale" gems on guitar forums. Just recently, a fellow forumite on The Gear Page salvaged an original untouched MINT condition 1958 Fender Deluxe with the original Victoria slipcover, tubes, speaker, from a local dump. It was dropped off to be THROWN OUT!!! It is absolutely the most mint Fender tweed I have ever seen. It looks like a reissue that just rolled off the workbench. I've seen many guys practically steal vintage amps and guitars because they were there at the right time.

I always wondered if I would be so lucky to have the same thing happen to me. I just never imagined that it would happen on such a large scale, and in this way!
 
I always used to read about "pawnshop finds" and "estate sale" gems on guitar forums. Just recently, a fellow forumite on The Gear Page salvaged an original untouched MINT condition 1958 Fender Deluxe with the original Victoria slipcover, tubes, speaker, from a local dump. It was dropped off to be THROWN OUT!!! It is absolutely the most mint Fender tweed I have ever seen. It looks like a reissue that just rolled off the workbench. I've seen many guys practically steal vintage amps and guitars because they were there at the right time.

I always wondered if I would be so lucky to have the same thing happen to me. I just never imagined that it would happen on such a large scale, and in this way!


Well you did hit the jackpot on this one. These are going to do nothing but go up in value so unless you are desperate I would just hang on to them and enjoy them for what they are. If you absolutely have no interest in owning a legendary stereo system then if you do sell them you should buy yourself something of the same caliber musical instrument wise. I still cannot fathom why these would be left behind in the house.
 
I always used to read about "pawnshop finds" and "estate sale" gems on guitar forums. Just recently, a fellow forumite on The Gear Page salvaged an original untouched MINT condition 1958 Fender Deluxe with the original Victoria slipcover, tubes, speaker, from a local dump. It was dropped off to be THROWN OUT!!! It is absolutely the most mint Fender tweed I have ever seen. It looks like a reissue that just rolled off the workbench. I've seen many guys practically steal vintage amps and guitars because they were there at the right time.

I always wondered if I would be so lucky to have the same thing happen to me. I just never imagined that it would happen on such a large scale, and in this way!

Both of these are great stories! I am happy for your good fortune. I can't help but read between the lines a little here. I hope that you are having some fun with all of this! I believe that you are doing a very wise thing by having these appraised. Good luck with all of this and as valuable and treasured and as revered as this equipment is, I believe that it is intended to augment appreciation for music and creativity. I love electronics, too, and I would probably react the same way that you have. Eventually, though, I would hope that I would remember why I love this equipment - it is really for the enjoyment of the hobby and the music - not the value of the equipment.

Best wishes!
 
Again about the boxing, these do warrant EXPENSIVE packaging (aluminum roadie gear in custom foam may do the trick for storage and transport from the house to the car and such).

DO get them appraised!

DO get them insured!

Let the help here be your guide, and don't do any deals withough clearing them here first. We won't let you get ripped off or make a irreversable decision.

It's too bad something this great can be such a source of stress, so box them, appraise them, and insure them, and you at least won't have to worry about financial loss while you're deciding what to do.

If they were left behind I wonder if they work? They'd still be uber-valuable. I honestly couldn't justify keeping them. I have too much debt to pay off, to much work to do to the house, college funds to fund, etc. I thought the 9s were worth $25K a pop? Is that a different Marantz tube amp?
 
Pack them up, put them in the closet....put some old cloths on them and forgot you have them for few years till you move to your own place....

Or if I was 25 years old.....and found them.... I would get them tested....set them up...and start looking for Raquel's daughter...... Dude you are half way there....

With your luck Raquel's daughter lives in the same building as you..... :)


johnk
 
First off, congratulations on the great find. That's the best score I've ever heard of, and I've heard some good ones.

I found myself in a similar situation with a guitar I bought. I bought is when I was young and without funds. At the time, it was more or less a 'used' instrument. I paid real money for it, but I wasn't too worried about protecting it. In the intervening years, it grew in value while my income didn't grow much at all. I didn't have $$$ to insure it and I did want to keep it. I stored it at my parents house, where it could be covered under their insurance. It sat there safely until I could afford insurance of my own.

I was really glad I didn't get rid of it even though I thought about doing so. Now, I enjoy playing it and I always have it to sell in the event of a real emergency.

One good thing about your particular find: the average joe on the street wouldn't know what these were or if they are valuable. Keep a low profile (don't play them too loud) and you should be fine.

If you do sell them, wait until the market improves. Make sure to have them evaluated and restored properly. It might be the most expensive thing you ever do, but save up for it, because the payoff will be worth it. Five years from now, your understanding and perspective on these will have changed. You stand a greater chance of selling these for full market value at that time than you would now with your relative lack of experience with these.
 
I've gotta say, you've all been very helpful in putting my mind at ease. I'm going to spend a lot of time figuring out a long term approach to this whole scenario. I've learned more on this forum in the last 18 hours than I probably would have just talking to one person about it. It's been great to get feedback from different perspectives. You AK guys should be proud!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom