• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

OBD 2 Scan tool ?

Infantry Man

Active Member
Hi . I was wondering what some of you are using for a scan tool ...either self contained or bluetooth/wifi ?

I don't want to spend big bucks for a ' pro ' version .


thanks , JT
 
Register to hide this ad
I have an older Actron (cp9170 or something like that, a big sturdy one which number isn't even on their site anymore and it also can not be updated anymore) and two years ago I paid 100 Euros for a Volkwagen compatible device. It is supposed to access many devices but that was rather a disappointment as more than half of the devices were not recognized....Probably most of the devices could not be accessed at all in that 2007 car...

I know some guys one has or had a (Chinese) bluetooth one and one has some elcheapo Chinese scanner connecting to his laptop USB and afaik they both were happy with those scanners.

So agree, do not spend too much on it, if it is for your own car only.
 
Last edited:
I have a cheap bluetooth one that talks to my phone. Forget the app I was using, but it was some freeware thing. It would get codes and basic sensor data but thats it. It was under $30.
 
I needed the new 2018 can OBD update so I got an actron for about $300 or so that serves me well. being mostly closed down I am no longer interested in updating the auterra.

I still do have an older actron CP9110? that takes the 'atari' cartridges because it speaks the language of my suburban (1990) and E350 camper (1993)
 
I have an Actron something or another. Seldom use it, I think I've loaned it out far more than used it myself. It's been convenient to have on rare occasion but not sure it was a wise purchase in the big picture.
 
I have a cheap Kobra brand WiFi scanner that I use with the Carista iPhone app. It has worked great.

I would guess (and it literally is a guess because I've never owned a standalone unit) that a WiFi unit has the advantage that it will work with multiple diagnostic apps and those apps probably get updated more often when there are changes. If one app doesn't provide the function you need, another app might. I don't know if the standalone units get updated, and it would seemed to depend on each brand how often they get updated.

I think for the Carista app, it was free to see codes and to reset them, but you would have to pay for the ability to tweak customizable settings (for example, I used it to enable a tachometer sweep when you turn on the ignition).

Better to get advice from somebody who has used both types -- but if you just need to read or reset codes, the $12-ish Kobra and a free app seem to work well.
 
Interesting thread. I've only used whatever was the latest top of the line Snap On and no experience with non pro offerings. After retiring I spent maybe ten years doing nothing but looking at the scan tool diagnosing vehicle management systems. I say vehicle because more and more everything was ECM controlled including power windows, individual light bulb/LEDs, etc. and having a full function scan tool was necessary for many things, saved a great amount of time with others. I'd like to know what non pro scanners do and how much they cost... I can imagine the difference between pro and consumer might shrink along with the price for anything less than cutting edge new... the way of video and audio recording and play.
 
well back in the day, the 'pro' versions were just huge cash cows with poor return on the dollar. OBD2 in istelf was not some mystery in fact the standardization made it EASIER. The Modis et al versions used a windows CE-ish OS in a industrial case to do what any win-xp laptop could do with decent knowledge of C++ and a borland compiler. I had unlocked the completely random looking secret of GMs C3 and filed 2 patents for the "OBD1 scanner to end all scanners". then I abandoned it as everyone stopped caring about 80-95 vehicles and any left today are swaps ANYWAYS. In other words, OBD1 was HARDER to do. but then memory got real cheap and you could stick in 20000 permutations of ECM organization in a grain of rice, the hardest part remaining the physical characteristics of the scan tool you had to alter to change mode (gm actually had you change impedance which is hard to do with software unless you built a special chip.)

my current actron is hardened but I would not want that in a working shop with neanderthals clunking on it, but at the same time its processor and memory outperform EVERY scan tool made before 2010. its funny what the future can bring you - if you care. we could rather easily - being the future and all that - put the entire IBM/FORD SBDS on as an android phone app with a cable that plugs into the USB port but the overriding factor is: no one cares. most if not all techs in a ford dealership would not know an EECIV processor if you bounced it off their head so the return on investment is not there for anyone to do R&D
 
well back in the day, the 'pro' versions were just huge cash cows with poor return on the dollar. OBD2 in istelf was not some mystery in fact the standardization made it EASIER. The Modis et al versions used a windows CE-ish OS in a industrial case to do what any win-xp laptop could do with decent knowledge of C++ and a borland compiler. I had unlocked the completely random looking secret of GMs C3 and filed 2 patents for the "OBD1 scanner to end all scanners". then I abandoned it as everyone stopped caring about 80-95 vehicles and any left today are swaps ANYWAYS. In other words, OBD1 was HARDER to do. but then memory got real cheap and you could stick in 20000 permutations of ECM organization in a grain of rice, the hardest part remaining the physical characteristics of the scan tool you had to alter to change mode (gm actually had you change impedance which is hard to do with software unless you built a special chip.)

my current actron is hardened but I would not want that in a working shop with neanderthals clunking on it, but at the same time its processor and memory outperform EVERY scan tool made before 2010. its funny what the future can bring you - if you care. we could rather easily - being the future and all that - put the entire IBM/FORD SBDS on as an android phone app with a cable that plugs into the USB port but the overriding factor is: no one cares. most if not all techs in a ford dealership would not know an EECIV processor if you bounced it off their head so the return on investment is not there for anyone to do R&D

:rflmao:
 
I have a cheap Kobra brand WiFi scanner that I use with the Carista iPhone app. It has worked great.

I would guess (and it literally is a guess because I've never owned a standalone unit) that a WiFi unit has the advantage that it will work with multiple diagnostic apps and those apps probably get updated more often when there are changes. If one app doesn't provide the function you need, another app might. I don't know if the standalone units get updated, and it would seemed to depend on each brand how often they get updated.

I think for the Carista app, it was free to see codes and to reset them, but you would have to pay for the ability to tweak customizable settings (for example, I used it to enable a tachometer sweep when you turn on the ignition).

Better to get advice from somebody who has used both types -- but if you just need to read or reset codes, the $12-ish Kobra and a free app seem to work well.
I have seen that ' kobra' one marketed under several different names .
 
I have an older one I got years (? More than 5, maybe 10) ago.
It stopped talking to my cars ( or current cars too modern for it).
I got a blue driver. Its done everything I've asked so far, but haven't asked much.
Nice it actually tells you problem not code # you have to look up.
 

thats the electronic carb stuff they were running in the mid-late 80s?

The way I really tend to work on my moody EEC-IV car is via the laptop. It has a Quarterhorse in there to meddle with the tune, and it can give me live data. The ECM is old enough that it doesn't have that available on the self-test port. The other one I use the tester that can give trouble codes. Can't do anything else with it, and honestly it does nothing that I can't do with a paperclip and a piece of paper to count blinks with.
 
Hi . I was wondering what some of you are using for a scan tool ...either self contained or bluetooth/wifi ?
For generic codes, get one of the cheap ELM327 units from Amazon and download a phone app. These will cover most of the common/generic OBD-II codes out there. $25-ish? I had one go bad on me, but I exchanged it and the replacement has worked fine. There are many out there. Bluetooth.

If you need vehicle-specific codes and coverage for SRS (airbag/seat belt) and ABS (anti-lock braking system and traction control) codes, the Bluedriver is what you'd want. $99, Bluetooth. Sometimes mine is a little slow to read the entire set of codes, but it is very thorough and provides me with a printable page of the results if I want it. This one is my keeper.

Autel makes a great line of scanners, but you have to purchase them carefully since they each have different capabilities. Their top scanners are into the four digits (which includes extensive diagnostics and possibly two-way communication so you can monitor and test individual circuits and sensors--basically something a repair shop would own), but they have a whole line even down to inexpensive scanners that, again, will read your common/generic OBD-II codes.

I have an Autel reader/programmer for the radio-based TPMS sensors. Very specialized tool but again, it does come in handy.
 
thats the electronic carb stuff they were running in the mid-late 80s?

The way I really tend to work on my moody EEC-IV car is via the laptop. It has a Quarterhorse in there to meddle with the tune, and it can give me live data. The ECM is old enough that it doesn't have that available on the self-test port. The other one I use the tester that can give trouble codes. Can't do anything else with it, and honestly it does nothing that I can't do with a paperclip and a piece of paper to count blinks with.
yep, tickin carbs and TBI (not CFI which looked somewhat similar)

you would be surprised what is inside the EECIV from 86-on if you send it secret codes (SBDS) all live data and believe it or not - far greater control and resolution over the gm of the day, even OBD1.5 used in the turbos and 24vdohc 6's back in the day I used to extoll the EECIV system - it was so advanced for what was required. you can get the software for nothing on ebay, BUT, its written to be read by OS2 on an MCA machine...who has one of THOSE still lurking
 
For generic codes, get one of the cheap ELM327 units from Amazon and download a phone app. These will cover most of the common/generic OBD-II codes out there. $25-ish? I had one go bad on me, but I exchanged it and the replacement has worked fine. There are many out there. Bluetooth.

If you need vehicle-specific codes and coverage for SRS (airbag/seat belt) and ABS (anti-lock braking system and traction control) codes, the Bluedriver is what you'd want. $99, Bluetooth. Sometimes mine is a little slow to read the entire set of codes, but it is very thorough and provides me with a printable page of the results if I want it. This one is my keeper.

Autel makes a great line of scanners, but you have to purchase them carefully since they each have different capabilities. Their top scanners are into the four digits (which includes extensive diagnostics and possibly two-way communication so you can monitor and test individual circuits and sensors--basically something a repair shop would own), but they have a whole line even down to inexpensive scanners that, again, will read your common/generic OBD-II codes.

I have an Autel reader/programmer for the radio-based TPMS sensors. Very specialized tool but again, it does come in handy.
check these guys out: http://www.auterraweb.com/

I (keyword:) had been using these including the original on a palm M105!
 
well back in the day, the 'pro' versions were just huge cash cows with poor return on the dollar. OBD2 in istelf was not some mystery in fact the standardization made it EASIER. The Modis et al versions used a windows CE-ish OS in a industrial case to do what any win-xp laptop could do with decent knowledge of C++ and a borland compiler. I had unlocked the completely random looking secret of GMs C3 and filed 2 patents for the "OBD1 scanner to end all scanners". then I abandoned it as everyone stopped caring about 80-95 vehicles and any left today are swaps ANYWAYS. In other words, OBD1 was HARDER to do. but then memory got real cheap and you could stick in 20000 permutations of ECM organization in a grain of rice, the hardest part remaining the physical characteristics of the scan tool you had to alter to change mode (gm actually had you change impedance which is hard to do with software unless you built a special chip.)

my current actron is hardened but I would not want that in a working shop with neanderthals clunking on it, but at the same time its processor and memory outperform EVERY scan tool made before 2010. its funny what the future can bring you - if you care. we could rather easily - being the future and all that - put the entire IBM/FORD SBDS on as an android phone app with a cable that plugs into the USB port but the overriding factor is: no one cares. most if not all techs in a ford dealership would not know an EECIV processor if you bounced it off their head so the return on investment is not there for anyone to do R&D
OBD I stuff hardly needed a scan tool, just the schematic... yes, it could save time but the platform was basically limited in what was available at the service port. OBD II was a considerable change and... more and more... required a competent scan tool that could control the various inputs and outputs of the various ECMs of the vehicle as well as display information from many sensors and ECM outputs at the same time, many things interactive, not straight forward with easily identified faults. At a shop there are practical considerations that require system knowledge having little or nothing to do with the internal workings of the scan tool beyond functionality... and yes, a cash cow, and one has to do the updates... standardization, real standardization is a carrot on a stick... yes, it can be done but one will never see it... everything is for profit, at best all we can hope for anywhere is competence. Dealerships have the advantage of factory available information beyond service bulletins for those who know how to access and use it and... this is important, the ability to swap parts till a fix, often charging the customer for everything with an explanation difficult to challenge. Another thing about professional scan tools is the ability to force an onboard OBD II functional test often obviating the need for a time consuming drive cycle.... ensuring the code does not return illuminating the check engine light This was California with comprehensive smog testing... no cheating, vehicle linked right to the state computer.. computer to computer for OBD II 1998 and up.
 
check these guys out: http://www.auterraweb.com/

I (keyword:) had been using these including the original on a palm M105!
And technically, the cheapest "scan tool" is a bent paperclip and the ability to read a blinking light on the dash. :D I know on one of my cars, I can start the diagnostic for OBD-II and SRS codes using a paperclip in the correct connectors in an OBD-II port, and the appropriate lights on the dash will blink. The same can be done with transmission codes. Depending on vehicle manufacturer, of course.
 
My ol' Chrysler will flash whatever codes it has stored for you in the mileage readout in the speedo.
My most favorite is: 'You....Are....Screwed!' :rflmao:
 
Back
Top Bottom