• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

Enricosonic, I very much like the finish of your top plate. Has a vintage broadcast equipment look to it. I also have a MarcMorin replacement Technics arm tube on mine. I no longer have my original dust cover for mine either. I have a Pro-Ject cover I picked up local for $10.
AND, I ALSO have a TD145 mkII hooked up. Mine has the original aluminum base, though.

Eerily similar. I still have my aluminum-covered Thorens base.

My childhood was me being obsessed with fully-automatic, aging Dual and later Garrard decks that needed work my parents hadn’t done. (Frankly I had worn them out.)

Anyway I grew to appreciate simplicity.
 
sJwolvc.jpeg

nmx7ogV.jpeg


I caved in and repainted the top plate. I just never really took to the overly-hammered silver finish. I think this hue compliments the walnut a bit better too.
 
Does anyone know if the new Thorens TP 92 tonearm is neutral balance like the AR XA?
It looks like it to me. The pivot looks like it is below the arm tube and the dropped counter balance weight.
I emailed Thorens and asked but got no reply.
 
Does anyone know if the new Thorens TP 92 tonearm is neutral balance like the AR XA?
It looks like it to me. The pivot looks like it is below the arm tube and the dropped counter balance weight.
I emailed Thorens and asked but got no reply.
"The horizontal bearing is a high-precision Japanese ball bearing that uses a specially developed oil. It is located underneath the tonearm tube at the same level as the stylus for enhanced stability. The counterweight, decoupled by two rubber rings, is also exactly level with the stylus."

Thats from the web site, exactly how the AR arm is .

Looks like it could be an almost exact copy engineering wise.
 
"The horizontal bearing is a high-precision Japanese ball bearing that uses a specially developed oil. It is located underneath the tonearm tube at the same level as the stylus for enhanced stability. The counterweight, decoupled by two rubber rings, is also exactly level with the stylus."

Thats from the web site, exactly how the AR arm is .

Looks like it could be an almost exact copy engineering wise.
Right, but Thorens doesn't mention much about the position of the vertical bearing. Which I believe is what makes an arm neutral balance or not, right? That along with the dropped counter weight.

Additionally are you, Nashou66, the AK memer that makes heavier cw for XA tonearms?
 
Last edited:
5WOY4Hc.jpeg


I forgot to credit Larry Spence, he built the walnut base and did some final work when the late great Marc Morin wasn't up to these relatively trivial matters.
 
Larry is one of the best...just waiting for some else to fill the space he left behind when he fully retired last year...

Dave
I'm sure you know him better than I, and he deserves to hang it up.

Whenever someone is highly skilled at something and has the tools, equipment, experience + time? I wouldn't close the book on him.
 
vDNpFvb.jpeg


8IBCEdr.jpeg


When I bought my XA it had all kinds of crap glued on and bolted through the top plate. Not one, but two Dust Bug bases and a bubble level. Why the latter needed gluing I don't know.

The only thing I kept was this cueing device I posted on the previous page, the Colton Varilift. Works great but kind of spoils the simple understated aesthetic of the XA. It may go back in the parts drawer for when I'm older and my hand is shakier.
 
Last edited:
Hello
I have been working with Stanley Engineering to manufacture a wooden headshell with the same dimensions as the original acrylic AR XA headshell but with an SME connector.
I have included some photos of the first prototype. Stan said that it could also be made with a metal finger lift which I think I will opt for. I do not have the prototype in hand yet.
I aim to achieve a similar look to the original AR XA tonearm but with an SME arm tube swap, which I had done by an AK forum member.

Would any other forum members be interested in acquiring a headshell like this? I'm not going to be selling these or making any money here. I'd like to see if we can make it worth Stanley Eginering's time to produce them. If so, some could provide input on how it should be made. I'm no expert and just measured the original and provided Stan with my measurements.
I asked for the first made from Walnut to match the plinth, but a different wood would be better.

Finally, one can find Stanley Eginerigng's store on "the bay" and get an idea of what these will likely cost. Not cheap, but I'm a sucker for aesthetics.
1737396071595.png

PS I'm new to forums, and if this is not the appropriate thread to post content like this in, please let me know, and I will happily move to wherever is best.

Regards
 
Hello
I have been working with Stanley Engineering to manufacture a wooden headshell with the same dimensions as the original acrylic AR XA headshell but with an SME connector.
I have included some photos of the first prototype. Stan said that it could also be made with a metal finger lift which I think I will opt for. I do not have the prototype in hand yet.
I aim to achieve a similar look to the original AR XA tonearm but with an SME arm tube swap, which I had done by an AK forum member.

Would any other forum members be interested in acquiring a headshell like this? I'm not going to be selling these or making any money here. I'd like to see if we can make it worth Stanley Eginering's time to produce them. If so, some could provide input on how it should be made. I'm no expert and just measured the original and provided Stan with my measurements.
I asked for the first made from Walnut to match the plinth, but a different wood would be better.

Finally, one can find Stanley Eginerigng's store on "the bay" and get an idea of what these will likely cost. Not cheap, but I'm a sucker for aesthetics.
View attachment 3405439

PS I'm new to forums, and if this is not the appropriate thread to post content like this in, please let me know, and I will happily move to wherever is best.

Regards

The photos look a bit grainy on my screen but otherwise the headshell appears very well-executed.

I for one wouldn't be interested in the wooden aspect of this, I'm more attracted to the original grey plastic modified with the SME style connector. For me the whole point would be to restore the look of the original. But I would guess many folks would be interested in what you've posted.
 
Hello
I have been working with Stanley Engineering to manufacture a wooden headshell with the same dimensions as the original acrylic AR XA headshell but with an SME connector.
I have included some photos of the first prototype. Stan said that it could also be made with a metal finger lift which I think I will opt for. I do not have the prototype in hand yet.
I aim to achieve a similar look to the original AR XA tonearm but with an SME arm tube swap, which I had done by an AK forum member.

Would any other forum members be interested in acquiring a headshell like this? I'm not going to be selling these or making any money here. I'd like to see if we can make it worth Stanley Eginering's time to produce them. If so, some could provide input on how it should be made. I'm no expert and just measured the original and provided Stan with my measurements.
I asked for the first made from Walnut to match the plinth, but a different wood would be better.

Finally, one can find Stanley Eginerigng's store on "the bay" and get an idea of what these will likely cost. Not cheap, but I'm a sucker for aesthetics.
View attachment 3405439

PS I'm new to forums, and if this is not the appropriate thread to post content like this in, please let me know, and I will happily move to wherever is best.

Regards
Instead of the screw inserts I would make 1/2" to 5/8" slots so you can position different carts and alignments. Also I would cut a "window" in the front for those carts that have long snouts so that can stick out a bit .

I would buy a few or more depending on price . I have about 7 AR XA's ;)

Athanasios
 
Price and Weight. Yes, the parameters that matter the most. Maybe.

Price:
My estimate is they would be about $150, gulp. That's based on the price of other headshells he makes. I'll ask him tonight. He's in Germany. I got permission from him to post about this and the pictures. I'm going to share a link to this thread with him. I know that's a lot to pay for a headshell when Yamamotos' and the bestaudioparts are half that.

Here is his op https://www.ebay.com/str/stanleyengineeringshop?_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l161211

Weight:
I told Stan that under 10 grams would be acceptable. I know the original is much lighter.

Different woods would change the weight. As I mentioned, I asked for the prototype to be made from walnut to match the original plinth, but maybe a lighter wood is more important.

Slots:
I considered slots but concluded they would detract too much from the original's blocky character, which looks so good. That said, my mind is not made up; perhaps more than one version can be made. I envisioned having a few at different ones at different weights from different woods, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I can take a poll and track some preferences if members would like.

Target Weight: in grams
Wood Preference: species (Will affect weight)
Slots: yes/no
Window: yes/no
Finger lift: Wood/Metal (might also affect the weight)
Finger lift color if metal: gold/silver

However, if no one is interested in my estimated price point, then I'll just stop here and likely buy the prototype he has already made.
 
It's been awhile since I've posted anything here in AK, but I thought you all might appreciate seeing my recently completed modded AR-XA turntable. The most recent upgrades include having the top deck repainted with an automotive paint finish, clearcoated, and polished, installation of new 12 VDC Hurst motor I acquired from Dave at Vinyl Nirvana, and building an open bottom plate to facilitate the mounting of the isolation feet. I've had it up and playing for about a week now, and I'm very happy with how this turntable is sounding to my old ears.
 

Attachments

  • 1000091003.jpg
    1000091003.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 1000091246.jpg
    1000091246.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 74
It's been awhile since I've posted anything here in AK, but I thought you all might appreciate seeing my recently completed modded AR-XA turntable. The most recent upgrades include having the top deck repainted with an automotive paint finish, clearcoated, and polished, installation of new 12 VDC Hurst motor I acquired from Dave at Vinyl Nirvana, and building an open bottom plate to facilitate the mounting of the isolation feet. I've had it up and playing for about a week now, and I'm very happy with how this turntable is sounding to my old ears.

Beautiful.
 
Ok quick question for all you folks who have done the armtube swap on your Xa.
How does the new armtube ( and headshell) affect the cart/ stylus alignment?
What protractor can I use? With a technics arm tube and generic SME type headshell what's the best way to calculate the Effective Length? Just use a tape measure and try to get close?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom