• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

On Impulse I ordered a Boyuu Reisong A10 EL34, class A. Any experience? Add your opinion on it.

Tube rolling won't fix the bass, doing my mods to it will. It seriously transforms it and turns it into a nice sounding amp. Throw some JJ EL34L output tubes and some gold lion 12AX7 in it and you should be pretty happy.

thanks! Do you have a link to the mods?
 
connected a sub through pre-amp to get some more body and depth. Works out pretty good I must say.


Hi All,
Just picked up an A10 to see what all the fuss was about :)

Coming from a lightly restored Sansui 1000a amp from 1969 connected to a set of Klipsch Forte II (Crites modded)….

While I think this A10 will be plenty powerful for my small music room the switch has completely gutted the low end I had with the Sansui.

After connecting I played around with a few different records to see what this liked best. Did not response well to Rock records, again the complete lack of bass was almost unlistenable.

Playing some Grant Green jazz really brought this to life!

Before I start throwing tubes at this will I be able to get a decent amount of bass back or should I just go back to the Sansui?

current setup:
MoFi Studio Deck Turntable
MoFi Studio Phono Preamp
Klipsch Forte II Speakers
 
That's odd I have good my system, maybe the speakers or a tube change is in order I thought
the original tubes were pretty lacking in everything until I changed the tubes out. Go to Jim McShane
for a nice selection of EL34 tubes (and he tests them).
 
Tonight I changed the cathode resistor from the 500ohm to a 350ohm, I'm using
a matched pair of Kt77's and it reads 77% plate dissipation for both channels
I think running it a little bit hotter from 55% is a bit better.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BMC
Tonight I changed the cathode resistor from the 500ohm to a 350ohm, I'm using
a matched pair of Kt77's and it reads 77% plate dissipation for both channels
I think running it a little bit hotter from 55% is a bit better.

Keep going :) My mod uses a 250 ohm and has them over 90%.
 
No, the 350 ohm works good my tube are set around 80% don't need them burning out
at over 90%, tubes aren't cheap anymore like the old days, plus it used to be running at
55% so it's a lot better.
 
Watched the mod videos. I will try out the quick fix ”mod” with changing tubes and switch to 4 ohm. Do you have a link to the tubes you used?

You can use 6V6 tubes for that application. I have a pair of RCAs that I’m never gonna use. Whoever wants them, PM me and they are yours.
 
No, the 350 ohm works good my tube are set around 80% don't need them burning out
at over 90%, tubes aren't cheap anymore like the old days, plus it used to be running at
55% so it's a lot better.

These JJ EL34L are $15... I've been running a pair of them for over a year at 96% in another amp and they still test almost new. This difference in distortion between 80% and 90% is measurable and audible.
 
Anyone who’s done the mods have an opinion on the A10/12 with mods vs an Elekit TU-8200R? I’m debating between these two for a secondary project system that I’m working on.

Speakers will be some weird 15” Japanese 16ohm horn loaded drivers that I found in some Karlson cabs locally. Can’t find much info on the speakers otherwise.
 
Anyone who’s done the mods have an opinion on the A10/12 with mods vs an Elekit TU-8200R? I’m debating between these two for a secondary project system that I’m working on.

Speakers will be some weird 15” Japanese 16ohm horn loaded drivers that I found in some Karlson cabs locally. Can’t find much info on the speakers otherwise.
I have the A10 with all the mods done. I sometimes use GEC KT66 on the 4 ohm tap with my 8 ohm speakers. But you could use your 16 ohm drivers on the 8 ohm tap and get the correct impedance that the KT66 and Output transformer wants to see, since the OPT’s were designed for the EL34.
 
How to do the mods if I want to keep the A10 sockets and still use both type drivers? 6np and 12ax7 w/ adapters?
 
Revisiting my A10, unmodified. With 6V6 tubes, 8 ohm speakers on 4 ohm taps. Added Schiit Loki 4 band equalizer with heavily boosted lower 2 bands. Now hearing bass drum and double bass where wasn't before. Miracles of an equalizer.
Speakers: Canton Karat 200 8" three-ways, 91 db spl sensitivity. In 11'x12' room.
Enjoying. Sounds quite nice. I mainly listen to jazz and vocals.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: BMC
How to do the mods if I want to keep the A10 sockets and still use both type drivers? 6np and 12ax7 w/ adapters?
It's been a while since your post. I have read either about this Amp, in this or another thread. AKer experiences of hum using adapters. Try perusing the pages of this thread.
 
Revisited using my unmodified A10.
As Stephe suggested, if using unmodified:
6V6 GT power tubes.
ADS L470/2, 8ohm speakers on 4 ohm taps.
Subwoofer by high level inputs.

The sub fills in the otherwise almost non-existent bass.
I added a Schiit Loki equalizer.
I think this setup sounds pretty good this way, in 11'x12' room. Will never be a Rogue, but...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom