• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Onkyo M504/P304....why can't I enjoy this??

Very welcome, rg. I went back and checked - yep, all four were changed out per the doc and CohibaJoe's suggestions.

Phono stage is amazing now, everything sounds more refined, more colorful. Very enjoyable. I think I want a full recap of both pieces, tho the filter caps on the 504 are a PITA, from what I hear.
 
Heads up - should any of you techno guys find a BETTER op-amp than the ones I have in there now, lemme know. I have the sockets, so dropping in would be a snap. Even a luddite like me could do it. LME49860NA/NOPB is what I'm currently very happy with.

CohibaJoe, did you ever replace those filter caps?
 
Very glad to hear that this story is working out positively, and that the op amps can make that much difference. I also like the no-nonsense design of that Onkyo series, so it would be great if the sound could make you happy as well.
 
I am listening to a M-504 right now. Have not tried the P-304 but I have it. Sounds damn fine, not WOPL fine but damn fine none the less. The 504 does not wake up until you get over 50w on the meters, they are made to thunder and as I crank this one, it has major grin factor. Thanks for the trade Bob, always cool seeing you!

RVDg0nx.jpg
 
Last edited:
Heads up - should any of you techno guys find a BETTER op-amp than the ones I have in there now, lemme know. I have the sockets, so dropping in would be a snap. Even a luddite like me could do it. LME49860NA/NOPB is what I'm currently very happy with.

CohibaJoe, did you ever replace those filter caps?

Onward,

I really like the LT1364 opamp, if you're game I'd give it a try. I've tried a lot in several applications and it's a great sounding one. The only one I've found to beat it is the OPA627 at a much higher cost and is single channel so you would have to install an adapter to use the single channel version.

Gibsonian
 
Thank you gibsonian! May try those, can't cost too much, and totally reversible.

Ron, I've never had my volume past 11 oclock. You must really like it loud! Rawwk!
 
Very glad to hear that this story is working out positively, and that the op amps can make that much difference. I also like the no-nonsense design of that Onkyo series, so it would be great if the sound could make you happy as well.

It is currently paired with my Vandersteen 2C's I scored for 200 bucks, no repairs needed, and yes, VERY happy man.

You're in Nashville??

I must get to making a local AK meet happen. I keep threatening to.
 
It is currently paired with my Vandersteen 2C's I scored for 200 bucks, no repairs needed, and yes, VERY happy man.

You're in Nashville??

I must get to making a local AK meet happen. I keep threatening to.

Yeah, let's do that! Yes, I'm in Nashville. And I'm listening to Vandersteen 2Ces in my main system — very happy tunes indeed.

Cheers!
 
Last edited:
Heads up - should any of you techno guys find a BETTER op-amp than the ones I have in there now, lemme know. I have the sockets, so dropping in would be a snap. Even a luddite like me could do it. LME49860NA/NOPB is what I'm currently very happy with.

CohibaJoe, did you ever replace those filter caps?
It's looking at me right now....I will get to this for the weekend. Have around 3-4 to try...I will post the Op-Amp #.

My desk has a Sony TA-E77ESD I am recapping....Wire Management sucks in this 1...Power and Phone boards need to be removed to access solider...in pieces at the moment.
 
onwardjames - what exactly did you do to your P-304? I have the same amp mated to my onkyo m508 and am having the same issues you had. I will send mine to a repair shop to do what you had done. The mids are just to overpowered.
 
Sterile, horribly sterile. That's my initial impression of the P304.

Now? Much less so. More musical, and yet still very accurate. CohibaJoe, who initially did it, is still of a mind that the P304 is mediocre, but I couldn't believe what I heard with those new op-amps.

I replaced the op-amp sockets with sockets that allow interchangability with other op-amps. Settled on some JVC ones, I believe. Seems everyone is wanting this info, I will have to dig it up. Gimme a sec.
 
I'm going to be copy-pastying what CohibaJoe sent me. Hopefully, it helps. Orders are from Mouser.


Hi Tim....Mouser 575-113308

These are Solid and Very Good $.77

Thanks,
Joe

I THINK THAT IS FOR THE SOCKETS.

Here is CohibaJoe's link


http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=495735



haha, I was all over that thread.

Okay 4 it is. Last question, I promise..

There are LME49860NA/NOPB and there are LME49860MA/NOPB.

I looked at the pictures. I assume I want the NA/NOPB versions, since they have pins, and not flat ends?

Thank you,

Tim
Mouser: 926-LME49860NA/NOPB is what you want. I THINK THIS IS FOR THE OP AMPS I USED.

Seems I used 2 in the phono stage, and 2 on the main board. Anway, the ability to change out those op amps in the future is nice. Even a dullard like me could pull it off.

I really was happy with the results.
 
Thanks! So it is still not the best sounding? I really dislike the fact that this noise box lacks a "loudness" button. In many ways my old Fisher rack system sounds better. Do you think I may be spending my money better if I ditch this whole preamp and get another one? Like an old phillips, or Denon brand?
 
I cannot possibly answer that with even a remote chance of accuracy. I know not where your personal tastes lie.

I will say that I agree with the "loudness" assessment. Yeah, that's what I thought, until I changed the op amps.

It's inexpensive, and worth a shot. Me, I think the pre is quite good with the upgrade. If I were to go on the cheap for a different pre, some of those Yamaha pre's from the mid '80's were very good and can be had for cheap.
 
Though I sold it, I liked the flat response of the P-304. That preamp sounds great when you put the throttles to the firewall with a good high power amp

I have not used a loudness control since the early 90s, talk about injecting mids and mid bass, to my ears the sound gets grainy and muddy
 
Totally agree, Ron. For me, most of my listening is in the 60-70db range (yeah, I'm too old) so loudness helps.

However, get on the gas, and loudness makes a sonic mess. If someone wants to crank it like Northwinds does, a flat response is indeed preferable.
 
hmmm..... was this a very hard upgrade to change those sockets? Does it require a lot of soldering near delicate circuit boards? Maybe I could do this myself. I live in the Berkeley area, and my choices of honest repair shops are limited. I used to use the soundwell, but they are almost non existent now. Perhaps a tutorial with pictures and part numbers for the receptacles.
 
Back
Top Bottom