• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Onkyo M504/P304....why can't I enjoy this??

Is there any consensus on which op amp(s) should be used as replacements in the P304? I see the socket mount listed earlier is still available for purchase, but it looks like the op amp is not.

I have done my share of recaps and noisy transistor replacements, but op amps are new to me.
 
Is there any consensus on which op amp(s) should be used as replacements in the P304? I see the socket mount listed earlier is still available for purchase, but it looks like the op amp is not.

I have done my share of recaps and noisy transistor replacements, but op amps are new to me.

Since I have the op-amps sitting in those sockets now, I'd also be interested to see if I could also use those Plug Compatible Burson FET's as well !! And I think the 2604 is what we ended up using, but my memory isn't trustworthy.
 
Since I have the op-amps sitting in those sockets now, I'd also be interested to see if I could also use those Plug Compatible Burson FET's as well !! And I think the 2604 is what we ended up using, but my memory isn't trustworthy.
I didn't see a direct reference to the Mitsubishi op amp used, but some Google research has found others who have replace it with OPA2134s - which is exactly what I replaced with a V5.

Click here for a link to the V5 page where you'll find the Burson folks are happy to answer questions about compatibility with op amps not found in their list of popular ones replaced.
 
You rock, E-Stat. Even a Luddite like me can drop an op-amp in a socket (making sure it faces the correct way!)
 
You rock, E-Stat. Even a Luddite like me can drop an op-amp in a socket (making sure it faces the correct way!)
You go buddy! I was the Onkyo rep in North Texas when that gear was current. I had a Vietnamese shop in Arlington that sold a ton of high end gear. The P304/M504/EQ35 was their go to system.
 
I didn't see a direct reference to the Mitsubishi op amp used, but some Google research has found others who have replace it with OPA2134s - which is exactly what I replaced with a V5.

Click here for a link to the V5 page where you'll find the Burson folks are happy to answer questions about compatibility with op amps not found in their list of popular ones replaced.

Awesome! I tip my hat to you, sir.
 
I hope you followed the link I provided about installing them in the Music Hall. Measure twice - cut once! It's all about the notch!

I did read that, and laughed. I tend to measure 3 times, cut once.....and still dick it up, lol.
 
Okay, I think that I might be out of luck with those Supreme Sound op-amps. They're physically too tall to fit in the slender chassis
 
This thread make me miss my M-504.

They're just so darn pretty. I just found the booklet for 1999 (remember those??) Onkyo's entire lineup. There's the P304/M504 and even my EQ-35, which I have yet to hook up, sorry Northwinds.

Think I'll get a high res scan of the two, complete with specs, and color print and frame. Would look splendid.

Just put some Oscar Peterson through this pre/amp into Ohm Walsh 300 mk2's, and I gotta say, it sounds stupendous.
 
Back
Top Bottom