• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ortofon QBert or Shure M97xe

Angry Possum

Well-Known Member
Looking into purchasing one of these carts. Would like some input on which one our members recommend. Ortofon Qbert or Shure M97xe.
Decisions Decisions. Or maybe something in the hundred dollar range.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Since you already have an Omega, I don't see much use in getting the QBert, as it is designed for "turntablism" scratching and such. The Shure M97xe is a good match for the 1200 with it's damper brush, but probably would suffer in comparison to your V15.

There are several Audiotechnica cartridges in your price range; an AT95E should work well with your 1200 and give you different sound than the three you already have.
 
What turntable is this going to be used on? (looks like maybe Technics 1200?)

The Shure V15 that you already have is a nice cart.

Are you just looking for a different sound than what you already have between the 3 carts that you listed?

If you want different, and it's going on the Technics 1200, I would try a Shure M35X. It's a good solid sound, works well with less than perfect records, eliminates some of those clicks and pops even on very good records as well.
 
What turntable is this going to be used on? (looks like maybe Technics 1200?)

The Shure V15 that you already have is a nice cart.

Are you just looking for a different sound than what you already have between the 3 carts that you listed?

If you want different, and it's going on the Technics 1200, I would try a Shure M35X. It's a good solid sound, works well with less than perfect records, eliminates some of those clicks and pops even on very good records as well. I think they are about $59 on Amazon.

Sl 1200.... And Yes, perhaps a different sound hiball.
 
I put a Shure M35X on a Technics SL-1900 before I sold it and I loved the sound.

Cart recommendations are difficult because what sounds good to one person may not sound good to another.

I added a link in my previous post. Please ignore the "house" "techno" and "DJ" labeling of this cart.

It works just as well at home playing Joy Division.
 
Perhaps maybe a Sumiko Black Pearl or Oyster also. To be considering now.... Or maybe a Nagaoka.... Decisions decisions......lol
 
Last edited:
Or can you or anyone recommend a good cart for the 100 price range. I currently own a Shure V15 IV. An Ortofon Omega and a Stanton 500.
Grado Prestige Black or Green. I used one when I had an SL-1200MK2 and it worked wonderfully. A different sound than the Shures and Ortofons. I owned a M97xE as well and sold it in favor of the Grado. With the Grado you also have a nice upgrade path with regards to styli.
 
It depends on what kind of tonal balance you like. Nagaokas have a rolled-off high end just like the M97xE. Ortofons are more bright. The AT95E is neutral-sounding, which is one reason I like it. It won't particularly impress you with any aspect of its performance, but neither will it disappoint you. That's all I can ask for from a $39 cartridge!
 
If you are into the Ortofon sound and cart design, get a Concorde Pro S and any stylus from the STY lineup. I have a Concorde Pro S with a STY10, eventually I am going to move up to a STY20 or STY30. I love the look of the Concordes, and the ease of not having to do any adjustments.
 
Grado Prestige Black or Green. I used one when I had an SL-1200MK2 and it worked wonderfully. A different sound than the Shures and Ortofons. I owned a M97xE as well and sold it in favor of the Grado. With the Grado you also have a nice upgrade path with regards to styli.

IME, Grados' performance is just OK on a stock Technics arm. If a KAB fluid damping unit is added, however, Grados perform extremely well on an SL-1200 however!

I used to not care much for Grados in general, but when I first tried out a Gold1 on a fluid-damped 1200, I was stunned by how open, energetic and 3D it sounded.
 
Last edited:
IME, Grados' performance is just OK on a stock Technics are. If a KAB fluid damping unit is added, however, Grados perform extremely well on an SL-1200 however!

I used to not care much for Grados in general, but when I first tried out a Gold1 on a fluid-damped 1200, I was stunned by how open, energetic and 3D it sounded.
I agree Glenn, I used a Green with an 8MZ stylus on mine (with the aforementioned KAB TD-1200). Should have mentioned the damping in my original response, totally forgot the impact that little trough had.

The same cartridge/stylus is now on my SOTA, at least until I get my new arm next week, then my modified DL-103 is back in play.
 
I agree Glenn, I used a Green with an 8MZ stylus on mine (with the aforementioned KAB TD-1200). Should have mentioned the damping in my original response, totally forgot the impact that little trough had.

The same cartridge/stylus is now on my SOTA, at least until I get my new arm next week, then my modified DL-103 is back in play.

What arm will you be mating with the DL-103?
 
Back
Top Bottom