• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ortofon vs. Audio-Technica

njb182

Active Member
I have been looking at new cartridges for my half-inch mount Technics turntable.

I have ruled down to 2. Of these two, which do most of you prefer, quality wise?

Ortofon OMB 5E
Audio-Technica AT301EP (comes with an adapter)

EDIT: I have now ruled out the AT301EP. Now I want to compare the Ortofon OMB 5E and the Audio-Technica AT71ELC.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I don't have either of those, but I do have an AudioTechnica AT71ELC (which can be found for around $20-30) that is a great performer for the price.
 
njb: Careful, an OM(B)5 is not an OM(B)5E, i.e. the OM(B)5 only sports a spherical needle - I'd rather suggest to buy the elliptical version with the E suffix. Well, and the 301EP isn't a bad entry level elliptical cart either, but the upgrade path is rather limited nowadays, 'cause the interesting needles for this AT family are pretty much sold out everywhere. In addition, an OM(B)5E should fit better to your Technics arm.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
I agree with SA-708. The AT-71ELC is your best value. The OMB 5 is Ortofon's entry level conical stylus. The AT-301 is a p-mount and mates better with lighter arms. The AT-71ELC is a .4 x .7 elliptical which tracks at 1-2g, a better match for the Technics s-arm. Garage-a-records is selling it for $35.
 
Well, and the 301EP isn't a bad entry level elliptical cart either, but the upgrade path is rather limited nowadays, 'cause the interesting needles for this AT family are pretty much sold out everywhere.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Aha! Not true! :D Lpgear is now selling line contact and microline styli for the 3472 style body.
 
njb: Careful, an OM(B)5 is not an OM(B)5E, i.e. the OM(B)5 only sports a spherical needle - I'd rather suggest to buy the elliptical version with the E suffix. Well, and the 301EP isn't a bad entry level elliptical cart either, but the upgrade path is rather limited nowadays, 'cause the interesting needles for this AT family are pretty much sold out everywhere. In addition, an OM(B)5E should fit better to your Technics arm.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Yeah, sorry about that, I meant to provide this link -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...K:MEWAX:IT&item=150303736482#ebayphotohosting

Thanks for the input.
 
Aha! Not true! :D Lpgear is now selling line contact and microline styli for the 3472 style body.

Oops, forgot the word "original". I'm aware of the LPGear needles for the AT3472 and AT95, but these are third party replacements (and rather expensive too, I'd say)...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Take one Ortofon OM series cartridge, does not matter which, I paid $26 for mine via german guy on ebay. Buy one Digitrac cartridge (made by ortofon)use the stylus from that on the Ortofon stylus, or use the Digitrac as is IF the cartridge works (most don't, one of mine out of two did). The result equals a OM20 for around $50. The secret is the nude eliptical diamond on the Digitrac stylus. This was discovered by 'Quest' so it given the name the 'Quest 20'. Mine made me ebay my Grado green faster than you can say paypal, their awsome for the money.
 
Take one Ortofon OM series cartridge, does not matter which, I paid $26 for mine via german guy on ebay. Buy one Digitrac cartridge (made by ortofon)use the stylus from that on the Ortofon stylus, or use the Digitrac as is IF the cartridge works (most don't, one of mine out of two did). The result equals a OM20 for around $50. The secret is the nude eliptical diamond on the Digitrac stylus. This was discovered by 'Quest' so it given the name the 'Quest 20'. Mine made me ebay my Grado green faster than you can say paypal, their awsome for the money.

Oh ok. Thanks for the advice! Say I don't do that (I'm only 16 and don't have a whole to spend), is the Ortofon OM5E, itself, better then the AT71ELC?
 
The Digitrac is available via ebay, search 'johnnygotdeals', or at Jettsales.com (same person I think). I got mine both times in short order no problems.
 
The Digitrac is available via ebay, search 'johnnygotdeals', or at Jettsales.com (same person I think). I got mine both times in short order no problems.

That doesn't answer my question though. I don't have 50 bucks to spend on a cartridge...
 
Regarding the cartridge to cartridge level difference

....Is it known if these cartridges are measured to any standard? What reference level are they shooting for, and for what groove amplitude? I've looked around and there doesn't seem to be any concensus on lateral or vertical amplitude 'Reference' levels. One manufacturers '3.0mV' may just be true for one manufacturer and one test record.
 
So the stylus will fit perfectly on the Ortofon OM seris? No mod needs to be made? You can't find the digitrac 200 on ebay at the moment.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom