• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

P-Mounts: Do you like them?

tubemusic

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a Technics SL-QD33. This is my first P mount system. I like the little table. Yeah it's plastic housing but it plays well. My buddy grumbled about the P-mount system. Do to lack of adjusting the cartridge. I like the P-mount just for that reason.

What are you experience with P-mounts? Worth the bother of changing the P-mount cartridge to something better?
 
Register to hide this ad
Not my dish of tea. Not enough choices. And too many T4p cartridges were not designed for the medium but adapted from 1/2" options.
 
Love 'em; wish they were the standard in 2013.

I am amazed at how well the at92e performs on the test record (hi-fi news).
 
I like them OK on T4P capable tables that have adjustments for VTF, bias, etc. I have some that do. That way I'm not stuck completely within the design specifications of the T4P system. If I want to use a tip that tracks at 2 grams I can do it.
 
Last edited:
It's a good concept and one that, in a general sense, worked exceptionally well for B&O. As has been observed, cartridge choices are pretty limited but there are some very good ones. Some of those don't exactly adhere to the T4P standard, either for cartridge weight or optimal VTF. That means a table like the OP's (and John's) SL-QD33, with adjustable VTF or some of the earliest Technics P-mounts (SL-D20 & 30 or SL-Q20 & 30) which have both adjustable VTF and bias are useful for optimizing some cartridges. One of those was my first table when I got back into vinyl and I liked it a lot.

John
 
Most of the cartridges I like only are available in 1/2" mount. And I prefer tonearms which can be aligned to house geometry and are 12"
 
I had a Technics SL-M2 that would have been one of my favorites ever if not for the P-mount. Just not enough options.
 
I had a Technics SL-M2 that would have been one of my favorites ever if not for the P-mount. Just not enough options.

The SL-M2 was also available with an S-arm. I don't jnow whether it was a plug-in though.

John
 
A number of early straight arm tables came with two headshells, one for 1/2 inch mount and one for P-mount. I have several of these and it was a good idea.
 
It was a good idea but few cartridges met the standards. If I remember correctly cartridges were supposed to weigh 6 grams and track at 1.25 grams. Grado made a lot of Pmount cartridges but always suggested they track at 1.5 grams. Many of the Pmount tonearms did not have adjustable counterweights. When I had a Technics Pmount turntable I did not know as much about aligning cartridges and would be curious if overhang was consistent from cartridge to cartridge. Great idea but too many variables from different manufacturers.
 
I...would be curious if overhang was consistent from cartridge to cartridge.

It generally was. But often the tonearm geometry was wrong, and you were stuck with it.

MOST (not all) Technics P-mounts could be adjusted for tracking weight by turning a screw in the middle of the counterweight.
 
Kinda entry-level, aren't they?

Most but not all. The aforementioned SL-M2 sure wasn't and neither were several other Technics P-mounts. And don't forget that a lot of highly regarded linear trackers, like the SL-10, used T4P cartridges.

Below, the SL-MA1, straight arm with a removable P-mount headshell which could be repaced with a 1/2" one.

John

sl-ma1.JPG
 
A number of early straight arm tables came with two headshells, one for 1/2 inch mount and one for P-mount. I have several of these and it was a good idea.

I have a Yamaha P200 and P500, TT500U, that use both "P" mount and 1/2 headshells. So far, the overhang is dead on , on all three TT's, using At92e, M92e and a Ortofon OMP (fitted with a OM10 stylus) in the P mount headshell . The only difference between the P500 and a P520, is that the P520 comes with both headshells.

I keep the TT500U fitted with the Ortofon OMP for needle drops.
 
I have one of those with a Grado Silver P-mount cleaning the groves. Sweet table and one the wife likes to use because of the simplicity and ease of operation.


Barney
 

Attachments

  • SL-MA1 II.jpg
    SL-MA1 II.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 96
Back
Top Bottom