• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Panic in Detroit. Gas up yet again. (one station at $6.09 for regular)

All I buy is gasoline at $4.34 a gallon at the local Casey's.
Have you ever had Casey's pizza? It's pretty good! Hard to believe how good pizza could be from a gas station chain but it is darn good and not too expensive either. You can call them in advance and the go pick it up hot right out of the oven.
 
I don't do much "extra" driving anymore. We mostly order online and are thinking about cutting back to one vacation every two years.

Just need to cut back — there's not much else one can do.


2abf645f-157f-4bc9-bf31-1bb220cdb344.gif
 
Just need to cut back — there's not much else one can do.
We're selling our AIrstream. We had pretty much planned to stop RVing now or in the near future anyway. That means I will also sell my GASHOG Yukon tow monster also. 13MPG in town, and 10.5 towing the trailer. OUCH.

I have plenty of other shite to keep me occupied..................
 
Have you ever had Casey's pizza? It's pretty good! Hard to believe how good pizza could be from a gas station chain but it is darn good and not too expensive either. You can call them in advance and the go pick it up hot right out of the oven.

This reminds me of a KILLER IDEA I had the other day.

I noticed that there are endless drive thru fast foods, but I have never seen....anywhere we travelled....a Drive Thru "Pizza by the slice" joint. How is it possible that America's favorite food is not available in the damn car?? I'm willing to share this fantastic money-maker with anyone who will put up about $2M so we can try it out!
 
We're selling our AIrstream. We had pretty much planned to stop RVing now or in the near future anyway. That means I will also sell my GASHOG Yukon tow monster also. 13MPG in town, and 10.5 towing the trailer. OUCH.

I have plenty of other shite to keep me occupied..................
Sorry about the Airstream. That bohemian, on-the-road vacation may be on the way out. :(

When my kids were young and we came upon a Yukon on the road, I'd ask them, "Who can do it?" And they'd say, "YUKON!"
 
Sorry about the Airstream. That bohemian, on-the-road vacation may be on the way out. :(

When my kids were young and we came upon a Yukon on the road, I'd ask them, "Who can do it?" And they'd say, "YUKON!"

We've done it for many years, so we are satisfied. I would have liked to go to Nova Scotia, but from here that's a whopping load of GAS, and I don't have much confidence it will be coming way down in my lifetime.

Might be time to build another Art Car - or maybe get a cool classic, or convince my wife to be my chaufer?
 
We've done it for many years, so we are satisfied. I would have liked to go to Nova Scotia, but from here that's a whopping load of GAS, and I don't have much confidence it will be coming way down in my lifetime.

Might be time to build another Art Car - or maybe get a cool classic, or convince my wife to be my chaufer?
I guess you could fly to Nova Scotia and rent a camper van? Even with the cost of airline tickets, it may be cheaper than driving.
 
I guess fly to Nova Scotia and rent a camper van? Even with the cost of airline tickets, it may be cheaper than driving.
Uh, I don't fly.

I hope never to fly again, anywhere, for any reason. I suppose if I could fly first class, and IF the TSA was abolished, and IF airlines hired quality people, and IF the FAA finally had their new air traffic system to replace the 1960s software they use now, and IF Boeing actually learned how to make airplanes, and IF airports could actually figure out how to move people from gate A1 to gate Z99, other than walking....I might change my mind.
 
Uh, I don't fly.

I hope never to fly again, anywhere, for any reason. I suppose if I could fly first class, and IF the TSA was abolished, and IF airlines hired quality people, and IF the FAA finally had their new air traffic system to replace the 1960s software they use now, and IF Boeing actually learned how to make airplanes, and IF airports could actually figure out how to move people from gate A1 to gate Z99, other than walking....I might change my mind.
I suspect you'll be grounded for a while.
 
I don't do much "extra" driving anymore. We mostly order online and are thinking about cutting back to one vacation every two years.

Just need to cut back — there's not much else one can do.


2abf645f-157f-4bc9-bf31-1bb220cdb344.gif
Yup, my fear of retiring keeps me here at work.

_

Diesel is 8.50 a gallon here.

I know a guy who drives ~800 miles round trip to eastern Nevada to work his 'gold claim' each weekend.

He has a big ass all in one giant diesel 4X4 and gets 7 miles per gallon pulling his trailer thing back and forth.

He's paying over a dollar per mile so he can go dry pan for gold.

Financially, he'd be much better off learning to say, "Would you like fries with that?" and work locally.
 
Last edited:
Uh, I don't fly.

I hope never to fly again, anywhere, for any reason. I suppose if I could fly first class, and IF the TSA was abolished, and IF airlines hired quality people, and IF the FAA finally had their new air traffic system to replace the 1960s software they use now, and IF Boeing actually learned how to make airplanes, and IF airports could actually figure out how to move people from gate A1 to gate Z99, other than walking....I might change my mind.
The Greyhound or train?

:idea:
 
Uh, I don't fly.

I hope never to fly again, anywhere, for any reason. I suppose if I could fly first class, and IF the TSA was abolished, and IF airlines hired quality people, and IF the FAA finally had their new air traffic system to replace the 1960s software they use now, and IF Boeing actually learned how to make airplanes, and IF airports could actually figure out how to move people from gate A1 to gate Z99, other than walking....I might change my mind.
I flew last month to Massachusetts for a wedding.
First time I have flown since the 90’s which I remember as being enjoyable.

I would agree with all of the above post.
(Edit; major servicing of planes offshore wasn’t mentioned)
Not the pleasant experience that I thought it might be. Other than being in the air, it was actually awful.

I know TSA agents have to deal with some awful people but if you hate your government job that much, please find a new one and don’t take it out on me.

Back to fuel prices, small cars vs huge pickup trucks and SUV’s:

“He who ignores history is doomed to repeat it.”

We drive a Subaru Outback and Chevy HHR. Both 4 cylinder engines.

Since my first car in 1972, I have never owned a vehicle with anything larger than a 4 cylinder engine. And I have owned a lot of them.

During the last Iran oil crisis, I installed a vacuum gauge in the car that I had so that I could “feather” the gas pedal to eek out every last drop of gas per gallon.

Mandated federal speed was 55 mph which was strictly enforced and awful, not to mention long lines at gas stations that actually had gas.

Guess we will see what happens this time around.
 
Last edited:
There are two things I use to measure my standard of living today versus say, 1970 when I became an official adult.

1. Getting gas
Was a time, when I rolled into the Chevron station, got my tank filled, windows washed, coolant checked, maybe some air in one tire, paid for the gas, all while relaxing with my cup o' Joe in the comfort of my car. <----Oh, the "free market" fixed that for me.

2. Flying from LA to Chicago in 1970
First of all, I only needed to be at the airport 15 minutes before the flight time. Second, every plane was crewed by beautiful, smiling, courteous, young women in sharp, clean uniforms. But also, they served edible hot food (not gourmet, but edible), luggage was FREE to travel - and it made it to the destination. The airports didn't seem like grimy mosh-pits, and finally, in all the flights I took over 25 years in my early work, I never saw a passenger that had to be duck-taped into his seat, never saw anyone urinate in his/her seat, never saw two women putting on a "cage match" in the aisle. Nope - never saw or even heard of any of that.

But, we keep getting told how marvelous technology has made our lives and what a high standard of living we have.

Really?
 
What? No idle "lope!"

69aa2b69-5125-4e47-b0ca-b36be0abd85e.png
It actually has a "thump" of varied intensity through the seat. On the early prototypes Harley took it around to demo days for rides. Riders would unconsciously "rev" the bike and EV instant torque-BAM on the ground. So they came up with a pulse that is rider adjustable to remind you it's on even though there is no sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom