• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Partially complete Sansui Six repair and restoration (with pictures!)

AlexHempel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Greetings AK,

This is going to be a very long post (scroll down if you just want pictures). I was looking for a project over the summer and decided to restore a Sansui Six. People on AK and elsewhere seemed to agree that the Six is a well-built, warm-sounding receiver, which is exactly what I was looking for -- it's going to be part of a secondary system along with a pair of Paul Carmody S2000s I've yet to build.

I ended up purchasing a broken unit for about $80 on Ebay; working ones are often listed for $200-$300, and I planned on replacing problem components regardless of initial condition. It came with a number of original parts, including two replacement fuse lamps and some plastic equipment for antenna mounting. It was in quite good condition apart from many decades of dust and a bunch of scratches on the wooden case. All the lamps worked perfectly out of the box, so I suspect it didn't see much use.

The build quality of the Six is quite impressive. I've worked on a few other receivers, including units from well-respected companies such as Marantz, and none of them felt as solid as the Six. The faceplate uses 4 mm thick aluminum, the heatsinks are unnecessarily bulky, and the steel chassis barely flexes even when all other panels and supports are removed. My only gripe: I'm not a fan of the plastic buttons on the front panel.

The Six's internal layout is quite pleasing. Everything is logically placed: amp boards near the back with the output transistor heatsinks, tuner boards up front next to the variable capacitor, power supply board right next to the transformer and 120VAC wiring. Moreover, the amp and EQ boards are socketed, which makes repairs far easier. And the non-socketed boards can be easily accessed for component replacement as well. One other cool thing: the bass and treble controls are stepped attenuators rather than pots and use a bunch of hand-wired discrete resistors. Nowadays you mainly see stepped attenuators in boutique gear, so I was quite surprised by this.

Thus far, I've re-capped the unit (electrolytics only) and gotten the amp section working beautifully -- both DC offset and bias exhibit almost no fluctuation. A word of caution for anyone else recapping: the unit has a few bipolars, some of which are not marked on the PCB. I also replaced the mica and grease output transistor thermal solution with non-conductive pads (apologies to the purists). There were a few miscellaneous issues that had to be addressed, including a broken trace on the power supply board, and I installed a new relay for good measure. Unfortunately, it's not yet fully working; one channel of the preamp section is dead and both channels exhibit an abnormal amount of noise. Bad transistors seem a likely explanation. Luckily, the Six's pre section can be completely bypassed by removing the pre out to main in jumpers, so I've been using it happily as an amp. I'll make another post on sound quality once I've had more time to compare the Six to my other amps.

Pictures:
20190914_150521.jpg
20190914_145344.jpg
20190914_145402.jpg

As you can see, I have an affinity for WIMA caps. The stepped attenuator resistors are visible to the left.

20190914_145439.jpg

This cap on the protection relay board was bipolar even though the board has a polarity marking. Replaced with a bipolar to be safe. Relay is a new MY-4-02 DC24.

20190914_145503.jpg

Re-did the filter caps with screw terminals and spades. Ended up replacing a lot of wiring here because the old solid-core wires were brittle.

20190914_150114.jpg
20190914_150226.jpg

Love the perfectly symmetrical layout of this board.

20190914_150242.jpg
Power supply board looks kind of sad with modern Panasonic caps. It used to be more densely populated.

20190914_150253.jpg

Filter caps are 4,700uf KEMETs, same value as originals. Probably could have gone for more capacitance.

20190914_150426.jpg

Heatsinks are quite beefy but don't have much surface area. No matter -- they hardly get warm during normal operation.
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice work !!

Good idea to replace the signals in the pre-amp. Maybe it didn't use to matter as much, but with the 50 year mark approaching, I've seen as much if not more Sonic benefits of replacing signal transistors as caps.
 
@kevzep I used the trimmers to set bias and DC offset and they seemed perfectly fine. Do you replace them as a preventative thing? Didn't know they're a common point of failure.
 
@kevzep I used the trimmers to set bias and DC offset and they seemed perfectly fine. Do you replace them as a preventative thing? Didn't know they're a common point of failure.
Yes always a good idea to replace the trimmers. You can replace the DC offset one with a multi-turn to make adjusting easier.
Ageing trimmers can cause issues once you start moving them if they have been untouched for many years, I had this very problem just the other day.
 
The only thing I don't like about the design of the seven and six is that they put the driver boards right in the middle of the heatsinks for the OT's. This will allow those boards to get warmer than if they were separated from the OT heatsinks or other sources of heat. It will shorten the life of the driver e-caps. Sansui took a much better approach with the Eight placing the OT's on large heatsinks on the outside of the case and the driver boards freestanding inside on L and R.
 
In that case I'll order new trimmers along with the signal transistors for the pre. @KeithD that's an interesting point. OPT heatsinks on the outside do make more sense. At least the Six seems to be a cool runner -- I'm about to open up a Pioneer M-22 that seems to be over-biased and goes into thermal protection even on relatively cool days. I don't want to know what the caps in there have been subjected to.
 
In that case I'll order new trimmers along with the signal transistors for the pre. @KeithD that's an interesting point. OPT heatsinks on the outside do make more sense. At least the Six seems to be a cool runner -- I'm about to open up a Pioneer M-22 that seems to be over-biased and goes into thermal protection even on relatively cool days. I don't want to know what the caps in there have been subjected to.

Replace all of the 2SA640 transistors, and their NPN compliments. There are a ton of them, especially in the preamp.The noise floor will practically drop out of existence. Also, replace the 2SD330 regulators in the power supply with slightly heftier modern NPN transistors. I've had a few of the 330 go wonky. One was in my own SIX that gave out that powered the tuner. You can also get new repro labels for the buttons right here on AK (Bartertown) that are almost exactly like the originals. Just do a search and you'll find them.
 
The only thing I don't like about the design of the seven and six is that they put the driver boards right in the middle of the heatsinks for the OT's. This will allow those boards to get warmer than if they were separated from the OT heatsinks or other sources of heat. It will shorten the life of the driver e-caps. Sansui took a much better approach with the Eight placing the OT's on large heatsinks on the outside of the case and the driver boards freestanding inside on L and R.

I suppose they are there because of limited real estate. I don't see it as any kind of problem since the heat sinks radiate very little heat, and they have adequate ventilation for convection cooling. No heat is trapped. Use 105 degree caps and they'll last a good long time. My SIX barely gets above lukewarm, even when I push it.
 
My unit has intermittent tuner problems... power on and tuner works seemingly fine ( aside from no stereo light ) but after a few minutes it just acts like a switch is pushed and no activity from signal meter or speakers. Cool down for amother couple minutes and it will come back. Does this sound like a flaky 2sd330 regulator? I've recapped the entire unit along with the power supply already.
 
My unit has intermittent tuner problems... power on and tuner works seemingly fine ( aside from no stereo light ) but after a few minutes it just acts like a switch is pushed and no activity from signal meter or speakers. Cool down for amother couple minutes and it will come back. Does this sound like a flaky 2sd330 regulator? I've recapped the entire unit along with the power supply already.
Yep, it's possible that's it. Mine did the same thing when I first got it and that was the problem.
 
Back
Top Bottom