Thanks for that Pete. I was not aware of the 25 μs pre-emphasis but that certainly makes sense. Also the inclusion of metal film resistors and a few stacked film caps adds to the brightness. I will eventually change out the films for Muse but for now, yep, really happy with the soundNice work on a classic receiver. I appreciate the tip of the hat to my old post.
The Dolby circuit will make FM sound "bright" but there is no Dolby FM broadcast. That technology was stillborn, it never got off the ground. For Dolby to reduce noise, the media, in this case the FM broadcast, has to have the Dolby noise reduction encoded into the broadcast signal. The Dolby board is designed to decode that encoded signal.
From Wikipedia:
In the early 1970s, some expected Dolby NR to become normal in FM radio broadcasts and some tuners and amplifiers were manufactured with decoding circuitry; there were also some tape recorders with a Dolby B "pass-through" mode. In 1971 WFMT started to transmit programs with Dolby NR,[11] and soon some 17 stations broadcast with noise reduction, but by 1974 it was already on the decline.[12] Dolby FM was based on Dolby B,[13] but used a modified 25 μs pre-emphasis time constant[14] and a frequency-selective companding arrangement to reduce noise.
What you are hearing is the 25 μs pre-emphasis. That said, if you like it, no reason not to enjoy it.
- Pete
Isn't there a switch on the tuner board for pre-emphasis? Has something to do with european FM broadcast. In addition to the FM Dolby circuit,What you are hearing is the 25 μs pre-emphasis. That said, if you like it, no reason not to enjoy it.
- Pete
there is 75μs or 50μs depending on your region. Australia is 50μs. I understand the Dolby board adds an additional 25μs but Pete can confirm.Isn't there a switch on the tuner board for pre-emphasis? Has something to do with european FM broadcast. In addition to the FM Dolby circuit,
indeed it is. Well worth the effort. Brand new F-2624 and F-2655 PCB's are a superb mod. I've yet to try out @Hipocrates F-2619 RF PS but will do at some point.I believe it is an additional 25μs, but this is pushing the limits of my Dolby knowledge. On a different note, your new found FM clarity is also a function of the extensive rebuild you just finished. An audio bonus for your labor.
- Pete
Thanks for the ribbon part #s, new boards in hand and an 8080DB with the nasty green ribbon is in my future. Repopulating the board is above my pay grade but I'll give it a try.Some prep work needed to F-2654 Switch board
1 cap C07 10uF 16v and 2 trimmers VR02, VR03 100K repalced.
Switches cleaned
Even though this unit had the more robust (too robust!) black ribbon cables connecting F-2654 to F-2655, I wanted to use new flat cables as suggested by Lee (@Overundr1) a while back. These are DigiKey part numbers but I believe Mouser have something similar.
6-way 5" (12.6cm): A9AAT-0605F
10-way 5" (12.6cm): A9AAT-1005F
Does anyone have the BoM and their positions on this new Dolby board?
Nice. I used something similar on the EQ/Phono board to replace the green cables in an 8080DB and they did the trick!Thanks for the ribbon part #s, new boards in hand and an 8080DB with the nasty green ribbon is in my future. Repopulating the board is above my pay grade but I'll give it a try.
As an option I tried Arduino breadboard jumpers and they fit.
View attachment 3449952
Biroc-By the way, the drill files are tailored for JLCPCB - they require separate files for the plated and non-plated holes. This shouldn't be an issue generally with other suppliers, but If you encounter issues let me know.
Ok, thank you.Original BOM is included in Biroc's post, page 1 or so of this thread. I have also included a zipped BOM with Mouser parts numbers. The original Dolby NE545b is still available but I'm not sure of any equivalent.