• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Phase Linear Model 1000 Series 2

dread31

Addicted Member
I've had one of these in storage for a while, it was given to me by a friend.

Has anyone here used one of these?

If so, what were your impressions?

Dave
 
Register to hide this ad
I have one and I use it in my system. What it does is it has two types of circuits in it one is a dynamic expansion which allows you to make the highs higher and the lows lower or so they claim. The other is a noise canceling circuit this will take out tape hiss and to some extent static. The nice thing is you can switch it in and out via the monitor button so if you want it out of the circuit you can do it. I would say why not hook it up and give it a chance
 
Autocorrelator Noise reduction Dynamic Range expander. I'v used one for many yrs and was always impressed at being able to simply dial out annoying recordd and tape hiss without affecting frequency response. A 1 pass system, no encode/decode to work. Marvelous piece of Carver inventivness. It worked. No pumping or any abbrerations audible just hiss them no hiss. Dynamic expansion was abit more subtle in operation but could be heard on certain recordings. It opened up the peaks by a 3dB or so. Mostly you just watched the red led blink and would know it was wroking once set up properly. CDs don't need one, they don't have hiss, only the electronics do now.
 
I had one of the original 1000's I bought in Germany in about '76.Loved it.Worked on all sources kinda like a Dolby but better.Was kinda tricky because you had to readjust for different sources.
 
Same set up is built into my Phase Linear 4000 pre amp and I like it quite alot. I find that I have both activated more often than not. :yes: Bob he was a clever lad. Especially nice with vinyl. :thmbsp:
 
Alright, thanks fellas.

Getting back into tape after a loooong hiatus.
(I refer you to my latest aquisition pictured in the avatar.)
I'll patch it in and give it a whirl.

Dave
 
In my opinion, this is an essential element in a vintage system. However, you will need to DeOxit the controls, clean the connector contacts, and check for (and repair) any fractured solder joints. If not, this unit could be responsible for some pretty strange noises and behavior.

Enjoy,
Rich P
 
In my opinion, this is an essential element in a vintage system. However, you will need to DeOxit the controls, clean the connector contacts, and check for (and repair) any fractured solder joints. If not, this unit could be responsible for some pretty strange noises and behavior.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Done. Although I didn't spot any fractured solder joints. As a matter of fact, despite the fact that my friend is a smoker, this unit was amazingly clean inside. Just blew out what little dust there was, and cleaned the controls/contacts.

I did take note of the high parts quality used in this guy. ALPS pots? That's something you'd pay fat money for these days.

Also has a signed "Inspected by" date inside---Diane, 6-5-1980.

Unfortunately, it'll be a couple days before I get to set this up as my amp is in the shop for warranty work. It's due back on tuesday.:D
 
Dead thread resurrectionist here. I just picked one of these up and it is AMAZINGLY good at what it does. I'm doing a sort "final flyover" review of Bob's outboard processors (the ones I haven't run across before, and most of those have been pretty useful, especially the FM noise reduction processor, I have about five of those) and this one's my last stop. Pretty impressive!
 
Back
Top Bottom