• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Phono Pre-Amp

osubuc45

Active Member
I am debating buying a Phono Pre-Amp since my NAD C658 has a phono input. Will a dedicatred Phono Pre make a big difference? I don't know much about specs, but these are the numbers for the NAD phono stage. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • NAD phono stage.png
    NAD phono stage.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 29
Register to hide this ad
When you've already got a phono stage, I think buying a different one should be done on the basis of comparative audition. Do you have local dealers who can set up a comparison for you so you know in advance if your money is actually buying you better sound? If you have to shop mail-order, I'd suggest trying companies with an in-home trial period that lets you return the product if it doesn't prove satisfactory.

My experience has been variable. Phono stages in the $500-$1000 range that I brought home for audition proved better to my ears than the one built into my Linn LK1 preamp, but not as good as the one in my Audio by Van Alstine OmegaStar.
 
You can benefit from a separate phono preamp but it somewhat depends on your goals and budget.

For example whenn looking up the NAD C658 it appears that it only has a Moving Magnet (MM) phono output so if you want to switch to a Moving Coil (MC) cartridge then you will need a separate phono preamp that supports a MC cartridge.

In terms of how your budget might impact your decision (and assuming you don't want to switch to a MC cartridge) and you can only afford to spend $100-$200 then I don't know if you will get a separate phono preamp that is significantly better than the one in your NAD C658.

If you just want to dip your toe into a separate phono preamp that supports a MC cartridge and don't want to spend a ton of money then you might want to look at a Schiit Mani phono preamp which supports both MM and MC cartridges and will run you about $150.
 
I am debating buying a Phono Pre-Amp since my NAD C658 has a phono input. Will a dedicatred Phono Pre make a big difference? I don't know much about specs, but these are the numbers for the NAD phono stage. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Really depends on which outboard phono you are going to get. Some may be quite similar sounding to your inboard unit. Others will blow you away.
 
I built the CNC AK phono stage, if you are handy with a soldering gun you can try that. Now it's my number one phono pre, displacing my admittedly older Marantz PM44se integrated phono.

Maybe I should try for a recap in my Marantz.
 
An average stand-alone phono-pre can sound noticeably better than an average onboard phono-stage. The stand-alone unit doesn't have to share circuitry, or a power supply, with any other part of the signal chain. $50 can get you a TCC TC-750. Leave it on all the time. After a week of being powered up, it sounds quite good for a cheap preamp. Your options in the $100-250 range are numerous. I like the iFi Zen Phono, at $200. MM/MC capable, but with only minimal adjustment capability, you'll be listening instead of tweaking stuff. It has a rumble filter, four gain settings, and is almost unnaturally quiet. While I have moved up the food chain, the Zen is still my back-up.
 
When you've already got a phono stage, I think buying a different one should be done on the basis of comparative audition. Do you have local dealers who can set up a comparison for you so you know in advance if your money is actually buying you better sound? If you have to shop mail-order, I'd suggest trying companies with an in-home trial period that lets you return the product if it doesn't prove satisfactory.

My experience has been variable. Phono stages in the $500-$1000 range that I brought home for audition proved better to my ears than the one built into my Linn LK1 preamp, but not as good as the one in my Audio by Van Alstine OmegaStar.
NAD makes competent phono preamps; they'll be hard to beat.
 
Do you mean the built-in ones or an external one? I would love to keep with NAD as that is what my system consists of.
Built-in. I do not know if NAD makes a dedicated one. I had a model 3020 (not sure of the model #) integrated amp, and sound quality was superb, with a very quiet phono section.
 
Sorry, but actually their current PP 2e and PP 4 are not exactly great and difinitely not "hard to beat".

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
What would a better alternative be ? Musical Fidelity?, Schitt? Suggetions...
 
@osubuc45

From Six Acoustic, really let's the music through. A definite step up from the already great phono stage in the Carver C-16 preamp. Actually I was completely blown away, all I could think was OMG, 50yrs of spinning vinyl and I've never heard better.

IMG_20231219_230804809.jpg

Lots of loading options

IMG_20240127_084148478.jpg
 
Last edited:
@osubuc45

For a budget phono preamp (under $100), these also support MM and offer a couple of loading options.

 
I am debating buying a Phono Pre-Amp since my NAD C658 has a phono input. Will a dedicatred Phono Pre make a big difference? I don't know much about specs, but these are the numbers for the NAD phono stage. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
My experience with the Schiit Mani and the Schiit Skoll phono pre-amps has been really good. They are both relatively inexpensive and can be returned, if you don't hear much difference.
 
Reading the OPs post I hope he's aware that since his NAD has a dedicated phono input if he opts for a phono seperate you won't be using that input on your NAD, you'd use any other line input on that NAD unit. Save the money and spend it on another cartridge, see if you hear a difference.
 
How much are you willing to spend? Give us a budget, we can give you products! Are you wanting to stay with MM, or maybe make the jump to moving coil carts?
 
What would a better alternative be ? Musical Fidelity?, Schitt? Suggetions...

Problem is, that there doesn't yet seem to be a free download source for a service manual of your C658, so while I wouldn't deem it unlikely, that the priceworthy Schiit Mani 2 would already be quite a good bit better, I can't yet make an educated guess, that it would most likely actually be. I'd think, it would be worth a try, though.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Back
Top Bottom