• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Phono Pre-Amp

Problem is, that there doesn't yet seem to be a free download source for a service manual of your C658, so while I wouldn't deem it unlikely, that the priceworthy Schiit Mani 2 would already be quite a good bit better, I can't yet make an educated guess, that it would most likely actually be. I'd think, it would be worth a try, though.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Here are the specs
 

Attachments

  • NAD phono stage.png
    NAD phono stage.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 7
Reading the OPs post I hope he's aware that since his NAD has a dedicated phono input if he opts for a phono seperate you won't be using that input on your NAD, you'd use any other line input on that NAD unit. Save the money and spend it on another cartridge, see if you hear a difference.
Thank for the replay! I am aware of the NAD phono stage/ using aux input if I go outboard pre. , I have a Sumiko Mponstone cartridge and am very happy with it. If I decide aginst a dedicated phono pre, I will look at adding a subwoofer.
 
How much are you willing to spend? Give us a budget, we can give you products! Are you wanting to stay with MM, or maybe make the jump to moving coil carts?
500 bucks? but the less the better lol. and would my money better be spent on a sub to go with my Lintons?
 
Problem is, that there doesn't yet seem to be a free download source for a service manual of your C658, so while I wouldn't deem it unlikely, that the priceworthy Schiit Mani 2 would already be quite a good bit better, I can't yet make an educated guess, that it would most likely actually be. I'd think, it would be worth a try, though.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Phono Specs 1707104703579.png
 
500 bucks? but the less the better lol. and would my money better be spent on a sub to go with my Lintons?

Depends what you're looking for more bass or improvement overall. The York is right at the limit of your budget $549 Canadian.

I was lucky, another member suggested the York and I found a new in box example for less than 1/2 price on eBay.

Just checked eBay and I see they're being offered from Six Acoustic with free shipping for $422.97

I should say the ART Precision Pre in the budget pre shootout will be a definite improvement over those found in most all receivers or integrated amps, and many stand alone preamps as well.
 
Last edited:
I now use a $399 Schiit Skoll, it replaced my $3,000 Parasound JC3+ phono amp and $1500 Parasound JC3 Jr. It can be used with Moving magnet, Moving Coil, and Moving Iron cartridges and there are no DIP switches on the bottom to fool with, you change the settings with buttons on the front or the REMOTE control (!). I found it works better in my system than the $$$ Parasound phono amps because it is more adjustable.

 
Sorry, but actually their current PP 2e and PP 4 are not exactly great and difinitely not "hard to beat".

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
What beats them at that price? I'm sure there are better and much more expensive preamps available.
 
My guess is the C658, being quite new, has a decent MM phono stage. If you are serious, check out the QHW 'The Vinyl'. I thought it was excellent with both MM & MM inputs so can run two turntables.
 
For $369, the Darlington Labs MM-6B will give you more MM/MI/HOMC adjustment abliity than most preamps, and sound good doing it. I have the MP-7, and will be upgrading to the MP-8B soon, for LOMC capability.
 
So, here’s a question worth answering from the AKer’s that I am sure will invite a lively conversation:

What are the advantages disadvantages and or preferences of a dedicated tube phono pre-amp vs. solid state model?

Note: I am not qualified to have an opinion one way or the other
 
I now use a $399 Schiit Skoll, it replaced my $3,000 Parasound JC3+ phono amp and $1500 Parasound JC3 Jr. It can be used with Moving magnet, Moving Coil, and Moving Iron cartridges and there are no DIP switches on the bottom to fool with, you change the settings with buttons on the front or the REMOTE control (!). I found it works better in my system than the $$$ Parasound phono amps because it is more adjustable.


I’d recommend this one as well, unless you’re capable and willing to build yourself one of the better tube amp kits.

The Skoll sounds and looks very good, it has plenty of gain and loading options - and everything can be set with a remote control, making A-B comparisons quick and easy. Oh - they’re not only solid state but high voltage transistors (and NO op-amps), and they’re made in USA!

Schiit Skoll:

IMG_6638.jpeg

IMG_6639.jpeg
 
The remote is a cool idea, but I'm not that fidgety. I prefer set-and-forget, that way I spend more time listening to the music, and less time listening to the gear...
 
The remote is a cool idea, but I'm not that fidgety. I prefer set-and-forget, that way I spend more time listening to the music, and less time listening to the gear...

For what they sell for, you can forget the remote; consider it free. It’s still “set and forget“ but you can do that from your listening position and change settings without getting up. Switch things back and forth to hear what’s best - then put the remote away if you like.. :) Unless you’re wanting a really low budget phono pre (that sounds meh…), $399 for one that actually sounds very good is the direction I prefer to go.. Really, no matter to me which one anyone buys. I just make suggestions mostly based on personal experience. Good luck.. :)
 
Oh, I know what the Skoll is, and what it's about. It's a damn good idea, and I've seriously considered putting one in my system. I'm just going a different way. I'm looking at getting a new preamp, though, and I might wind up with a Freya+, so it's not like I have anything against Schiit, or their products. The Skoll just isn't the one for me.

Edit: Most importantly, I'd never try to convince someone that the Skoll would not be a good idea.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom