• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Photobucket giving it's users the $$$haft! No more image linking unless you pay!

It would be very unfortunate to not be able to see GD70's (or anyone else's) excellent pics in his multiple threads, and I agree, either way it's gonna be a PITA to correct it and keep them active. Alobar's comments in post #15 are basically identical to what I've always done - - - use a simple jpg file and it never needs to be larger than 100 KB.

What are other reasons why certain threads no longer contain the OP's pics?
When AudioKarma switched from VBulletin to XenForo,
a lot of older posts lost their images due to the database changes.
 
I always just upload my pics directly to AK. I keep the file size to about 200-300 KB, and the pictures are more than good enough.
 
Yeah I have had similar issues over the years.

Once upon a time Comcast offered their members free image hosting. So I would upload my images there, and post images in my threads via those links. Out of the blue they stopped the feature, without even giving their users a chance to copy the images to anywhere else first. I lost a lot of images with that, and if you see some of my very old threads (I've been her since 2002), some still have dead links to Comcast :(

At that point I decided to host my own web server. Most web users have an external IP address. Setup a web server on your network, route port 80 to your web server via your router, and boom, anyone on the internet can access images on your web server via your IP address. To make it "easier", I used a sub-domain, so that I could link images via the subdomain and then change which IP the subdomain points to if/when my IP changed. I've used that method for 10+ years now.

Unfortunately once I already had hundreds of images pointing to my webserver via the subdomain, the owner of the sub-domain sold it to another company. That company decided to change the business model and either force users to jump through hoops each month to keep their subdomain, or pay for it. At that point I finally got my own real domain via godaddy. Now I am finally at the point where I have 100% control over every aspect of my image hosting. As long as my webserver stays up, so will the images, and I pretty much intend to keep the web server up forever. I've gone in to as many of my old posts as I can and updated the links to point to my webserver on it's current domain.

The integrated image hosting feature with Xenforo is very handy also, but it has somewhat restrictive limits. Hosting from my own web server, I can link images in my post that are multiple times larger than the file limits of what can be uploaded, including 20+ megabyte GIF images, etc.
 
I've had my own domain and web host for the past 15 years or so. Links to pictures that I've put on my own server stay stable. I like the upload option which works nicely at least until the next software change. :rolleyes:

Mark Gosdin
 
I hate it when photos on AK are linked through outside accounts like photofu*ket. If I click on a photo to get a bigger image I get redirected all over the place and half time everything gets locked up or an ad takes over even though pop up blocker is on. Photos disappear from old posts around here all the time too when the OP moves on or drops his account and we end up with useless posts with that stupid picture of a kitten that says "Image Not Availale". I always just load photos directly to AK's server and they always stick around (unless we have another mega-crash!).

Hear hear!!
 
When AudioKarma switched from VBulletin to XenForo,
a lot of older posts lost their images due to the database changes.

Yep, then there was that huge crash way back and a lot of pic links and posts got lost. It happens but fortunately not very often. I'm always amazed at how well maintained this site is considering all the traffic it gets!
 
Free picture hosting that suddenly starts charging is hardly "greedy" -
its just that FREE is not a business model that works for very long
...I'm surprised its been free for this long!

Thats why I post my pix DIRECTLY into the forums I use ...
so 5 or 10 years later, THEY ALL WORK!
Well, unless the forum changes the software and breaks all the internal pix ...
:eek2:
Greedy as to the amount, not the practice. 100.00 a year, I could live with that, but 400 out of nowhere? Times how many millions of global users? No thanks.
 
I got the same notice. What I read said that outside access was always against their rules. "WHAT"? I used them because AK used to have a very small size limits for in forum pics, requiring every photo to be resized and resaved. It was just easier to use a pic service and post a link instead. As far as I am concerned, they can just stuff it.

If anyone goes to a thread that has one of my pics that are lost due to Photobucket, PM me and I'll replace the pic in that thread. I think that is about any of us can do.
 
Internet companies are, and never were, entities that I'd call reliable and trustworthy. Despite their PR grandstanding, they are still businesses that care most about their managers. BTW, at one time, I would have said ahareholders. I'm still utterly amazed at the goodwill that, say, Elon Musk or Apple gets from those that aggressively disdain Walmart or Exxon-Mobil.
 
Last edited:
They better give the option to have all your photos burned to disc and sent to you. I have 2 accounts full of images but thankfully, most of them are backed up in my computer
 
I've had no qualms about hating big oil and considering much of my employment was working for them indirectly. They have managed to completely corrupt our state as they have done elsewhere around the world, at least until they get their asses nationalized. . Still they usually pay their employees well.
 


This is a test of putting a bucket photo into an AK thread, today, using the IMG tag from the bucket not the direct tag, not the email & im tag and not the html tag.
 
Am I doing something wrong by posting that bucket pic? Of course, maybe that account is not on the bucket's list of accounts that can't third party link, I don't know. I don't recall seeing an email from them saying they want more money (any money is more money for me) or saying I can't use the IMG url to post my photo. You guys can see it right?

Do you see the low mass, anti-theft headshell attaching screw I have on this Magnepan? Used the torx wrench you see in front of the arm to change headshells. This is instead of the knurled knob the does not need a tool that my other arm has. There audio content instead of just bucket talk.
 
Am I doing something wrong by posting that bucket pic? Of course, maybe that account is not on the bucket's list of accounts that can't third party link, I don't know. I don't recall seeing an email from them saying they want more money (any money is more money for me) or saying I can't use the IMG url to post my photo. You guys can see it right?

Do you see the low mass, anti-theft headshell attaching screw I have on this Magnepan? Used the torx wrench you see in front of the arm to change headshells. This is instead of the knurled knob the does not need a tool that my other arm has. There audio content instead of just bucket talk.
I see your pic. Look at any of my threads, pics are gone.
I'll try a different way from now on.
 
I use(d) PB just to keep the load off the AK servers but I'll have to rethink it if they are going to start charging.
I've not received an email so maybe they are only going out to people who have a certain amount of photos on the site? I have maybe 3 dozen scattered around various threads here and other forums so they might not care about such small potatoes. Yet.
 
Weird, I just uploaded and posted s pic through Photobucket in another forum without issue. I know Photobucket links get messed up when I try to paste them in this forum and a couple other forums but it's been that way for a while.
 
Back
Top Bottom