• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pics of your listening space

What is the fourth bike on the right?
Like you I have an vintage bike but I only have one.
It's a 1983 Trek Frame They only made frames then.
Deep Green Metalflake
56 Cm Columbus SL tubing Campy dropouts
Cinelli Bar and Stem (the stem with the hidden bolt)
Campy Crank, Brakes, Derailleurs, seat post and bar cons (Nuovo Record)
Matthouser shoes on the brakes.
Avocet Seat
Campy hubs
HiLo flange 36 spokes on the rear
Lo flange (32 spokes) on front

Titanium BB spindle Alloy cups sealed bearings
Front rings 42x53
Rear cluster Zeus Titanium 7 Speed 13x21
Rims
Mavic GP-4 on rear
Fiamme Ergal on front
Continental sew ups
Silca frame fit pump
Look pedals
Alloy bolts everywhere
I originally had Campy pedals. Around 1990 I gave them to my brother. He is still using them. I had Performance Bike Shop build the wheels for me they have never needed more than retensioning and minor truing over the years.
There it is. Everything is an original part except for tape, tires and brake shoes.

I see 5 bikes.
 
So how are those 4430's working for you??? And is that a phone book on the table? I didn't know anyone still used them. :D

They are working really for me and they've found a home here. :D They do it all - across the frequency range, the most well rounded speakers I've ever had, just drop them in and start listening, no fussing with placement or sweet spots and a huge incredibly accurate soundstage, nice and efficient so no need for a huge amp. I'm using them with the 175WPC Sansui AU-20000 amp now. Not a phone book - it's the Goldmine Record Album guide, of course. :D

The shelves that are holding your LP's are sweet! Are they Ikea, home built or what? Nice space - thanks for sharing! :thmbsp:

They're IKEA Expedits. Tip: local Craiglist is full of these expedits for cheap or free at the end of the month when people are moving. 10 minutes to take apart, easy to move, 10 minutes to reassemble. :thmbsp:

I picked up the 5x5 unit for free. I have 4 of these units throughout the house, along with other shelves, full of vinyl. need to sort and move some duplicates out or get another Expedit!
 
They are working really for me and they've found a home here. :D They do it all - across the frequency range, the most well rounded speakers I've ever had, just drop them in and start listening, no fussing with placement or sweet spots and a huge incredibly accurate soundstage, nice and efficient so no need for a huge amp. I'm using them with the 175WPC Sansui AU-20000 amp now. Not a phone book - it's the Goldmine Record Album guide, of course.
And all from an almost 30 year old two-way design. I had my awakening almost two years ago after a trip to ZilchLab. I doubt I'll ever go back to speakers with multiple drivers that are difficult loads and take a bazillion watts to drive.

Of course; I guess I need to get me an album guide. :thmbsp:
 
Yep. B&W 683's. The updated replacement for their DM 604's

I note that you added some room treatment to improve the imaging on the 683's.

I also have just acquired a pair. Of course no two rooms are the same, but I am curious as to what improvements you gleaned. I find the imaging on these is outstanding - but happy to learn from other's experiences.
 
I note that you added some room treatment to improve the imaging on the 683's.

I also have just acquired a pair. Of course no two rooms are the same, but I am curious as to what improvements you gleaned. I find the imaging on these is outstanding - but happy to learn from other's experiences.
The 683’s do image extremely well.I don't know if I can explain my findings well enough, but I'll try.

Contrary to some things I've read, I actually find that putting absorption panels behind the speakers did a lot to clean up the small mess the reflective walls were making of the audio images---they removed a small amount of "ringing". Especially the ones laying horizontally and low. I see it like focusing a camera lens; things just get all the more clearer with the panels behind. Of course, working with absorption panels in a neutral-to-dead sounding room, I run the risk of over-damping. That is why I made these half-panels (12”x48”). They allow me a bit more flexibility to “tune” the set-up. Just the right balance of absorption and reflection.

picture.php
 
Last edited:
The 683’s do image extremely well.I don't know if I can explain my findings well enough, but I'll try.

Contrary to some things I've read, I actually find that putting absorption panels behind the speakers did a lot to clean up the small mess the reflective walls were making of the audio images---they removed a small amount of "ringing". Especially the ones laying horizontally and low. I see it like focusing a camera lens; things just get all the more clearer with the panels behind. Of course, working with absorption panels in a neutral-to-dead sounding room, I run the risk of over-damping. That is why I made these half-panels (12”x48”). They allow me a bit more flexibility to “tune” the set-up. Just the right balance of absorption and reflection.

picture.php

Ok - i see. From the photo I note the distance from the side wall to the speaker is somewhat shorter than what I have. I have about 1.2metres from each side wall to the cabinet; and about the same distance as you from the back to the wall - speakers themselves are about 8foot apart. So I haven't experienced the 'mess' you speak of. I did note however some 'distress' I suppose you could call it, in some female vocal higher-mid tones which I think I've fixed by very slightly increasing the toe-in. (I also note that large changes in staging can be had by very small adjustments with the toe-in with these babies). I also have them sitting on spikes on a hardwood floor (of the same colour) with a large rug in front similar to yours - scary.

...I love em :banana:

PS.. I'll flick a pic up later tonight....
 
Hey Draconus: Very nice room you have there. I like the color scheme and the wine-rack! Just my style; Speakers aimed at the sweet spot and a cozy area to relax.
 
touch of the blues

Our primary listening space serves as a catch all, multipurpose basement including movie theater (102" motorized screen mounted in the ceiling.) Lighting (lack of) is a problem, so I thought it would be neat to mount some blue compact flourescent bulbs in two wall sconces behind the screen (decided on the wall sconces after trial and error.) Looks cool even, well, just in general. The side walls are a light blue and the wall the sconces are on is a darker blue. The camera doesn't capture the effect well, so forgive the otherwise crappy photo (stupid digital camera).

normal:
DSCN1612.jpg


blue:
DSCN1617.jpg


gear (Rega P1, Rotel RCD-955AX, McIntosh C26, MC2105, Martin Logan Aerius)
DSCN1613.jpg
 
Super! I'd like to enjoy an evening in that space, for sure. How about a shot of the seating area?

that lighting is superb!:yes:
 
Our primary listening space serves as a catch all, multipurpose basement including movie theater (102" motorized screen mounted in the ceiling.) ...

Babylon 5!? ALL OF BABYLON 5!? ARE YOU A FAN OF BABYLON 5!?! I LOVE BABYLON 5 SO MUCH!!!

It is, in all seriousness, one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) science fiction series ever produced. It's one of the greatest science fictions ever produced, in any medium!
 
Here is the beginning of my listening space. I am waiting to get my Maxell "Blown Away" poster back from the framers. It's going right above the stereo stand. Still need to decorate it, but hell, it's a start!

DSCF0629.JPG


DSCF0630.JPG
 
I decided I needed to make more room for the recently acquired JBL 4430 studio monitors in my living room, so I moved the couch off the side wall and into the back of the living room, next to the kitchen & dining room wall / separator. I think it works well because now the couch is in the prime listening position. :tresbon:

I also moved the AU-20000 upstairs - for phono output with the Thorens on the 4430's. Other sources (primarily the tuner KT-9900) are hooked up with the McIntosh 2205 / Nakamichi C5 into the Phase Linear Andromedas. So, both sets of speakers co-exist pretty well in the room. :music:

livingroom003.jpg

Very nice!
 
Some crappy-ish cellphone pics. My Marantz 2110 tuner is back, fixed, aligned and re-capped by our own Mike Williams aka Punker X at RadioX and it looks and sounds very nice. (better than the pics)
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
 
Babylon 5!? ALL OF BABYLON 5!? ARE YOU A FAN OF BABYLON 5!?! I LOVE BABYLON 5 SO MUCH!!!

It is, in all seriousness, one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) science fiction series ever produced. It's one of the greatest science fictions ever produced, in any medium!

As if I didn't need more reasons to be happy here at AK, another fan of Babylon 5 and sci fi. When my boys were pre-school, my wife worked the evening shift, and often didn't get home until after 1:00 a.m. I would keep the boys up with me watching taped episodes of Star Trek, TNG, so they would sleep in for my wife. They have both become fans of sci fi.

Regards,

D-Ray
 
Back
Top Bottom