• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer HPM 100B vs Heresy III

You will want to think twice about horns with hard wood floors, especially if you have tinnitus. Bob Krites does some really nice work modifying Klipsch so you may have additional money to spend.
 
I have a similar setup with the hardwood floors and very tall vaulted ceiling space. Your walls are even tighter than mine so you can expect a lot of reflected energy which can make placement problematic. The room and placement has so much to do with the overall sound. Anyway, I'm not huge sub fan as I like a balanced sound and I only listen to 2 channel music (no HT). However, I have found that Heresy's and a sub are a great combination. The Heresy's were never meant to be a low bass speaker and the sub really rounds out their sound. I have in my living room Heresy I's (with factory risers) and a small 10" wireless Klipsch sub crossed over at 80Hz and it sounds amazing. The sub let's the Heresy's do what they do best (mid-bass and up) and provides that bottom end that many small speakers cannot reproduce effectively. It's a fantastic combo especially at the lower volumes I listen to in that room. But again, it's all personal preference and setup. Best bet would be to find someone who would let you try them out in your space if at all possible. And given your size restriction in those corners, a sub is most likely gonna make a big difference.

Good luck on your search and let us know what you settle on.
 
I also have Heresys, not just the AR's pictured earlier, they sound fantastic on my hard wood floors. If set up as designed the Heresys won't be all that bass shy, that is against the front wall, not toed in, sitting on the floor. Adding spikes really tightens up the bass, they sound really nice in my master bedroom.

20181202_221401.jpg
 
I don't think its a good idea to ship speakers. So you can say get XXX but you may never see them. Its not terrible to be stuck with HPM-100s for the time being. I looked at Austin CL and didn't see anything that turned me on.
I would keep an eye on eBay and CL for local listings and wait for something nice to show up. If it was me I would go big not small.
 
davidwh1, everyone replying here is thinking vintage. given your budget you certainly look at something new. Austin TX, arguably one of the great locations for music (if the reputation is deserved) has got to have a reputable dealer. Or if necessary, you're in between Dallas and Houston (I realize "this far" on the map is quite a ways in Texas) and you could make effort to find something in those cities.
No worries about shipping, condition of the speakers, or not least of all, if you'll even like them.
BTW, I just did a Yahoo search- austin tx audio store - and got five + results. You're short changing yourself if you don't go visit at least one of these stores. You can't expect something to just drop into your lap. Especially if you don't want to do this again.
 
I also have Heresys, not just the AR's pictured earlier, they sound fantastic on my hard wood floors. If set up as designed the Heresys won't be all that bass shy, that is against the front wall, not toed in, sitting on the floor. Adding spikes really tightens up the bass, they sound really nice in my master bedroom.

View attachment 1641398
Where do I find the spikes?
 
Quick follow up to previous post-
Looking a little further, Whetstone Audio (local to you, never heard of them before) carries this item (among others of course) reviewed favorably by Stereophile-
https://www.stereophile.com/content/neat-acoustics-iota-alpha-loudspeaker

This should encourage you to go out and look.
I am going to do just that. I like the vintage look - I am okay with older sets as well. But, I would like to find a pair that are reconditioned already - and I like the idea of having them bi-amped. I have been reading up on that and @grendadeslio mentioned he had dons some mods on his Heresy 1's. Regardless - your right I need to go and hit a few audio stores and hear them in person. The NEAT acoustics look really cool - I have to say - but as we all could attest - how they sound is whats more important.
 
I am going to do just that. I like the vintage look - I am okay with older sets as well. But, I would like to find a pair that are reconditioned already - and I like the idea of having them bi-amped. I have been reading up on that and @grendadeslio mentioned he had dons some mods on his Heresy 1's. Regardless - your right I need to go and hit a few audio stores and hear them in person. The NEAT acoustics look really cool - I have to say - but as we all could attest - how they sound is whats more important.
Yep, how they sound is what matters. I'm not saying don't go vintage. Shoot I got a room/garage full of it. I'm just suggesting with your budget to not limit yourself to not looking at current options.
You might even end up with some vintage speakers like these, after it's all said and done-

http://kef.com/uploads/files/en/museum_pdf/70s/Reference_Series_Model_105_2_r.pdf

So, we look forward to what you have to say about what you've heard as you make a decision! :)
 
This is just my opinion and everyone's taste in speaker is different....that said. I had every one of the Klipsch Heritage line over time and the issue I had was the mid horn and the tweeter horn produced somewhere around 15db peaks that hurt my ears when I turned the music up above back ground listening. Those horns were developed back before solid state and tube amp did not put out a lot of power. The horn was used for amplification. We have come a LONG way since them. The Pioneers are much smoother and still produce the fine detail as the horn in a Klipsch. Also, the newer Klipsch horns are not Exponential like the old horns so they are smoother as well.

And ctjetta is right. Got to get your speakers off the floor. If not, the bass gets muddy.

YUP. I so want to like Klipsch Heritage stuff.....but they kill my ears.

And another vote to get the speakers up so the tweeters are at ear level. If you do that, those HPMs will sound just fine.
 
OP, Hajidub nailed this, the klipsch will out perform the pioneer by a long shot. You can run duel subs w that amp just get one with line in connections, I'm runnin a set of Outlaws through a pioneer sx1080, 1978 model. I did not read all posts but do they have to be that small, if I had that big room and 3.5k and lived in Austin I'd be huntin down a real nice set of LaScala's. I have 2 sets, one set came up on CL and I callednthe guy and hauled ass over there before he got smart, 750 bucks. I hired my painter to bring em back to new looking, their black, and would blow your mind hooked to your rig. Their in a smaller room than yours, and the detail is astonishing, guess that's why their 10k. If the wife dont like their looks hunt down a set of Belle's, more formal looking but sound close. The Klipsch Heritage line is really hard to beat....Roost
 
Just my opinion but JBL is a loudspeaker, that's all their good for, you want loud, and cheap, JBL is the one. You guys with the hurting ears, I dont know, maybe the horns, I have the whole lineup and I'll listen soft in the house and blast in the garage and the ranch. Those speakers are so efficient its insane what 5 watts will do, the Scala's at mind bending volume are crystal clear.
 
A few AK threads suggest that the height for the HPMs are between 14" - 20" flat, or ~8" with a tilt. Your pic has them looking pretty low to the floor.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/recommended-stands-for-hpm-100s.70029/

Put your HPMs up on milk crates (cheap) to try out / test in your room. One's below were found on CL.

index.php
 
So op, maybe more important than speaks at the moment is the game tomorrow. Herman have our boys ready ? OU averaging 640 ypg so far, but who have they played right. Take UT and the points you say, their QB needs to be rattled early, need a big hit on him. Huge game man I cant wait
 
Just my opinion but JBL is a loudspeaker, that's all their good for, you want loud, and cheap, JBL is the one. You guys with the hurting ears, I dont know, maybe the horns, I have the whole lineup and I'll listen soft in the house and blast in the garage and the ranch. Those speakers are so efficient its insane what 5 watts will do, the Scala's at mind bending volume are crystal clear.

Don't take my tinnitus comment as specific to Klipsch. All horns set off my tinnitus including the best vintage Altecs and JBL's..
 
Have you tried them on top of the wall units? You may be able to use less imposing speakers if it works.
Nice room. What's his name said image is everything?

That's definitely something I would try! Probably would have to tilt them downwards a bit, or experiment a little bit with positioning. Give it a try and maybe you can save a chunk of change.
 
Don't take my tinnitus comment as specific to Klipsch. All horns set off my tinnitus including the best vintage Altecs and JBL's..
Ah, maybe a little hearing damage from going to all those USC games as a kid, developed a thing with all them damm horns from the band. JK bro !!! Roost
 
Where is OP, on his way to scarf a set of LaScala's i presume. I forgot what amp he had but a set of those, in black satin, would be insane in that big room, and look insane, as in killer, as in good. The wife can set pretty stuff on top how she likes it, that would be her input so she would feel better.

Guys here's what ole Roost is doin. Got a 72 samsung hung on the wall, I like to buy DVD's of concerts, but i have this little chicken shyt Bose system and it aint near enough. So i got to thinking how can i run that audio through one of my old vintage SS systems, was told i couldnt do it i would need to get an AVR, which they suck compared to say a sx1280. I use Save on Sound in Houston to work on my stuff, little Japanese dude thats been doin it for over 50 years, name Tom Tran, and he told me how. Cambridge Audio, who make badass shyt, makes a top shelf DAC, think i paid 250 for it. So i come from the tv to the DAC, from that to the monster sx1080, and from that to a set of Forte ll's, and also a Klipsch sub, gonna buy another matching sub. Now i should have the best o both worlds, top shelf video from the new Sony Blu-Ray disc player and new Sammy smart tv, and concert equivalent audio with that amp/speaker setup. I am almost ready to do the deed, prolly be two weeks, but have decided, and this is huge you guys know, for my maiden concert to be.......ACDC live from River Plate !!! its just like when you get a new system put together, you know the song you wanna test with, everybody has their go-to song...Roost
 
Back
Top Bottom