• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-4 in the house!

Register to hide this ad
My Christmas present for 1983, and my first real turntable. Resurrected it a few years ago, thanks to this site(and Beej's affection for the series).
 

Attachments

  • Dirt2.jpg
    Dirt2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Dirt3.jpg
    Dirt3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 52
OK, the problems have surfaced, sometimes it does not spin without a shove? :scratch2: Speeds are still flacky, speeds up on starting? May have to clean the pots more? :scratch2:

John.:music::D
 
Speed switch needs a deoxit bath. If you like I can send you my guide on how to disassemble and reassemble this series. SM totally sux in this regard. Shoot me a PM with an email address if you'd like the guide.

Nice unit overall; arms are awesome.
 
Speed switch needs a deoxit bath. If you like I can send you my guide on how to disassemble and reassemble this series. SM totally sux in this regard. Shoot me a PM with an email address if you'd like the guide.

Nice unit overall; arms are awesome.

Thanks, I remembered how to do it, Owned a PL-7 a while ago.:thmbsp:

If you have a schematic or caps parts list that I could use.

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
That table looks nice :) Hope you get it up to 1983 snuff ;)

Thanks, I like the tonearm look and how it sounds. Needs a foot repair too and I will do the cuing while it is apart this time.:thmbsp: I don't really need another tt in the house, just trying to keep mind sharp and myself busy..LOL.

John.:music::D
 
John, replied to your PM. See what I can get to you once I get back from vaca.
 
Have you tried taking apart and cleaning the old grease from the motor shaft and re-lubing it? Also clean the magnet and windings. I have had several of these I have worked on and it will slow the speed down and will not let the speed be set correctly.
 
I am still having issues..Need to clean or replace the Trim pots. Do the Values need to match the schematic? 47k/33k ?


IMG_1940 by jleon92f, on Flickr


Thanks, still having fun..:D
PL-51 schematic. 3.3 and 4.7 k ohm?:scratch2:
John.
 
Last edited:
UPDATE: tonearm switch ?

Hi , I think I finally got this working right! The tonearm switch was bad. I bypassed for now. Speed starts and stops fine now and remains steady!

Playing now!

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom