• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, the real deal or hype?

I just enjoy these speakers so much. I have them powered by a Nad C356BEE while I'm gaming on the computer in the man cave, and they never get fatiguing. They look good too! Or about as good as black vinyl can get.
Look for zonker92's thread where he painted his orange, they turned out pretty cool.:beatnik:
 
I saw those!. Oh wait, I think I saw the ones that an industrious fellow had re finished with laminate, or something like that. Painting, hmm.
 
Just got a pair of SP-FS51s & they are pretty amazing. Airy, delicate, wide sweetspot & soundstage (larger than speakers),...
 
Late to the party to try a pair, but believe the hype; these are for real.

I could see these being excellent speakers for a GI dorm room or college dorm room.
 
Better than they should be for the price they sold for, but bested by lots of my other speakers that I got cheaper on the used market.
 
A deal at street price, a steal at sale price.

However, where one may marvel at the power "they can handle" another might wish they were at least a little more sensitive. It's a low-budget transducer that sounds best with mid, or fairly high-budget, amplification. Well, most speakers do, but these maybe a little bit more so. I tried several new budget bookshelf speakers in our guest room with decent components (NuForce pre, Emotiva power amp), and the ELAC Debut B6 wound up being the Andrew Jones speaker that won my heart, and the spot. Sold the Pioneers. Yes, the B6 cost a little more, and are larger, but sure are worth it, imo.
 
A deal at street price, a steal at sale price.
However, where one may marvel at the power "they can handle" another might wish they were at least a little more sensitive.
....the ELAC Debut B6 wound up being the Andrew Jones speaker that won my heart, and the spot. Sold the Pioneers. Yes, the B6 cost a little more, and are larger, but sure are worth it, imo.
Sold mine too, partially for the reason that I listen at low to moderate volumes and the Pioneers sounded better at much higher levels but seemed, I don't know, kinda lifeless at lower volumes.
musichal, just wondering if you also got a chance to hear the 3 way Elac Uni-Fi UB5
 
Sold mine too, partially for the reason that I listen at low to moderate volumes and the Pioneers sounded better at much higher levels but seemed, I don't know, kinda lifeless at lower volumes.
musichal, just wondering if you also got a chance to hear the 3 way Elac Uni-Fi UB5

No. Read nice reviews, but I basically - these days - only hear what I order. I have a very nice-sounding pre/power combo for my small-speaker room, therefore... passive speakers.
 
I bought a pair of the original BS21's on Craigslist cheap a cpl years ago, I love them so much. I figured I'd buy a pair of the BS22's on craigslist too since they're so cheap what's not to love? more low end, better frequency response, seemed like a no brainer. I hooked them both up to my Sansui 551 receiver. What a massive disappointment when I switch between them. The BS21's sing beautifully, great clarity and eat up a bit of low end eq, the BS22's sound awful. No high end clarity, the lower mids are boxy, only adding way to much treble makes them listenable, and they still lack the sweet clarity of the originals. Oh well, at least they weren't expensive. Maybe i'll find a good combo for them with another receiver.
 
Sold mine after 1 month. I see the hype. The sound is clear and the bass is really quite something for a 4 inch woofer and there is good balance between the drivers. Good clarity excellent balance and beautiful cabinets.. Similar to previous comments, I compared against several of my other vintage bookshelves of similar sizes that i collect on the used market for very low prices and they were about the middle to bottom of the pack. Sound is subjective. I prefer a more forward tweeter.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom